Author Topic: Surgery Date 1-17-08 in Cincy OH  (Read 7259 times)

StaceyJM

• Surgery Date 1-17-08 / Left Retrosigmoid
Surgery Date 1-17-08 in Cincy OH
« on: January 07, 2008, 02:08:21 pm »
Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to know if I could ask what my recovery time will be ( Actual time not Dr time)...... I am having  a left side retrosigmoid done. i am absolutely afraid and just was wondering if anyone else has had this done recently? They have told my husband and me that the surgery will take up to 12 hours!!!! And 5 Days in the hospital.  ;DI am 43 years old healthy and have very little hearing loss and no dizziness or ringing....  the AN appears to have grown from nothing in October of 2006 to 2.3 CM in one year. So it does have to come out.... So any words of wisdom would be most appreciated..... Is it really gonna hurt bad?????  Thank-you for everyone's help! oBTW in October of 2006 I was only diagnosed with Vertigo.... and then it went away.... it wasn't until I was sent to the Hospital this October of 2007 for in an infection in my face that the MRI showed the AN.....Still no dizziness like I had in 2006...... It just doesn't make since.... Everyone tells me that it has to come out but I was wandering if it really would be ok for it to stay in there???? ANd I will not do Radio surgery...........

StaceyJM

OMG16

Re: Surgery Date 1-17-08 in Cincy OH
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »
I can not help you with the recovery time expectations and I believe everyone is different.  My son's surgery wasn't as painful as we all thought it was going to be.  I hope this helps a little.  I'm sure you will hear from other members that can tell you their experience through out the next couple of days.  You have come to the right place for support.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 03:26:12 pm »
I had translab and I have to tell you - I anticipated feeling like I'd been hit in the head with a sledge-hammer - and surprisingly - I didn't have any pain at all.  Now, mind you, I don't remember the first day in the hospital at all, so I'm guessing I was pretty out of it, but after day 2 I didn't need anything more than tylenol for pain.  I think I was one of the fortunate few to feel that well.  The first few days, everyone says they feel pretty bad, but as soon as you are able to start moving around, it seems to progress from there pretty quickly.  I'm not going to say you'll feel like your old self, but at least hopefully, you'll feel human again and that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

The nurses should be keeping a pretty good eye on you, at least the first couple of days and they'll do a good job at helping you keep any pain under control.  I don't know if there's any difference in pain after retrosigmoid compared to translab, so you might want the opinion of someone who had the same thing.

My surgery took 11 hours.  I know 12 hours on an operating table can sound scary - but this isn't something you want them to rush through.  It's nice to know they are taking their time and making sure everything is done right.  And you'll probably get the longest nap of your life through it all.

As far as leaving it there, my non-professional opinion would be - heck, no, but if you have any doubts, make sure you get another opinion( from another doctor, I mean...)  Sounds to me like you have a minimum of problems related to it now so best to have it out before it starts causing real havoc.

I agree with 16 that everyone's recovery time is different, but the fact that you are healthy to start out with should help you along the road. 

Good luck to you, tell your husband to hang in there and make sure you let us know how you're doing!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:02:55 pm »
Hi Stacey:  My surgery was 19 months ago.   & this is my personal experience.   Immediately waking up from anesthesia I had violent vomiting that went on for quite awhile (I have always been sensitive to anesthesia given over an extended period).   My balance was awful, felt like I was walking on a suspended walkway that was swaying.  It does take time for your good balance nerve to adjust the balance issues, so be prepared.    I lost all hearing on the AN side (most of us post op have).

I, unfortunately, ended up with permanent facial paralysis b/c the docs cut the facial nerve, re-attached it (my facial nerve stopped signaling the moment they attached the nerve monitor).   Now, most people who end up with some facial issues have them only temporarily - some take longer to recover the facial nerve then others, & then some people have no facial nerve involvement.   Because of my paralysis, I'm unable to blink on that side, so I needed a weight implanted in the upper eyelid & use loads of eye lubricant on a daily basis.

