Author Topic: Dimpling or pitted places in skin??  (Read 5625 times)

windy

Dimpling or pitted places in skin??
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:12:09 pm »
I am a little over two months past GK.  This week I have suddenly developed a large dimpling in my chin.  It is as if the skin is caved in and is permanent.   It is there in a relaxed position and also quite noticeable when I smile.  It is on the right side of my chin which is my AN side.  I also seem to have developed several pitted type places in several areas of my skin.  This has all ocurred this week.  The only way I can describe it as it is if I have moved fast forward several years in a wrinkled, almost acne scarred manner.  Has anyone ever heard of or experienced this?  I am worried that it is permanent.

I fear this is a radiation issue in connection to my skin.  My concern comes from the fact that I was advised by one radiation oncologist that people with systemic diseases (which is my case) do not handle radiation well.  They react abnormally.  All physicians I communicated with which was quite a large number, discounted what he said.  They said that pertained to large radiation only.  My fear is he may be correct.  I have an appt with my dermatologist scheduled for next week.  Right now, I am fearful and feel depressed about this latest occurrence.  If you can offer any insight to this problem it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! 
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Kaybo

Re: Dimpling or pitted places in skin??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 03:20:13 pm »
Windy~
I think that the dimple in the chin is very common.  I don't think mine showed up until after the last surgery (T3) but then again, I didn't really have much movement until then.  I have not heard about the other "pitted" places, but I am sure someone else will have more to say.  Keep that dimpled chin up!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

windy

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 06:15:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply Kaybo!  Based on the fact that you are my only reply, I suspect I am a "rare breed" in the AN radiosurgery world. This is good news for the others.  I think I have reacted more like a traditional surgical patient, in some ways.  Again, I appreciate your reply.
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:29:16 pm »
Hi Windy,

Sorry to hear about the latest development. I suspect the oncologists who said you would not have a reaction were basing that on the fact that AN radiation is very localized, so that only the tumor gets a high exposure. I don't know what sort of systemic disease you may have, and wouldn't know much about it if you told me, but I do think that radiation of a small area like an AN can still trigger some kind of reaction. Inflammation around the AN could cause strange effects elsewhere, for instance.

I suspect that the best you can do is consult with the dermatologist, and treat it however possible. I hope it is not a serious problem and that you can get some help with it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.