Author Topic: Completely frustrated over finding flights for surgery!!!!  (Read 3439 times)

spgreenfield

Completely frustrated over finding flights for surgery!!!!
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:19:50 am »
My husband in his quest for employment has landed us out in the middle of nowhere - the city we live in has NO support for AN surgery - and the local airport is a puddle jumper.  I understand from one post that Southwest is great because they don't charge for date changing - which would be helpful because one "never knows" what will happen with this surgery!  I am totally frustrated and obviously overwhelmed at all of this - especially having a husband who is complaining because the surgery I would like to have is in a very inconvenient location for him!  He was pleased as punch when we were considering Mayo which is within driving distance that is far more easy for HIM!  To say nothing about what MY needs might be!  As well as being in the dead of winter - or close to it with all the blizzards that CAN happen in Minnesota!  I don't relish the thought of driving in dangerous weather conditions!  Any encouragement would be welcome!!!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Completely frustrated over finding flights for surgery!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:43:26 am »
Pam .....

If you are talking about possibly flying to California from Minnesota, I would simply schedule my flight out several days in advance of surgery and schedule the return home 12 to 14 days after surgery.  All of the airline flights can be rescheduled later for the return trip home, if needed, with a medical reason.  (HEI has the necessary forms/information for you.)

What is nice about Southwest is if you want to fly home sooner because you are doing much better than you thought you would (and space is available), you can move it up without charge.

Having grown up in Iowa, South and North Dakota, I can well appreciate your weather concerns ...... that's why it makes sense to build in some flexibility.  Actually, when we flew home from LA after my surgery last May, we had horrible weather delays all over the Eastern Seaboard, due to tornados and thunder storms so that can happen anytime.   :)

Best wishes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

spgreenfield

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:04:07 pm »
Technically the flight is from Sioux Falls, SD - but close to Minneapolis I guess.  Not sure if I should make SEPARATE reservations on Southwest from Minneapolis (they fly there....) and the puddle jumper flights from there home - that way if we need to change something the more expensive flight is changeable while the cheaper one can just be crashed for credit in the future.  Many of the airlines won't allow changes even for medical reasons......

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

mk

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:27:44 pm »
Hi,

sorry you are facing these challenges, which the lack of support make them even more frustrating.
I couldn't help but chuckle at the "puddle jumper" characterization for the local airport - this is a good analogy for the airport in my city too.
Are you flying to the House? I think that the time frames that Clarice mentioned are a very good guideline. This is exactly what I did too (flying out of our own puddle jumper airport). I wouldn't worry too much about rescheduling.
I did fly business class on the way back home (if you can afford this it is so much easier - and it does provide more flexibility in rescheduling). Since I was recovering so well, I did reschedule my flight back home earlier, without any additional charge.

The weather is indeed a concern. Is there anyway that you can postpone your surgery for the spring, where the weather would be more reasonable? A couple of months wait may not be a big deal, unless your doctors say otherwise. Or, could you drive to Minneapolis (I have no idea how far it is from Sioux Falls), leave the car at the airport and take the flight from there? You may want to avoid flying on one of these little scary planes in winter weather, especially when you are post-op.

What is more of a concern to me though is the total lack of support and understanding from your husband. Does he really understand the severity of the situation, and that this is not a tonsil removal procedure?

Marianna
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:45:52 pm by mk »
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sterry

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:58:53 pm »
So sorry about your frustration, although vey understandable. I flew out of Sheridan Wyoming, to  Los Angeles. It went well.  I just stayed in LA until staples were out and flew home the next day. Flying in a puddle jumper plane was not difficult, the one from Denver to Sheridan only seats like 14 people, very small! I would suggest, on your return to get a wheel chair through the airports, much less stress than waiting in line!  Trust me I understand a city with no AN support :)  It might take some more visuals for your husband to understand this whole process. I think he will get it:)
Best to you
Susie in Wyoming
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well