Author Topic: Post op headaches...what to do?  (Read 2475 times)

kellilovesjohnny

Post op headaches...what to do?
« on: October 11, 2008, 04:51:18 pm »
Hi,

We are new to this forum.  My husband had an acoustic neuroma removed on Oct. 7, 2008 and came home today.  Praise the Lord, they got it all.  He has been having TERRIBLE headache pain, they had him on morphine right after surgery, then they put him on Deloded which did nothing for his pain, now on percocet and steroids and is still having horrific pain.  I am sure it is normal, due to the fact that he ust had his head cut open, but does the meds usually help??  I hate seeing him in so much pain.  Also, it seems he feels pretty ok in the morning, but the afternoon is when the pain comes to stay.  I would apprciate any advice. 

By the way, we had amazing doctors, who were very thorough and knowledgeable here in Florida.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Post op headaches...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 05:35:28 pm »
Wow, I'm so sorry.  I had bouts of pain during the first week that could be pretty bad.  Medication always helped though.  I guess i would call the surgeon (or whoever is on call).  I hope he improves with each day. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Tamara

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 05:54:22 pm »
There may be a difference between a "headache" and an "incision ache".  I have never had headaches, either before or after surgery, but it felt like someone had stitched a baseball behind my ear after surgery and my head hurt a lot when I moved it.  The pain meds helped but they made me violently ill, so I gave that up before I even left the hospital.  It may be that the meds help the pain that's actually from the surgery, but a true "headache" may be a different beast.  Best to check with your husband's doctor.

Best wishes,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:24:42 pm »
Kellilovesjohnny:

Hi.  I'll assume you're the Kelli that loves Johnny, your husband.  Welcome to the forum but I'm sorry it has to be due to - not only your husband's AN, now removed,  - but these horrific headaches he's experiencing. 

We often say, because it happens to be true, that every AN case/patient is different.  Many post-op AN patients do experience headache pain and a few have very intense pain, as your husband does.  Our own 'Captain Deb' is the first person that leaps to my mind.  She has suffered for years but has her headaches in a more-or-less manageable state right now.  I'm sure she'll be responding to your query, soon.

It may take some 'trial-and-error' to find the right medicine in the right dose or combination to effectively treat your husband's headaches.  I would suggest your husband seek a referral to a pain management doctor as soon as possible.   

I know others will have more and probably better information (and advice).  I hope this headache monster can be subdued very soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kellilovesjohnny

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:51:45 pm »
Yes, Jim, I am the Kelli that loves Johnny :)

Thank you for the info.  They were giving him Decadron...didn't help, switched to Percocet...didn't help, so I called Dr. tonight and we are trying Loratab.  Praying that this pain will go away soon.  I will tell him what you have said.  thanks again, and you are right, every patient is different.

By the way, Johnny had a close to 2 cm tumor and they were able to remove the whole thing with no facial paralysis.  Most of his hearing was gone to begin with, so we can accept that it is most likely all gone.  The doctors said his surgery could not have gone any better. 

Kelli

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 12:04:44 pm »
After my surgery, Florida also, I had horrific headaches where they gave me morphine in hospital, then they felt it more 'migraine' as my cheif complaint was "Pain behind both eyes.", so switched me to fioricet and I went home with that.  At my 6-week visit I was still having horrible headaches and they felt it more rebound.  After describing my pain my surgeon then felt it more related to occipital neuralgia (had retrosigmoid approach) and sent me home with ibuprofen 800 mg.  This worked and was able to back off the dosage shortly afterward.  I now have occasional neuralgia-like pain where the incision area becomes numb (creepy crawly feel) across the back of my head to opposite ear too.  I place ice pak on immediately and this has headed off a full-blown headache. 

Perhaps this is what your loved one is experiencing. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

mrgarlic

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 05:40:45 pm »
greetings Arushi, After my AN surgery in 2004 I also had severe headaches. Another patient staying at same hospital came up with some help. However don't laugh. Popcycles !! It worked. Don't know how, don't care, it also helped with dry mouth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 06:35:33 am »
Oh yes, of course!  I forgot about the popcycles.  I did try ice cubes to the roof of my mouth and this did work by shrinking vessels, but did not hold in the long run.  Maybe ice to the back of the head and in the mouth!   :D
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear