Author Topic: Newbie - "tiny" and tipsy  (Read 6429 times)

ZigZagGal

Newbie - "tiny" and tipsy
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:39:27 pm »
Hello - so, the journey begins...
I moved over here from "inquiries"  ( for background see "Tiny an(?) Big Problems").
Just received confirmation that the tiny 1.5mm blip on my MRI is an AN.
Long story short:  dizziness/imbalance started 9/07,  MRI showed suspicious little spot, second opinion at Mayo on Nov.14. 

I am very grateful that it is small and that my hearing is stable so far, but am a bit discouraged by the prospect of having to deal with this vertigo/imbalance/jumpy vision condition for an extended period of time.  Driving and work are very difficult.  The message I've gotten from two ENT's now is that most people compensate to the vestibular changes caused by AN's when they are tiny, without even knowing they have them.  For some reason, I am a "princess and the pea" and am really struggling with it.   I was given a time frame of 3 months of PT as "reasonable" for seeing improvement.  It has been almost 2 months now, with little change.  I also have Marfan syndrome, a connective tissue disorder which causes loose joints and visual problems.  I have a visual condition called "aphakia" (no lenses) that requires that I wear very thick high-plus trifocal lenses, which limits my peripheral vision.  The theory is that these two components are making my adjustment period more challenging.

Questions:
Is there anyone else out there with visual problems, joint problems, or even Marfan syndrome dealing with balance issues? 
What experiences have others had with vestibular exercises - did they help? 
Any suggestions on how to "push it" to make the adjustment faster?

Thanks!
Tracie
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Gandhi

tony

Re: Newbie - "tiny" and tipsy
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 12:01:17 pm »
The clear suggestion is to work around the changes
ie aviod situations like tall ladders or carrying weights
on the stairway - avoid potential hazards
The dark nights maybe an issue - or unlevel ground
Practice by all means - but it may tire you
- so time/room to rest ?
best regards
tony

sahar32

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:22:47 am »
Hi,
Are you considering surgery? Do you even need surgery ?
Sahar
I have a grade 4 meninigioma along with AN. I will be having my surgery at SBI on November 7, 2007.

oHIo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 09:07:10 pm »
Hi Tracie, I also have good hearing and my AN was only discovered because of disabling episodes of vertigo and balance issues.  No joint or connective tissue issues, but I certainly can understand about the vertigo and balance issues becoming old very quickly.  My doctor said sometimes patients with the smaller ANs do seem to have more balance symptoms.  The tumor can disrupt the signal from your ear to your brain and cause the vertigo. 

Vestibular rehab has helped, but on days when I'm tired or stressed, my balance seems to be much worse.  Driving is a big vestibular workout, constantly looking in all directions, turning your head, etc.  Continue to do your exercises.  The object is to make you dizzy so your brain will learn to compensate.  Some of us just never do things quickly.  Hang in there.

susier

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 10:12:10 pm »
Hi  Tracie,
  I too, have a very small AN and had months of problems with dizziness, vertigo, jumpy vision.  All of my doctors told me that my tumor was too small to be causing these problems, which only made me worry that something else was wrong besides my tumor.  The last Neurosugeon i saw, suggested that i "just relax", my tumor is very small and I was in no immediate danger.  He told me to try and not think about it all the time.  At this point, I had been dealing with these symptoms for a little over 3 months.  I got a script for Lexapro, a mild anti anxiety medication and started taking 10 mgs/day.  Very soon after, my symptoms disapeared.  I don't know if it was the new meds or my brain finally adjusted, just know that it was great to feel normal again.  Hand in there!

HCSTARWIND

• attitude is 90%
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 10:26:43 pm »
Hi Tracie,

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with the vertigo and balance issues. I remember last fall that I was out of work for nearly 2 months because of these exact issues. Your body will adapt. I still have times when I am off balance and occ. dizzy, but mostly when I am tired . Vestibular rehab can help you with emelorating some of your symptoms. I went through time of BPPV in my right side, (not the tumor side) and rehab. helped. Stay strong. The body has a wonderful way of ADAPTING. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Dx, AN left IAC, 3x9x2x3mm. Now 5x5mm , Nov. 07. Watch and wait for now.

er

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:21:33 am »
Hello Tracie,

Tiny or big it is still a tumor in the brain. We all react different and we need to listen to our needs of our body, if we don't who else is going to.
I complained for about 5 years of pain behind my ear + other issues but they couldn't fine anything until I couldn't stand the pressure in my ear anymore , ENT sent me to get an MRI.
eve

leharner

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 03:36:04 pm »
Hi Tracie,
I am also a newby and newly confirmed an of just about the same size as yours. I have been in the diagnosis stage for over a year, with the primary symptom of dizziness and vertigo. My docs all thought it was menieres until one finally ordered an MRI which confirmed the tumor. And like you, mine is too small for any treatment at this time. So watch and wait it is.

