Author Topic: Is Ibuprofen ototoxic?  (Read 18834 times)

Pablo

Is Ibuprofen ototoxic?
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:46:25 pm »
I've been advised to take  Advil (and also recommended by other doctors) to address inflammation of the hearing nerve after treatment and sometimes  right after a sudden hearing loss episode. There are several articles pointing  Advil to be an Ototoxic medicine. Is anyone familiar about this gap? Is it related to dosage, sensitivity or other aspects to determine whether the medicine will negatively impact hearing on an already damaged hearing nerve?

reference: http://health.yahoo.com/hearing-resources/ear-damaging-ototoxic-medicines/healthwise--tf3092.html

Thanks in advance.

Pablo

2.5 cm x 3.0 cm  right side
FSR  7/2006
Cabrini Medical Center, NYC

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Is Ibuprofen ototoxic?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 05:13:52 pm »
Hi, Pablo:

I refer you to this Mayo Clinic website for further information.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hearing-loss/AN00874

Dr. Swanson stresses that OTC medications such as ibuprofen may cause hearing loss when taken at high doses for a prolonged period but that hearing usually returns when the medication is discontinued.  This leads me to conclude that taking a few ibuprofen tablets on occasion is not a risk to hearing but if the medication is expected to be taken over a long period of time and/or in high doses, it should be avoided.  Besides, Advil works very well for most people, so why take unnecessary risks?  I wouldn't. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pablo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:22:30 am »
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the article, very helpful, I guess it solves the gap I had I just wantd to make sure I was not creating more damage than already have. All these drugs affect hearing at much larger scale when there is already a hearing loss. I'm struggling to keep my limited hearing on my AN ear as much as I can.

Thanks again.

Pablo
2.5 cm x 3.0 cm  right side
FSR  7/2006
Cabrini Medical Center, NYC

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 03:37:52 pm »
Pablo, don't worry about that really. I've been through the mill with that stuff and never have had a problem. I've never abused it either. I've gone as long six months at times not even taking an aspirin. In times of need though, Advil has always worked well for me.
 My doctors don't like me taking it when I was healing after surgery because it's a blood thinner. Once I was out of the hospital it didn't matter. One of the best cold remedies or helpers out there is Advil Cold & Sinus or Advil Flu and Body Ache as far as I'm concerned.

Advil in large quantities is also not good for your stomach. Tylenol is bad for your liver. It's a trade-off between "picking your poison" and/or what works best for an individual. Just don't abuse it and you'll be alright.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

edhayes

• Edmunds Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 12:07:49 pm »
As a pharmacist I have access to many drug information sources.
The gold standard drug information source is Micromedex.
Here is what they say on this matter.

3.3.11   Otic Effects (Ibuprofen)

3.3.11.A   Ototoxicity
1)  Summary

a)  TINNITUS and HEARING LOSS are described with the administration of ibuprofen (Prod Info Motrin(R), 1999g).

2)  LITERATURE REPORTS

a)  The incidence of tinnitus is between 1% and 3% for ibuprofen (Prod Info Motrin(R), 1999g). Ototoxicity usually manifests as tinnitus or hearing loss which is reversible in most cases 24 to 72 hours after stopping the drug. Reports of irreversible ototoxicity are available for aspirin and some non-steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
b)  Ototoxicity associated with aspirin is dose and concentration-related but this association is less clear with the NSAIDs. The mechanism, by which this adverse effect occurs, involves inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis and affects primarily the cochlea.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 12:13:44 pm »
Hey Ed! :)

So, bottom line is Ibuprofen and aspirin can manifest tinnitus or hearing loss but not enough research on NSAIDs (ie: Tylenol) on the matter? What about Naproxyn (Aleve)? Any info on that?

Thanks for sharing....
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 12:38:14 pm »
sorry, Ed... I had to re-read what you shared... so, you are saying tinnitus/hearing loss increased (manifest) AFTER stopping Ibuprofen/asprin with not enough known about NSAIDs... did I get it right that time? Still curious about Aleve......

Ok, I think I got it now....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

edhayes

• Edmunds Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:19:34 pm »
First of all I would not worry about hearing loss when taking any of the NSAID's. (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug)
I have never seen anyone report it and I think you have to take large doses for long periods of time to get hearing loss.
It is also reversible when you stop taking the drug.
There are many NSAID's on the market the most common ones are Ibuprofen, Naproxen and Aspirin.
Tylenol is not a NSAID.

If you wnat to know anbout a particular drug, other than what I listed,  just let me know.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 07:57:06 pm »
thanks Ed... I always get it backwards... Acetiminophen is non-NSAID and all the others are NSAID.  To think, being the daughter of a pharmacist would help... but I'll blame my AN on this one... sorry for any confusion.

I'd still be curious about Naproxen. You note about asprin and ibuprofen, no info on Tylenol.... but naproxen, I'd be curious. Any info on that? I do tend to use it for other issues.

thanks again,
Phyl

jerseygirl

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 08:24:31 pm »
Hi,

Naproxen was given to me after the first surgery as a painkilller when it was still available by prescription in a greater dosage than Alleve now. It was also called something else. It works somewhat for me but it was awful on my stomach so I could not take it long-term. I do not recall the ringing was any worse. Small dosages of aspirin were much better for me but large dosages are known to be ototoxic.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.