Author Topic: Looking at an MRI after surgery  (Read 4574 times)

Mark

Re: Looking at an MRI after surgery
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 07:15:30 pm »
I did not even know about Cyberknife, but after reading about it now, it seems like it would be better endured since you don't have to have a frame screwed into your skull. I wonder if it is as accurate as Gamma Knife?

Under the category of FWIW ( for what it's worth). Yes, CK is actually slightly more accurate than GK with a total error tested around .8-.9 mm. GK typically is shown to be in the 1.1 to 1.2 mm error range. Total error for these machines is typically comprised of 1) the machine itself, 2) the CT scan and 3) the frame ( GK only).  The accuracy difference is not significant in choosing between these two machines but can be in considering other radiotherapy machines where the error range can be from 2-4 mm. Primary difference between CK and GK is not needing the frame and the option to do fractions.

For inquiring minds  ;)

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 06:18:58 pm »
i learned early on that if i didnt understand the Dr.s explanations, it was my job to bug them till i did.

the mri stuff and cat scans seemed to me to be a mess. LOL

but the Dr. i have had took the time to show me what the important details were . and that was good especially post surgery........

Steve W...... Seabrook Tx
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Gloriann

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 09:45:21 am »
I met with the radiologist at the hospital and the tumor showed up very well on his screen! Since he could magnify the image I could see it better than on my computer screen here at home. There is no doubt in my mind now that this is not scar tissue, but is a recurrent tumor.
I took a tour of the Gamma Knife facility one day last week at the hospital, but after reading about all of the risks involved with this strong dose of radiation, I have deceided not to have it done right now and maybe not at all.
One of the surgeons involved with my surgery 7 years ago talked to me recently and said that a second surgery, like the one I had 7 years ago, would really not be any more riskier than Gamma Knife. He said the facial nerve would not be an issue now since it was re-routed with the nerve graft, so they could go back in and get it all this time.
This is "food for thought".
4 cm AN removed 2001- Memphis, Tn by
Dr Gale Gardner and Dr Jon Robertson

7/12 nerve graft 2002- Dr Jon Robertson

gold weight 2001 Memphis, a few days after tumor surgery- Dr James Fleming

Gamma Knife done December 29, 2010 at LSU Shreveport

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 10:16:26 am »
Gloriann -

I'm sorry to hear you have regrowth.  I was hoping it was only scar tissue.

It's good to know that you have the option of GK or surgery.  Take some time to think about your options before you make a decision.

Remember we're here to support you regardless of the choice you make.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 01:48:20 pm »
Hi, Gloriann:

While the news from the radiologist was not what we had all hoped for (scar tissue), at least the mystery has been solved.  Unfortunately, it's a regrowth.  Now the question is: what to do?  You appear to be hesitant regarding radiation treatment and leaning toward surgery, which is certainly your choice to make.  No matter what others might think or do in this situation, it's hypothetical to them but very real-life to you so that decision (surgery vs radiation) is yours, alone, and we'll support you in whatever approach you decide to take.  I would suggest being a bit cautious and not feel rushed into a decision, as it really doesn't seem necessary at this point. 

We wish you peace and a good outcome from whatever treatment you decide on.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:55 pm »
Hi Gloriann,

I am glad to hear that you finally got to a clear answer about what is going on. I think watch and wait is a fine plan; I might want that next MRI in 6 months instead of a year, but that is just nit-picking.

There are plenty of people here to discuss treatment options with, if you are interested, and who will support you if and when the time comes to do something.

Meanwhile, take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Gloriann

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 08:31:29 am »
I just wanted you all to know that I saw the neurosurgeon on July 11, the one who operated on me back in 2001. This time he took more time looking over my last 2 MRI's. I was satisfied with the way he compared them, instead of only looking at the last one alone, the way he had done in the past. He recommended Gamma Knife to treat this, if it continues to grow. He is not in favor of my having a second surgery, like the ear surgeon had talked to me about in May.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 08:55:39 am »
Gloriann,

Thanks for the updated post on your dx of regrowth.  I'm curious to know if a neuroradiologist has been included in the dx and what size do they put this regrowth at?  I see you have had nerve grafting and maybe another surgery will be too much for the nerve.  How do you feel about the GK treatment?  You have to be feeling somewhat more comfortable now that another opinion is considered, but this in no way makes it any easier on you.  All my best to you during this time--blessings to you and your family!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Gloriann

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 08:28:25 am »
The radiologist who has been reading most of my MRI's has put the regrowth at 10 mm by 17 mm at the present time (in March), but the neurosurgeon got slightly smaller measurements (10 by 15). There was another radiologist who looked at my last two sets of films about a month ago, along with the ear surgeon who operated on me, and their measurements were also smaller.

I was hoping this could still be just scar tissue, but I think we have pretty much ruled that out now.

The ear surgeon told me that since my facial nerve had been grafted and re-routed, it would not be a factor in a second surgery, but the neurosurgeon told me that it would be at risk. Different doctors with different opinions, even if they have worked together.

I am feeling more comfortable with Gamma Knife now because the way Dr Robertson explained it, when I told him I am afraid of the risks, is that when GK first came out they were using too high of a dose of radiation and this caused too many complications. He said now they use less and the complications have gone down from 14 to 1 percent. He said when a person reads in a pamphlet or brochure about possible risks involved they don't see these percentages. I am glad he shared that with me.

robynabc

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 12:21:37 am »
He also told me that I did not ever have to have any more MRI's done or come back to his office.

What the H....?  Why would your doctor say that.  To me that is a problem . 

I am sorry you are having a recurrence.  Listen to your intuition.  It is so hard when you get so many opinions.   

Robyn 
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.