I thing one thing I have learned from reading through this site is that each of us will react/respond in our own unique fashion to our neuromas.

I had my first symptom over a year ago now, as a very severe attack of vertigo, followed by lesser attacks, and finally months of constant rotational spinning. It has now subsided to daily unsteadiness, with occassional spinning days. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis, so I can somewhat related to joint issues.

I had a big walk scheduled in early November down in Phoenix and a friend suggested a hiking stick as a way to keep balanced while walking (I tend to touch walls around work to keep 'centered'). I tried the stick, and waws able to walk 60 miles in 3 days without falling down once. I was only a little dizzy the first day, but havng something to hang on to, that let me sense the ground was in the same place everytime I put my feet down really helped.

I have seen others use a cane, but for me the walking stick is perfect, light weight,more comfortable hand position, and it can fold and be stuffed in my backpack. Plus it's very jaunty, and people ask if you are getting ready for a hike, rather than if you're all right!

By the way, I live and work and Grand Canyon National Park, and can't even go to the rim anymore, so part of the challenge is learning your own triggers, and making changes to accommodate.
It sounds like we're in this together!
Laura

ZigZagGal

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 05:41:22 pm »
Laura,
Thanks for your sharing your story!  This site is so supportive and validating.  Everyone is given respect and encouragement to follow their own journey the best way they know how.  Your story is particularly helpful to me  because it sounds like we are very similar in our symptoms.  Walking 60 miles in 3 days is truly inspiring!  I am doing so much better than when I first wrote in.  Some of it is just getting used to the sensation of constantly moving one way or the other, and knowing your triggers, as you said (mine is any kind of crowd situation - shopping, concerts, etc.)   I definitely have my good days and bad days.  I also use the finger on the wall trick at work (an elementary school) whenever I need to.  I also use a little "hand truck" to carry my laptop and any books, etc. to/from my car.  A walking stick has been suggested to me more than once, perhaps I'll give it a try.  After switching to a new OT for vestibular rehab, I have noticed a lot of progress.  I don't know if it is just the passage of time or the exercises (or the chiropractic or the acupuncure....who knows?) but I will take it anyway I can get it!    I feel more confident that I won't fall, and am then more willing to do more. It is a positive cycle to be in.  As the year ends, I am very grateful to be where I am in my journey.  Who knows what the future will bring, so I am going to enjoy what I have now.  Happy New Year!
Tracie
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Gandhi

OMG16

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 09:56:06 pm »
Tracie my son has visual problems, vertigo and balance issues and we were told that the vision problems only make it worse.  They also said that he would need to improve the vision before that would all be helped.  I guess I am trying to say that vision therapy may be helpful for you.  I was told that not all Doctors agree with this type of treatment, but it did help my son.  Try to find a good Neuro-opthamologist and see if you can get a referral for vision therapy.  If you are unable to find one in your area I can contact his Dr and see if she knows.  I can tell you more about his therapy if you PM me and tell me more specifics.  Take care 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

cindysip

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 08:58:33 pm »
Tracie,

I was diagnosed a year ago. I too have a tiny AN, around 2mm. From my reading it seems that us "tiny" folks have the worst time with vertigo/balance. While I recognize that this is a brain tumor, I find it hard to believe that something so small can cause so much trouble.

My vertigo is what led to my diagnosis; I hadn't even realized I had mild hearing loss. The balance issues started shortly thereafter. It took seven months for the symptoms to disappear. It was so odd, one day I suddenly realized I was no longer dizzy.

Now a year later I experience tinnutis a few times a day. I have difficulty following a conversation in loud environments. But what is bothering me most is the intense pressure I feel in that ear (in fact that is what brought me back to these boards tonight).

While I am sorry you had to join this club, welcome to a wonderful family!

Cindy
Diagnosed 1/07 2mm AN - symptoms included spinning sensations when awakening, balance problems & mild hearing loss
6/07 - followup MRI no growth
6/08 - no growth, hearing unchanged

claire1

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 12:04:43 am »
Hi Tracie
Sorry your haveing so much trouble.
Misery loves company soooo; I was dx with AN in my left ear. I don't have the other dx you have but I do have an arachnoid cyst 2.5cm and and an area in the cerebellum that is approx 2cm of what the drs' said is old blood from a hemmorragh.  With the added extra dx's it does make it difficult for the brain to compensate for the balance/vertigo and dizziness of the acoustic neuroma.
I went for my first visit to vestibular rehab, prior to my gamma knife,and she told me that the important issue here is SAFTEY from risk of falling.  She said I have to get a cane or walking stick to help with the balance to prevent the falling. Not sure I'll be doing that though.  BUT the main objective was to prevent fall until the brain decides to compensate for the AN .
Hope this helps.
ClaireA