Even if you have a great outcome (I pray), you will still feel drained from the surgery - it zaps your energy big time.   I was lucky to have my mom stay with me for 2 weeks  & do all the cooking, cleaning, etc.   I was able to drive & take care of my daily stuff by 3 weeks.  I did have wicked headaches which started when I returned home (4 days post op) & lasted about a month or so.

So that's it,   I wish you all the best.     Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

StaceyJM

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 04:38:07 pm »
WOW

Thanks to all for your support and testimonies..... I do feel really good about the surgery and know that God will see me thru this cause he brought me to this and he will most assured take me thru it!!!!

I will keep you all posted.... Many Thanks!

BTW this Mayfield Clinic here at UC has done over 2000 of AN surgeries so i feel very confident that the Dr's know what they are doing......

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 06:18:43 pm »
Stacey since the tumor has grown so quickly, it should be treated before it causes damage.

I had a 9 hour surgery and didn't wake up for 2or 3 more hours after that.  I was in surgery 9 hours, ICU 3 hours, and then to my regular room. I had no pain.  At least I felt nothing that caused me to remember pain.  I did not vomit.  I had day or two of steroid shots to control swelling and some pain meds in the IV for the first night and after that I just needed Tylenol.  No I didn't feel pain and can't describe my surgery as painful.  I went into surgery on a Thursday morning and was sent home in a car by Sunday morning with 115 miles ride home.  I wasn't sick from that ride either.  I was feeling pretty good by two weeks post op.  I walked a lot, four or five walks a day.

Your doctor gave you the average number of hours for surgery, and the average number of hospital days. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:03:57 pm by Boppie »

Static

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:33:04 pm »
Stacey,
I had retrosigmoid surgery in January of 2004.  I was 43 at the time and in pretty good health.  I don't come out of anesthesia well, instead of feeling sleepy, I am very anxious and I just wanted to be sleepy but because I had already been under anesthesia for 11 hours, they wouldn't give me anything else to calm me down.  Either that or the nurse I had was a real b!tch (she was that too)!  So glad when I was moved out of ICU into a regular room, I really didn't like that one particular ICU  nurse, did I mention that?  Anyway, I wasn't really in alot of pain, probably just uncomfortable because of being in a weird position for so long during the surgery but like Lori said I'm glad they took their time about the whole thing!  I lost all hearing in my right ear but did not have any facial paralysis whatsoever.  My balance was off also, but after using a few aids for a week or so, I regained my balance and just have to think more about what I'm doing when I'm walking as opposed to before surgery.  Bottom line is, I'm still alive and kicking and came out of this pretty well.  I have headaches often, but I had them before surgery anyway so I really can't say whether it was from the AN or not.  Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

OTO

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 10:38:07 pm »
StaceyJM
I had middle fossa surgery in May 07.  I was in surgery about 6 hours I think.  I woke up in ICU with a headache but not too bad.  I was uncomfortable, but for me it was bearable.  After two nights in ICU, I moved to a regular room.   With experienced doctors, and nurses, every thing seemed to go smoothly...  good luck and best wishes... oto

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 11:36:51 pm »
Stacey -

Welcome.

I had left side retrosigmoid on 5/31/07; my surgery was 7 1/2 hours; I was 45.  As others have said, everyone's recovery time is different.  Most docs will tell you approximately 6 weeks and that's usually about right for the majority of patients.  The first few days and weeks post op are generally the most difficult, but you will make progress each day.  I found the hardest part of recovery was being patient and not getting frustrated.

Everyone's surgical experience is different.  I didn't have any pain and still don't.  I don't have tinnitus and didn't prior to surgery either.  The first few weeks after surgery I was very tired and had balance problems, but both these issues went away.  My neurotologist had me doing balance exercises both pre and post op and I think that helped me a lot.  I had slight facial nerve paralysis immediately after surgery, but a dose of steroids took care of that.  Other surgical side-effects kind of come and go - metallic taste in mouth, dry mouth, dry eye - nothing I can't live with.  My only permanent problem is SSD on the left side.

