General Category > AN Issues

Something no one mentions-scalp itching post op.

(1/4) > >>

Charlotte Lady:
I have yet to see a post about this but the absolute most bothersome trivial problem I have is itching of my scalp in the numb parts.  I use ice and Scalpacin to relieve that.  They work somewhat. 

It drives me nuts.  How can a spot which has no feeling itch? It's just wrong, I tell you  ;)

When I scratch, I get no relief whatsoever. 

Donna

leapyrtwins:
I'm a little over 5 months post op and I don't have this problem; never did.

Have you tried a dandruff shampoo - like Tegrin or Head & Shoulders?  Not that you have dandruff, but they are supposed to help with itchy scalp.  Maybe you could get some relief that way.

Just a thought.

Jan

Boppie:
Donna, I've had itchy neck line and back of the head issues since surgery.  My hair hurts sometimes.  It seems as though the nerves in my scalp are reconnecting.  I had the hair hurting issue going on for a few years before diagnosis.  Once I checked in with my PCP to see if I was having a stroke because my scalp hurt so much.  I thought I had pressure in my head. 

I note that your surgery was some time in October.  Your incision might be throwing out some of the dead skin, sealant or a knot or two.  I had two issues with the itchy bumps from that.  I'd continue to use a mild shampoo and suds up three times instead of moving to an antidandruff shampoo. 

Yvette:
How long ago was your surgery Donna? I don't see any bio info on ya. I mildly itched along the incision for a couple of months after surgery. It is weird how a numb spot can itch! Yvette

4cm in Pacific Northwest:
Too funny, :D

About a month after surgery I too had itchy flakey scalp issues and was frantically trying to find answers on this very forum (while scratching my head in wonder… LOL)

I found this thread (advanced search “scalpâ€?)  ;D

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=4048.0

I discovered what I had was a normal AN postie experience.  (See you ARE one of us  8) now and part of our AN family)

Sister    ;) Boppie is right…

Remember that they made an incision in your scalp and pulled all that hair and skin back (with clamps pins etc gross thought huh?) for a few hours ...while they went into your skull by drilling a big ole hole …and dissected the tumor from your brain. Some cells and hair follicles will no doubt get damaged when they do that.

The itchy scalp is the healing process. Itching is good actually- nerves etc are regenerating in that incision area.

Time to throw an itchy scalp party here on the forum.
This is one of those wacky signs that you are healing!

Three cheers for Donna!

Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!  
Keep healing and “Keep Moving Forward!�
Cheers,

P.S. Guess what big flakes of dandruff and some hair falling out on the pillow is next.It means you are healing... lets us know when that happens and we'll have another party.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3914.0
It WILL settle down eventually
 (Life is to be celebrated- especially "healing")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version