Author Topic: Titanium mesh plate side affects  (Read 47105 times)

firewalker

Titanium mesh plate side affects
« on: December 23, 2007, 07:32:28 pm »
Hi everyone~

I'll be having a titanium mesh plate screwed to my skull after my translab at House Clinic with Dr. Brackmann in January and was wondering if anyone can tell me their experience about any side affects they've had with having one.

Thanks to all who reply and Happy Holidays!

~Firewalker
2.8cm right ear AN diagnosed on 10/10/07. Translab surgery on 1/30/08 with Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic, CA. Two tiny tumor scrapes were left to preserve facial nerve. SSD, Lagopthlamos with temporary facial nerve paralysis and some Trigeminal Neuralgia. Am improving every day.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Titanium mesh plate side affects
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 07:48:54 pm »
hi firewalker:  I have the titanium mesh plate, along with packing in there - no problems with it.  I wouldn't even know it's there if I wasn't told.
Happy Holidays & best wishes for a successful surgery.   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 08:32:46 pm »
Hi Firewalker,

I also have the titanium mesh.  Like Nancy, I wouldn't even know it's there if they hadn't told me they would be using it. 

Happy Holidays,
Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 03:47:39 pm »
Hi, firewalker:

I raised my hand when you asked who has the titanium mesh insert. then I realized you couldn't see me, so I thought I would add this post to the growing list.  :)

I did feel some 'tightening' on my skull as it healed, presumably around the titanium plate, and that was annoying, but passed.  The area where the plate is remains a bit less sensitive to the touch than the rest of my head, but that is insignificant to me.  For the past six months or so, I've had absolutely no indications of the plate being there, and I've had several MRI scans since it was installed, as it were.  In my experience, the titanium mesh plate is pretty much invisible and probably substantially cuts down on post-op CSF leaks.  Based on my experience, I wouldn't be concerned about having it put in.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

firewalker

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 04:31:22 pm »
Nancy, Jean & Jim-

I couldn't ask for anything more than what I get from this forum! You all are awesome and thanks for your feedback!!! I've heard stories that the plate is cold in winter (I live in Wisconsin so that might be a problem!) and that it caused headaches, so it's good to hear what you all have to say about it. Just thought maybe someone had picked up an alien signal or something with it. I will find out soon enough~

~Firewalker

2.8cm right ear AN diagnosed on 10/10/07. Translab surgery on 1/30/08 with Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic, CA. Two tiny tumor scrapes were left to preserve facial nerve. SSD, Lagopthlamos with temporary facial nerve paralysis and some Trigeminal Neuralgia. Am improving every day.

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 10:08:58 pm »
Firewalker,

I live north of you in the UP of Michigan.  I've had no negative effects on the titanium mesh from the cold.  Good luck with your surgery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

kristin

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 10:14:05 pm »
Hmm..How would I know if I had a titanium MESH plate? I was told I have 3 titanium plates and 6 screws...is that different than the mesh?
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

firewalker

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 11:16:25 pm »
Hey Kristin,

Dr Brackmann said he's been doing the titanium mesh plate cranioplasty on all of his translabs patients for at least the last 5 years, so I'm guessing that's what you have. Do you have any side affects from your plates?

~Firewalker

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 09:38:22 am »
The mesh is just that -- ever patch a screen on a window so the bugs dont get in?? ..

its a mesh to put over the openning to get it extra strength (since it was drilled open) while it heals ...

guys.. ever patch bondo over and old car to fix a hole?  we put in a screen and bondo over it ...(they call it bone cement)  only the Dr's dont sand down our head to a nice smooth shine....  ;)

and I dont think you will ever have to worry about it because of the cold.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 09:45:50 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 06:38:58 pm »
Firewalker -

I have a titanium plate and screws in my skull and haven't had any side effects whatsoever.  I don't know many who have had problems.

I live outside of Chicago and so far I've had no pain or headaches related to cold weather.

Jan
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 07:55:14 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TP

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 06:58:49 pm »
I have about a 3 inch long 1/2 inch deep scar behind my ear and have no idea what my Dr used to fill the hole. I had two CSF leak surgeries in that incision so maybe he didn't use anything to plug the hole. I thought he used something but I can't remember. In any event, I have no issues with my scar now, I forget I have it most of the time until I put my hand behind my ear and then I feel this big ole canal in my head..... :D
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

kristin

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 08:59:20 pm »
Hey Kristin,

Dr Brackmann said he's been doing the titanium mesh plate cranioplasty on all of his translabs patients for at least the last 5 years, so I'm guessing that's what you have. Do you have any side affects from your plates?

~Firewalker

But I had Middle Fossa...not translab...does that make a difference?
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

firewalker

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 09:47:35 am »
Kristin: I'm not 100% certain that Dr Brackmann used titanium mesh plates to reconstruct your middle fossa, but am guessing that he probably did because you had your surgery in 2005. The next time I talk to him, I'll try to remember to ask him if he uses that for middle fossa as well and will let you know  :)

Jan: Thanks a bunch for your feedback! You know how much it's appreciated. Glad to hear you're not having negative side affects especially living in a cold climate. That's a big relief!

Joef: As you said, titanium mesh plate cranioplasty IS reported to considerably cut back on CSF leaks and is also recommended for cosmetic purposes to reconstruct the drilled-out skull area. That's why I specifically asked Dr Brackmann if he uses it for cranioplasty because I had both of those concerns. Thank you for clarifying the process for us. It makes sense to me~

Cheers to a happy, healthy New Year!
~Firewalker

Static

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 10:34:58 am »
My surgery was done at Jefferson and I had the titanium mesh.  No problems, but I did have a csf leak.  It wasn't leaking from the incision site tho, and the plug was done through a separate in my mastoid bone behind the ear.  The leak was found through a drip from my nose.  As far as the mesh making your head cold, I haven't noticed a difference.  Good luck with your surgery!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

firewalker

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 10:20:08 am »
Static,

Thanks for your feedback! I'm sorry to hear about your CSF leak especially because it looks like you had it for 4 months before having it repaired. Did you have it from the time you left the hospital or did it start sometime after you left?

~Firewalker