It sounds like the docs @ Mayfield Clinic have a lot of experience with AN surgery and I'm sure things will go well for you.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Good luck with your surgery; keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NW

• 9mmx8mmx10mm Surgery Oct.17,2007
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 01:56:12 pm »
Hi, I just had my surgery Oct. 17th in Columbus, Oh. I had a left retrosigmoid (suboccipatal approach) done. My tumor was approx 1cm.  It was about 5 hrs. Dr. said it may take 8 hrs. Let them take their time. Most of the time is spent getting to the tumor. Surgery began at 7:30 am, over at 12:30, then went to recovery till 2:15 only because there wasn't a bed available, Then went to ICU till the following day. I had no pain, not even from the anesthesia. I was to go home Sunday, surg was on a Wed. but I developed a CSF leak on Saturday. I had been up walking since Thursday.Be aware if your nose begins to run on the side you have the surgery on. They inserted a Lumbar drain & I had to lay flat for 5 days. It sealed off. Thinking back, it really wasn't a bad experience! I think the anticipation is the worse.i  I am 49, very healthy, only symptoms were asymmetrical hearing loss & tinnitus. (slight). You're young, healthy, no problems, you'll do fine! Best way is to remove it! Remember to walk, walk, walk! You'll bounce back in no time!! Best of Luck. Any questions feel free to email me. Nancy

StaceyJM

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 05:01:43 pm »
Thanks my An Buddies!!! I really appreciate everyone's support..... Oh By the way is it true that there is loss of taste and appetite goes away??? Also does it hurt to chew after the surgery?

Thanks AN Buddies!

Static

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:21:30 pm »
Actually, I gained weight from being on steroids and not having the same level of activity during recovery as I did before the surgery.  I also had a sore throat from the breathing tube so I ate a lot of ice cream because I found it very soothing to my throat, that and cepacol lozenges helped alot.   I did have a metallic taste in my mouth for awhile so I didn't really have much of an appetite, but like I said, when you are not doing much, it doesn't take much to put the calories on either!  It did cause me any pain to chew but like I said, it did to swallow until my throat started healing from whatever the irritation the breathing tube caused.  Hopefully they did tell you that they would need to use a breathing tube because of being under anesthesia for so long.  If you have any more questions, just ask, I'm sure someone will tell you whatever you need or want to know  :)
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

lori67

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 09:03:56 pm »
I did have a loss of taste - or at least a change.  Anything with tomatoes or tomato sauce tasted like metal for a while, and everything else tasted like cardboard.  I don't think I've ever really lost my appetite (I like to eat!), but I did lose weight after the surgery.  I think I wasn't eating as much because I wasn't very active for a few weeks and just didn't really feel hungry.  I've since put it all back on  :'(.  Oh well.

It didn't hurt me to chew afterwards, but like Karen, I had a sore throat from the breathing tube for about a week or so, so I ate a lot of jello and ice cream and anything soft and cold.  But, that too, went away.

One strange thing I noticed about my sense of taste is that I now like grapefruit and avocados - two things I've always hated!  Go figure.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 09:38:40 pm »
My taste buds were out of whack for a while post op; nothing tasted normal and certain things had no taste at all.  For a while nothing appealed to me - even chocolate (my all-time favorite vice) LOL

I also had issues with "metallic mouth".  But with time everything has gotten better.

I had no problems with chewing.

I did have a lot of nausea post op and nothing the docs gave me helped it.  As a result, I didn't eat much for the first few weeks.  It was great to lose a few pounds, but it also made me more tired and weaker than I would have been if I had eaten decently.  So make sure you eat enough to keep your strength up.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OTO

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 09:11:25 pm »
StaceyJM

My jaw, teeth and tongue on the operation-side hurt for about a week but I could eat.    It was either the breathing tube or the incision affected that side of the head.

Your tastebuds are affected by the facial nerve, so you might get a metallic taste.   All of these after effects should get better depending on the stress on your facial nerve.  I'm almost 8-months post-op and the only thing bothering me is a "salty spot" on the side of my tongue (it just tastes "salty" all the time) and when I eat, my left eye tears (tears roll down my cheek)...