Author Topic: Small ANs vs. Big ANs  (Read 8261 times)

wendysig

Re: Small ANs vs. Big ANs
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 07:23:19 am »
Nancy,
I have to agree that small vs. larger tumors probably don't make a difference, as in real estate its location, location location.  I have (or possibly had small tumor 1.3cm -- that remains to be determined by a follow-up MRI.   My doctor thinks my tumor may have recently grown) and in the past 6 weeks lost 66% of my speech discrimination.  My tumor is located in the IAC but very close to my choclea (spelling?).  In fact he thinks there is a chance it is going into my choclea and that is the reason for the new MRI.  I also have balance issues.  So as you can see, with  ANs, nothing is certain.  Hope this helps.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

FlyersFan68

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 08:55:54 am »
Do bigger ANs cause more problems than smaller ANs like mine.  In other words, if I'm just carrying around a "baby" AN, then maybe I should just wait and watch a little longer.  I don't like the hearing loss (had some this past year) even though it's not the worst, but I also know that I don't want to lose any more of my hearing.  Do you have a better shot at maintaining your hearing if you zap this thing now when it is itty bitty (I'm leaning toward gamma knife)?  Also, my AN didn't grow for over 2 1/2 years after diagnosis.  Now it has grown one mm.  What are the chances that it will grow more and how much.  My doctor said at my age (49) it will probably continue to grow.  Anyone had small growth, then none for awhile, and then growth again.  I guess these are unpredictable.  I asked my doctor what would he do if he had this AN in his ear, and he said he would do the gamma knife.  I would hope he was being honest with me.  Thanks.  Nancy

I believe bigger AN's cause more problems following any treatment. Smaller tumors usually have better treatment outcomes but every tumor is positioned differently. Larger tumors tend to make complete removal a bit more difficult as they stretch the facial nerve. Also, hearing is harder to save during surgery for larger AN's. In regards to radiation for larger AN's, there tends to be more swelling involved post treatment for larger AN's. Better results are generally seen with smaller tumors following radiation but this is not universal. It's good that you found yours early. Long term results are very important regarding radiation. Pre-treatment, smaller AN's may cause the same or even greater damage than larger AN's. Nearby structures are pushed against interrupting the blood supply simply because of the small area that they arise. This is the reason people eventually opt for treatment. Your best chances for hearing preservation is through waiting and watching. Even though GK and mid fossa surgery maintain the actual hearing nerve, hearing does usually deteriorate over time. CK is off to a great start with hearing preservation and it should be purued but remember that the results are still short term. Gamma Knife may have worse hearing preservation than CK but we have more long term data on GK. Gamma Knife is designed for cranial use only and has fewer moving parts. It seems that you are unsure which way to go. Keep researching and take some more time. You've already waited over two years. Sure it's gonna grow over time and you will have to decide one day. You can still lose hearing by doing nothing at all but make sure you figure everything out first. Family, work, insurance, medical opinions, other advice, personal desires and expectations. I had surgery four years ago and it still seems like yesterday. The years will go by fast so consider the long term with your short term. I was never the best with many optiopns either. I wanted to know the results beforehand then decide what I wanted  which we all know is impossible. Hang in there.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 05:15:01 pm »
Hi,

At this point, my only real reason for considering treatment is that I don't want to lose any more hearing.  I feel like if I lose any more hearing I won't be able to do my job as a social worker.  If I hear worse than I do now, I am in trouble.  So this is where I am in my decision making process.  With an adult it is a little more acceptable to ask them to speak up, but with children it is often hard to do (especially if you are working with really sick children).  I feel like I have a lot at stake here just as each and every one else has here.  No one wants to have all of these side effects.  It totally sucks.  Some days I don't find anything positive coming from this whole process even though my AN is small, and I don't have extremely bad hearing, just enough to bother the heck out of me.  There are so many brave people here, and I envy that.  Hopefully I'll find something good along the way.  Take care.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

FlyersFan68

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 06:37:57 pm »
I know what you mean. Even though it's a small AN it doesn't take away the fact that it's there and it will need to be addressed at some point. Damage is damage whether it's caused by a larger AN or a small AN. My wife is a social worker too at a local hospital. She finds placement for various situations. I can understand the stress of your profession. Please know that if one day you do lose your hearing on one side it doesn't mean you won't be able to function at a good level. Yes it sucks. It sucks because you've already lost some hearing and you risk losing more even by doing nothing. We all relate. Just remember (worst case scenario) that you still have another good ear and you would be surprised how well one can function on just one side. My co-workers don't even remember that I'm deaf on my right. Even if you lost more hearing through waiting, radiation or even mid-fossa you still might be a candidate for a hearing aid with any of the three. Your results really do depend on the location of the tumor. The cochlear nerves are immediately below the inferior vestibular branch and makes hearing preservation more difficult. This was where mine was located. These tumors are very indivudual so physicians cannot guarantee the outcomes even in regards to radiation. You can only see so much on the MRI. Anyway, I sincerely hope that you forever keep the hearing you do have left but if you don't you will learn to adjust like the rest of us. What choice would you have?  Even though I had useful hearing prior to surgery it was frustrating at times with the distorted sounds so I understand your grief.  Best Wishes!

