Author Topic: Anyone have a creased thumbnail on the affected side?  (Read 11774 times)

Tumbleweed

Anyone have a creased thumbnail on the affected side?
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:46:59 pm »
Some people may consider this a bizarre post, but has anyone noticed deep ridges or creases across the width of their thumbnail on the side of their body their tumor is on? My thumbnail on the left side (only the left side) developed deep creases beginning several years ago, a few years after my symptoms began.

There is a theory in natural-healing circles that the health of the body is reflected in the condition of the fingernails. For example, prominent "moons" are considered a sign of vigor; interestingly, these generally disappear with age. Some marks on fingernails are nothing more than mineral deposits. But deep ridges or creases are considered signs of stress in associated internal systems or organs. The thumbnail, if I remember correctly, is associated with the health of the endocrine system. The study of fingernails as indicators of health is unsubstantiated and admittedly on the fringe; so, even as an avid "student" of the natural-healing arts, I haven't paid much attention to fingernails. But I find it fascinating that all my fingernails except that on my thumb on my affected side are really smooth and pink, with prominent moons, yet my thumbnail on the affected side looks horrible -- like a rough, unpaved roadbed with a washboard pattern. The creases are most obvious when looking at a sideview of my thumb.

It would be fascinating to learn of other people having deep creases across the width of their thumbnail on the affected side. Anyone?

Thanks,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Kaybo

Re: Anyone have a creased thumbnail on the affected side?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:24:33 pm »
Tumbleweed~
I have "ridges" on ALL my nails (vertical from bed to ends) - they didn't start until my 20's (actually I noticed it after taking off acrylics after my wedding at 24).  Most of the women in my family have them and we all have thyroid issues.  The lady at the health food store told my mom it was caused by the deficiency because of the thyroid problems...that is all I know...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:59:31 pm »
Most adults have multiple superficial ridges along the lengths of their fingernails. This is normal and thought to be a sign of stress in general; the toll of life's stresses. I've noticed my vertical ridges in the past have become more prominent when I'm overworking and not eating right. They get more superficial when I'm taking good care of myself.

The creases across the width of my thumbnail are another matter. They're so deep, my thumbnail actually looks lumpy.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Tumbleweed

lori67

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 07:58:54 pm »
Just checked mine and no ridges.

Does a purple spot under my pointer finger nail mean anything other than I should move my hand out of the way when my 5 year old is trying to hammer in a nail?   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 08:07:30 pm »
Considering the fact that I am NOT a stressball, nor have ever let things "get to me" - I think I will stick with the nutritionalists theory that it is thyroid related!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 08:10:57 pm »
Could very well be, K. I wasn't discounting what your nutritionalist thought. We might also be talking about something different. A picture is worth a thousand words. I just wanted to assure everyone who has the garden-variety vertical ridges on their nails that they don't all have thyroid problems!

Tumbleweed

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 09:33:35 pm »
No finger/thumb nail creases for me - AN side or non-AN side  ;D

Guess you're just "special" Tumbleweed LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 07:04:45 am »
Tumbleweed,

I have read and heard the same thing that by using the fingernails, but also the eyeballs you can roughly determine one's general health. Like a barometer of your health. Looking closely I can see tiny ridges on about all of my fingernails. No gullies though. You have a unique nail. Did you have any physical damage that could have occurred in the growing point area of the nail? I was impaled by a black spiny sea urchin in that growth area. The nail grew out all funky looking until the damage area grew out until clipped away. You may not even remember hitting your finger against a wall, door, tree, dog toy, kid toy etc.  :-\
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:54:47 am »
Hi Tumbleweed,

I have a crease on my right thumb nail and its been there for a few yrs, but my facial neuroma is on my left side.  Interesting and maybe something else I can read up on.

Let me tell you as a woman, nail polish is a b****h to apply on my right thumb nail!  >:(  I try to smooth the crease down with an emery board and buffer for better application of nail polish.  That's just a FYI ::)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:00:28 am »
Sabuck: there's been no injury to my thumbnail that I can recall. And it's been wierd looking for several years now. It's a mystery.

It seems like there is probably no direct connection to my AN, as nobody else is reporting the same thing. Must be simply a case of Ugly Fingernailoma.

Best,
Tumbleweed

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 02:19:07 pm »
Tumbleweed:

While I'm skeptical about the theory that your fingernails are indicators of your state of health, I won't dismiss it out of hand. 

FWIW: My left (AN side) thumbnail is identical to my right with a 'full moon' on each. No significant ridges.   Oh, well.

Whatever caused your deep crease/ridges on one thumbnail is, as you noted, probably not AN related.  You may never know the actual cause for it, but I wouldn't be too concerned.  Lots of folks have small abnormalities on their body that are basically meaningless.  Consider it a sign of your uniqueness.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 03:59:42 pm »
Jim,

While I'm skeptical about the theory that your fingernails are indicators of your state of health, I won't dismiss it out of hand.

Good pun!  :D
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

claire1

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 10:30:59 pm »
I have a Left AN and the left thumb nail is the only nail that has a half moon on it. The other nail beds on the left hand doesn't have any moons at all.
In the hospital, their always looking at the nail beds of patients, not only to see the whether there is cyanosis but disease of the beds. (I think)

mema

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 04:46:19 pm »
I've had ridges in my fingernails for a long time.  Can't remember when I didn't.  I am very stressful and have thyroid problems.  But my mother who is 81, no health problems at all, never been on  or  is on any medicine has  ridges on her finger nails too.  I guess I inherited her nails, not her health.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 07:24:25 pm »
Actually, yes, I do.  My right thumb developed those creases about a year ago, roughly the same time I began to have symptoms.  Coincidence? Or just strange nails?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.