Author Topic: Headaches & Decongestants  (Read 6601 times)

Catflower

Headaches & Decongestants
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:10:00 am »
I'm 5 weeks post and having headaches right on the top of my head.  They even wake me up at night.  I made an intresting discovery.  Nothing helps the pain except over the counter sinus medication.

This may just be my own particular situation, but I thought I would share it.

BB

Re: Headaches & Decongestants
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 08:37:46 am »
I don't have a headace problem, but have always needed allergy medicene.  Since surgery I can't take anything, without it causing me all sorts of problems in my head.  Like my ear's and just a full head feeling, But glad you found something that works. I guess those headaches can be a bummer.  Also I have dry eye's so bad, that anything that dry's me out causes me to have more problems with my eye's.  Allergra D was my cure all for allergeries about twice a year, I miss being alble to use it.  Good luck with those headace's.  BB

jimmy r

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 03:06:46 pm »
Someone just recommened  benadryl to me too. I have the same problem - instense headaches in the middle of the night. I am only 2 weeks post op and would llike to get off the heavy drugs. I thought it was caffeine withdrawal but I am drinking coofee again so i don't think that's it.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 12:54:29 am »
Head pains.  I heard about head pains from the very first person I ever met who had her AN removed 2 months ahead of me.  She thought the pains were from a holder cradle that they used to steady the movement.  I think the nerve endings are hurting in the incision and the pain refers all over the scalp.

Jimmy, why continue with the "heavy"drugs at all.  Did the doctor say to stay on them past two weeks?  Maybe your doctor could tell you how to get off the drugs altogether.  Benadryl might be a sleep aid for you for a while, but it can cause a headache and a "buzzy feeling" from withdrawal too.   

I recall the first few weeks...the middle of the night head pains were bad for me from the pillow pressure, my head position, and the incision drawing up.  Sometimes I would shift my head by turning it with my palms instead of my neck.   Try giving yourself a gentle scalp massage. On some nights I got up and snoozed in the lounger chair for a while.  It was difficult to know where the pain was worse, in the head or the neck. 

It will get better! 

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:34:08 pm by Boppie »

tony

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:27:53 pm »
Yes - there is definately something in this one
I am not sure exactly how
the clue is : the medication is to help with soft tissue type swelling
or inflammation - I find the reduction in head/fluids can assist
with hearing as well - I have issues with fluids in the ear tubes
cold or hayfever related.The cold/flu remedies seem to help.
Those that find these cures useful may also find they are more
suseptable to hang-over type headaches and dehydration issues
Somehow the mechanism is just a bit more touchy (?)
Best Regards
Tony

Mari

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:58:05 pm »
Hi
This may be totally off base but I am 7 years out and still get debilitating headaches.  I have tried many many things. I have also had two sinus surgeries since my surgery and know a couple other post op people who have also. maybe a coincidence i dont know. Each year I have an  MRI it shows sinus and mastoid infection. Just a thought
Mari

jimmy r

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 06:59:35 pm »
My headaches have pretty much subsided. Advil  or tylenol seem to do the trick. i will start getting a headache in the morning so i push myself out of bed and sometimes I too sleep for awhile sitting upright. I got no guidance from my doctors who did not return phone calls for a week so i was on my own to figure out what to do. Well not totally alone as I always have this forum for guidance. In retrospect i think i had a hangover from the heavy meds and should have cut back earlier.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 07:13:12 pm »
Very good, Jimmy.  I am glad to read you are free of the heavy stuff and more able to handle pain on your own terms.  Horray!

I had a headache just this week after I allowed the hairdresser too much freedom with her  "shampoo massage".  Yowee!  I had to give myself a gentle head rub in the shower to calm the nerve endings.  So glad I learned this trick. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 07:16:12 pm by Boppie »

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 07:33:28 pm »
Twelve days post op and had my first really bad head ache since leaving the hospital... as bad as
the ones they had to give me morphine for... been doing good with just Tylenol

but todays head ache about put me out ... the max hydrocodone dose did little ... I am now
very clean and a bit water logged... For migraines I used to stand in shower with it set at a pin
point stream to massage neck and back... decided to give it a try ... sitting in shower 30 minutes
with head massaged by water and head ache is about gone... I have found when I get head
achy at night sitting in lounge chair helps relieve the stuffy stopped up head feeling I get
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

BB

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 11:04:07 pm »
BOPPIE, I WAS GLAD I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE WITH THE PROBLEM WITH MY HAIR DRESSER.  I'VE TOLD HER SERVERL TIMES TO PLEASE BECAREFUL ON THE RIGHT SIDE ON MY HEAD, AND SHE JUST DOESN'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND, BUT ACTS CONCERED.  I ASKED HER TO BE VERY CAREFUL ON MY RIGHT SIDE WASHING AND THE FIXING MY HAIR.  I NOW JUST LET HER CUT IT AND I NOW GO HOME AND FIX IT MY SELF.  I THINK I MAY HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE ELSE.  MY SCAR IS FROM THE FRONT OF MY EAR TO THE TOP OF MY HEAD. AND IS STILL SOMETIMES SENSITIVE. OH WELL, JUST ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE THINGS WE DEAL WITH.   BB (SURE WISH WE HAD SPELL CHECK AS I KNOW I MAKE SO MANY MISTAKES.)

Mari

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 11:59:52 am »
That souds so much like my situation, I thought I must have sritten it and forgotten.
Mari