Author Topic: Can't wear earplugs  (Read 2455 times)

mema

Can't wear earplugs
« on: August 25, 2007, 04:13:20 pm »
I just read the posts on "What about concerts".   Just recently I wore earplugs that really did a god job of keeping out the noise.  But I have had an earache in both ears since. I've had the earaches since August 1st.  I only wore an earplug in my good ear. I went to an ENT who prescribed drops, but told me I'm one of the few that won't be able to wear earplugs or hearing aides.   Has anyone else had this problem.                                                                                                                                                                           

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Rc Moser

Re: Can't wear earplugs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 09:02:21 pm »
what brand of ear plugs?? were they fitted by and ENT or the cheap ones you get a the hardware store??  I found that the orange colored ones by Howard Leight can be worn usually about 10 hours before they start making my ear hurts. I dont wear one in the AN side ear. It makes the side of my head hurt and causes my head to pound harder. No need anyway for me there no ear over there. I have to wear ear plug most of the time and have tried quite a few and these work the best for me. Google them it interested. Howard Leight max1/max 30. rated the highest in NRR 33 SNR 37 the orange foamy ones and they can be washed and reused.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

mema

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:24:41 am »
Thanks RC,                                                                                                                                                                               

I did look up those earplugs on the internet.  But I think the problem must have to do with my ear canals, possibly the formation of them.  Pressure seems to bother me so much.  Getting in a car and shutting the doors makes both my ears ache for a moment.   So the Ent kind of explained that the ear plug is causing pressure.  I remember before AN days , getting on an airplane would leave me with earaches for about 2-3 days.  This happens to my mother also.                                                                                                               

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:53:12 am »
Mema, I have read of a couple of instances where a patient wasn't able to adjust to a hearing aid in the canal due to tenderness inside, next to the bone.  I don't think it is unusual to see this happening.  My audiologist questioned me about my ability to wear ear plugs when I requested a TransEar fitting. 

I had a fitting for a custom ear plug for my good ear, so I can use it in church when they havea big choir or the pipe organ.  I find the orange plug functionally good but it hurts my ear canal.   
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:54:48 am by Boppie »

Richey

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 02:31:41 pm »
Was wondering what kind of ear plugs you are trying. I use the ones that I got at work that are foam. The best ones that I have used are called Sparkplugs by Moldex-metric Inc but they are made for temp.
use not to be left in all the time. I use one in my AN ear at concerts due to getting distortion from the high volumes. I have a bi-cross hearing aid but the sound gets past the earmold on that AN side so I just ditch the hearing aids at concerts.

I'm sure your ENT is well educated but another one might have a different solution.

Good luck,

Rich