Nancy Drew

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 08:55:35 pm »
Thanks FlyersFan!  You give nice encouragement, and I appreciate that.  Before the hearing loss in my AN ear started, I actually had better hearing in it than my non AN ear.  I haven't looked into hearing devices yet so maybe that will be an option I will explore if needed down the road.  Everyone has their stories to tell, and it is always interesting to see how people learn to cope.  I think wondering what might happen is the hardest part for me, and perhaps if I do lose my hearing I will learn to deal with it as you have.  Acceptance brings power to one's life.  So many people on this site give me a lot of hope.  Thanks.  Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Mark

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 10:30:30 pm »
Nancy,

Since you are particularly concerned about the hearing preservation aspect of treatment you might be interested in the following exchange on the CK board earlier today between an AN patient and Dr. Medbery

After CK treatment for an acoustic neuroma, what happens to hearing preservation? Does it drop off over years to come, such as 10 years from treatment? If so at what percentage?

If there is to be any hearing loss, it is usually within the first 2-3 years, although late hearing loss is possible. About 75% of AN patients treated with CK will retain serviceable hearing.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

I'm roughly 7 years post treatment and my Speech recognition score is the same as pre -treatment ( 100%)

Good luck

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

FlyersFan68

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 06:12:11 am »
Nancy,
  Make sure you keep up with your audiograms. More importantly, make sure you know how to read them. Anything over the 20 line is normal. Mark offered some good advice about the doctors on the CK support group. I thinks it's great that those guys dedicate their time like that. As far as time goes, I still feel that they can only generaize what might or might not happen later following treatment. The question asked was based on 10 years or more and CK had been in use since about 2001. They may have been installed around 1999 but not many were treated until around 2001 or 2002 so ten years would be around 2012.
However, Mark has personally retained 100% speech recognition and that is very encouraging. I still think that for a very small tumor and having losses in your good ear that waiting may be prudent. Steroids may even be able to clear up noticeable sudden losses. If you would like to share more information regarding your hearing and possibly your age that could help with advice. Even though rare, NF2 should at least be discussed if you are younger because the odds decrease over each decade. Just some more information (like you needed it).  ;)
Mark, did you break out that old Flyers jersey for the playoffs. If so, keep it out for next year.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:44 pm »
Hi FlyerFan,

I am 49.  My AN was found by accident.  I wasn't really having any major symptoms at the time, and I can't say that they are the worst now, just bothersome.  I just don't want the hearing to get any worse because I know it is frustrating enough as it is.  I think you are right that I should learn more about reading my hearing tests.  The doc showed me something at my last visit, and I think my AN ear went from about 20 to 35 in a year.  I'm not sure about the other ear.  Word recognition is the worst part.  I feel like I miss out on a lot.  Either I don't understand the words or I just see lips moving if the person speaks softly.  As for prednisone (and possibly other steriods), my AN doctor suggested that as a possbile option early on.  However, I have bipolar disorder and when I took prednisone once for a sinus problem, I sunk so low into depression that I wanted to kill myself.  My psychiatrist said to never take steriods again.  So I want to be very cautious because I have a fairly good handle on the bipolar right now.  My psychiatrist and AN doctor know each other so I think that is something they could discuss.  Do you know of anything else that can be used to decrease swelling?  I haven't researched that.  I haven't seen my psychiatrist in a year so I am sure if I have any type of treatment I will consult with him.  I have worked long and hard to stay on top of the bipolar.  The best doctors in my area who treat ANs use the same hospital, and they treat with GK or surgery.  My doc recommends GK, but his AN doctors are meeting tomorrow to discuss cases so I am anxious to hear what the opinion is going to be.  CK is new here, and I am not sure they treat a lot of ANs.  Thanks for your input.  I still have a lot to research.  I have started seeing my psychologist again after a three year break, and she said I should probably slack off on the research for a bit since it has become like an addiction lately.  Maybe that is true.  I'm going to a movie tonight instead of glueing myself to the computer.  I am just worn out.  Nancy 
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Mark

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 08:25:21 pm »
Flyersfan

My Bobby Clarke jersey no longer fits ( before anyone says anything, I got it when I was around 12  ;D), so I'll have to pick a new one for next year. I was impressed with their turnaround from the embarrassing performance last year and was hoping they would get by the Penquins. They look good for next year so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I may even try to see them when they visit San Jose next year if I can get tickets  ;)

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001