Author Topic: swelling 9 months after radiation  (Read 2005 times)

crystallady

swelling 9 months after radiation
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:01:18 pm »
All of a sudden I have bad headache and cant walk straight.  The doctors its swelling or growth from the AN.  Is swelling normal after all this time?  They are also concerned that might have grown.  :'( Possible surgery, which would be my second after having another benign tumor removed called meningioma. 

Any thoughts?

Mark

Re: swelling 9 months after radiation
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:32:57 pm »
Crystallady,

I was always told by Dr. Chang that radiation induced side effects could occur anywhere within the first 18 months after treatment. Certainly the % drops the farther out one goes, but it can occur. Also symptoms may be related to swelling which is what most folks tend to assume, but also can be brought about by irriatation of the nerves involved or interaction with the AN going through Necrosis. I assume you had a MRI at 6 months which should have given some indication of how the tumor was reacting at that point. So it would not be uncommon to be experiencing some swelling and I would wait to see what your 1 year check up shows. If the symptoms continue ask your doctor about a short dose of decadron or some other steroid. Not great stuff to be on long term but can reduce swelling or irritation symptoms

Best wishes

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001