Author Topic: Surgery scheduled for Monday, June 30th  (Read 10805 times)

Tumbleweed

Re: Surgery scheduled for Monday, June 30th
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 10:47:05 pm »
Hi, Julie:

I just now noticed your signature says you have a 2.7mm by 3.7 mm AN. Is it really that small? Your symptoms are quite significant for a tumor that size. Did you really mean to write that it is 2.7 cm (centimeters) by 3.7 cm?

Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

JulieW4

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 12:48:29 am »
No Tumbleweed, I have the dimensions correctly.  At first the MRI report didn't have the size of the tumor so I requested that the radiologist determine the size.  Plus, I felt left out because everyone else had the size of their tumor on their tagline.  The size is why I investigated GK and CK but ended up deciding that surgery was best since every doctor consulted remarked that the growth pattern was very atypical, plus every doctor also felt that I could also possibly have a facial schwanoma.  I really feel I am making the right decision for me.  It is a small tumor, but it does seem to be a mighty one.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Tumbleweed

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 10:05:14 am »
Their suspicions about it being a facial schwannoma make sense. From what I've read and observed as a layperson, the facial nerve is usually more resilient with vestibular schwannomas and usually isn't affected until it's a much bigger size than yours. Your facial symptom probably makes it more likely the tumor originated on your facial nerve. Of course, I'm no expert. Your doctors know best.

Good luck with your surgery, Julie. I hope your recovery is speedy and complete.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 02:14:01 pm »
Julie,

Will someone be updating us on your behalf?
I know it will be difficult, but do try and get some R&R over the weekend. I'm praying for surgeons with steady hands, and pray that your surgery will go well.
Keep us posted.

Syl
Recent newcomer to postieland
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 06:15:46 pm »
Julie~
Good thoughts and many prayers for you, your family and your doctors on Monday.  I hope you can relax a bit and have a peaceful weekend.

K
PS-I will be in SA in August & would love to get together if you are interested; however, I will be with my hubby's family and will not have a car...we will be staying at the Hyatt Hill Country.
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 10:12:29 pm »
Julie,
Good luck on Monday.  Wishing you a speedy recovery with no complications.  Please let us know how you're doing when you are up to it.
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 07:19:46 pm »
Julie -

best wishes on tomorrow's surgery.  I hope everything goes well for you.

We're all anxious to welcome you back here as a postie!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JulieW4

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 08:31:45 pm »
I probably won't get any sleep 2nite, but I know I have a lot of people who are sending me positive thoughts and prayers.  My best friend Denise will be updating everyone on my progress until I can personally do it.  She has been my co-researcher during this process.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 09:59:29 pm »
Julie:

Allow me to throw in very last-minute good thoughts for your incipient AN surgery.

I'll join many others in thinking of and praying for you today and as you recover.

We'll look forward to your friend Denise' postings on your behalf.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 10:09:55 pm »
Julie -

don't worry about the sleep.  You'll get plenty tomorrow during your surgery and hopefully much more during your recovery  :)

I'm glad that Denise will be updating us; a big thank you to her.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 09:01:11 am »
I'll be thinking of you today, Julie!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

JulieW4

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 08:40:01 pm »
Hi,
This is Denise, I am posting for Julie, who wanted me to keep ya'll updated.  She had the best of all possible outcomes.  The surgery was just about 5 hours.  They discovered it was an acoustic neuroma and not a facial schwanoma (i know i spelled that wrong).  The tumor was around the facial nerve, but not part of it.  So the nerve was left intact and healthy.  The atypical part - was that the tumor had grown into the cochlea - perhaps because of her bone structure?  They removed all of the tumor. She has some minimal facial drooping, which could increase a bit in the coming days BUT they expect a complete recovery as the nerve is in good shape.  She was doing well tonight, sipping juice and complaining of pain at the site.  She's had a lot of morphine but remains clear as a bell - thinking maybe she was hitting some drugs on the side and has a tolerance we didn't know about? ::) Just kidding!  She was beginning to doze and rest a bit and although the pain was still there she seemed to be able to sleep in brief moments.  I did tease her a bit, they kinda left some gel in her a la' something-about-mary style!! 
she's wondering if ya'll have any advice about dealing with the pain at the site? i'll check here in the morning before i go to see her.

ya'll are great and julie talks about what a difference you've made at this difficult time.  Thanks for being there for my best friend!
- denise
dlmoore83@yahoo.com
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 08:45:13 pm »
Denise -

thank you SO much for updating us - and for updating us so fast!  I was amazed to see a post this soon!

I'm glad to hear that Julie is doing so well  ;D

You don't mention the BAHA implant; did she get one?

I don't have any advice about site pain - I didn't have any thankfully.   I'm sure someone will offer some advice for this problem before the night is through.

Please give Julie our best  :)

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 10:14:18 pm »
Denise~
I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for the pain but I am so glad that everything went well!  Who knows about that drug use??   ???   ;D

Give her a big hug for us!!  Thanks for updating - what a good friend!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 12:33:01 am »
Very good, thanks for the update, Denise. As for post-surgery symptoms, the first three days don't count. :)

Tell Julie we look forward to seeing her back on the forum soon. You're welcome to visit anytime too.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.