Author Topic: options for headaches  (Read 2637 times)

philadelphia1

options for headaches
« on: January 07, 2006, 07:47:12 am »
I am more than halfway through my FSR treatment (26 treatments total) at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.  I have a small (<1 cm) AN on my left side relatively minor hearing , some balance issues and tinnitus.  Overall, all is going very well.  The staff is professional without being impersonal (or too personal).  I like Dr. Walter Curran because he answers my questions thoughtfully but without overselling. 

I am starting to get headaches and am trying to research my options before they get too bad.  From reading the board is seems like the major options are:
- ibuprofen
- steriods

My gut instinct is that I'd like to avoid steroids if possible as I am concernd of possible depression/emotional and blow up like a balloon side effects.  At the same time, I am not sure how frequently these side effects occur.  Can anyone share their experience about controlling radiation-related headaches?

ML
Philadelphia
<1cm AN
FSR (26 treatments), Dec 2005 - Jan 2006
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: options for headaches
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 05:36:24 pm »
Hi,

My headaches are post middle fossa not radiation but i take neurontin 3 times 300mg per day. At times, I have increased it up to double. I have had headaches for 3 years with no real sign of abatement. The neurontin does help a little.

cheers

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

jamie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 05:41:19 pm »
I took an ibuprofen 3 x day during the treatments and for a little while after. Took care of it fine. I'd try that before steroids.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 09:03:34 pm »
I took one tylenol extra strength every day before my fsr treatment....  after fsr I am getting headaches now and then but no headache lasts non stop for days... so i think the tylenol is working...

I want to avoid steroids too if there is any swelling as even flonase makes me fly higher than a kite sometimes.

flagger

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 11:27:00 pm »
Good luck with your recovery!  Yes,  The worst were immediately at the end of treatment.  headaches from hell.  I just used Advil and went to bed for awhile.  They grew fewer quickly and after a month only 1 or 2 times a week.  By 6 months gone forever!  I had my treatments at Wills Eye under Dr David Andrews also Thomas Jeff Doc.  Doing great 6 years later. I wish you the same. K
(I have a theory about the headaches and radiation.  I think we must have a natural filter from some of the sun's rays that the radiation temporarily destroys.  Mine seemed to occur after exposure to sun light.  Try sunglasses.) 

Kilroy1976

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 07:00:49 am »
There is a barbiturate that is used for migraines that can be very helpful. The one I took was called Fioricet, but there are several drugs similar to it. If you just need something to get you over that hump immediately following radiation, "talk to your doctor about Fioricet."

steroids are evil
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida