Author Topic: A place to vent  (Read 81511 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: A place to vent
« Reply #255 on: September 20, 2007, 04:53:47 pm »
Hey Laz:  Don't get me started on that sociopathic creep - what I'd like to say I can't, being on this forum & all.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2007, 12:36:52 pm »
OJ Simpson is headline news in Australia?  What's the world coming too?  I don't even want him to be headline news in the US, much less the rest of the world.  When I get sick of the stuff going on here, I think...where can I go that's the furthest spot from here, that still speaks English and is relatively safe, and has a good quality of life - and I think...I'M MOVING TO NEW ZEALAND!  So, if all that nonsense is going to follow me down there...then why bother! 

Cheers!!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2007, 11:05:49 am »
Has anyone watched "The Flight of the Conchords" on HBO with the 2 Kiwi Musicians. It is a riot! A house on a cliff over looking the sea in NZ with no TV sounds great!!!!!!! I already have 24/7 sea sounds in my head. Great tinitus masker, the ocean! I'd have to have internet access, cuz I'd miss you guys, though!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

matti

« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2007, 11:35:34 am »
I hope OJ is put away for a long time, then he can start on his new book "If I stole it..."
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2007, 10:41:58 am »
Matti -

that is SO funny.  Someone actually came up with something like that - a parody.  I think I read about it on MSN.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #260 on: September 26, 2007, 06:35:29 pm »
Venting time!

My ear has decided to give me the freaky sound show today...and that just sucks.   I got a new hearing aid (thanks Vetran's Administration), but I think it makes my tinnitus louder.

Venting complete....I feel better now....out.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2007, 07:59:08 pm »
Today was a bad one ...sneezing due to my son weed eating fence line started a head ache
that Tylenol wouldn't touch...so ate hydrocodone and slept alot... but that isn't my vent

For some reason with everything going on right now the one thing that is driving me nuts is the
metallic taste in my mouth... I am just tired of it ... my head aches, I walk like I am drunk half the
time, my good ear is tired and not hearing good by mid afternoon and the ringing in my deaf ear
drowns out what my good ear is hearing ...I deal with all that and get pissed off at the taste thing ...
and it is minor in comparison

My husband is more concerned about the other things and said the taste couldn't be that bad...so
I used liquid Dial antibacterial hand soap and washed a penny and made him put it in his mouth... he
kept it in for about three minutes and spit it out... I told him he had to keep it in til we ate and had
to put it back in between every two or three bites... he said it tasted too bad ... no s***  Sherlock is
what came out of my mouth next and told him I couldn't just spit it out and be done with it...
he gave me a look... it was a she's cracking up look ... and I feel like I am sometimes...

I can take a pill to get rid of headache ... rest helps the wobble and hearing... but
nothing helps the taste ... I guess not being able to remedy it in any way makes me feel powerless...

I know this is not about the taste ...just getting to an emotionally drained point... and it will pass... in the
time being I will pick on my husband ...he is an easy and sympathetic target... hugs me and tells me it will
be alright  :)

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

marg

« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »
Hi Soundy,
    I so understand about the metal taste in the mouth....and I love the penny with dial soap..............I laughed my head off...what a great idea - my husband hasn't said anything like the taste couldn't be 'that bad' ...but just in case I'm going to show him your post.  I'm sure after reading it he will NEVER tell me 'it can't be that bad'.

Your 2nd paragraph could have been written by me  2 months ago (if I look in my journal I am sure something very similar is written down)..... so hang in there .  Now at 4 months post-op  the metal taste is less, the balance is better, the brain has helped the 'good ear' adjust better and I can even forget about the ringing in my deaf ear at times.   You will feel better in a couple months.   This recovery thing is VERY slow compared to any other surgery I have had ( and I've had 8 others).   I think it is because there are so many things we deal with all at the same time in recovery.... it is just exhausting.
     And yes it does help to vent ! ...especially to others who understand  :)
Margaret
P.S.  For some reason one of the things that 'tasted normal' about 11 weeks out was a root beer float..... I can't even tell you how many of those I have had in the last couple of months.....lets just say I have bought more than one 12 pack of A & W root beer.     ::)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:23:27 pm by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

lori67

« Reply #263 on: September 28, 2007, 10:53:47 am »
Wow!  This is great - I can vent and not feel bad about it!  I'm new here so it's nice to know I'm not alone!  I had the biggest laugh at some of the venting because I know how you all feel!  I walk like a drunk most of the time too - I had a cousin suggest I walk around with a half empty bottle of vodka so no one would wonder what my problem was!  And if I don't remember to bring a straw with me to drink it , I'd be spilling it all over myself too - that would complete the look.  My husband and kids have been great since my surgery in February 2007, but I know they just don't get it.  I once had someone (not a family member!) tell me I should get a dairy license because I was milking this surgery for all it's worth!  He thought he was being funny.   Not quite.  I'm a stay at home Mom, and after the two weeks my husband could take off work after my surgery, I was home 10 hours a day with a 4 year old and a 10 month old 6 days a week.  I couldn't drive, so we were stuck in the house - I couldn't see, I could only hear out of one ear and kept losing the kids in the house.  I think the fact that I eventually figure out where they are and they're in one piece is pretty darn good considering!  Everything is my house is so baby-proofed right now - my neighbor says its like a Baby Fort Knox - gates, plugs, locks...

Last weekend we were out shopping and I put on my sunglasses (my right eye doesn't close), even though it was overcast.  My husband looked at me and said "What's with your sunglasses?"  I just thought there were fingerprints or something on them.  He took them off and handed them to me - the right lens had popped out in my purse - so it was just a big empty hole that I hadn't even noticed.  He said "Wow, you really can't see out of that eye, can you?".  Ah, finally!  Does he think I make these complaints up?

Not that I like to see other people suffer, but it is nice to know there are people who understand why I constantly have bruises on my arms and legs from bouncing off walls and furniture, why I "ignore" them when they stand on my right side, why I don't smile at their jokes and why I'm constantly winking at them.

Thanks for the laughs!  They made my day!  Now I'm off to find my kids....
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #264 on: September 28, 2007, 11:42:17 am »
cold front moving in from the west... wonky head strut has been perfected and St. Imitrex doth surround me in preparation of the weather change... yay me....... ::)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

marg

« Reply #265 on: September 28, 2007, 07:38:26 pm »
Well, one more week of school down and only a million (it seems like) more until next summer.  I'm still teaching 1/2 time  .... hoping to go back in a couple of weeks to full time ( I've been saying that for the last 4 weeks )  .. my kids are great but I've got to admit I'm getting tired of trying to figure out which one (or more) of my 2nd graders is talking.... or whistling.... or humming.... when I am TEACHING !!    :o now I just stop until it is quiet.  .... I told my kids that we needed to get the lesson finished and "it's ok with me if it takes right through recess time I'm ok with staying in with you "  :)   Now when a child  does a   whistle, talk or humming thing while I'm teaching the other kids just stared at him/her and it gets quiet real fast   ;D and we all get out to recess on time   HURRAY !  ..... now if I could just get the quiet ones to speak up when I call on them.  'sigh'.... oh well, one battle at a time..... and it's Friday night and I'm not going to think about school things for 2 whole days.... or have to take as much headache pain medication as I do during the the school days either.   ahhhhhhhhhhhhh   peace and quiet.
Margaret
Marg 
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Jill Marie

« Reply #266 on: September 28, 2007, 11:27:01 pm »
Our youngest son was home on leave last week and bought a new camera.  He said that the camera wouldn't take the picture tell I gave him a big teethy smile! Great, now they make a camera that won't work until you smile they want you too!  Luckily he hadn't figured out that feature before he took my picture.  In addition I have mixed feelings about the fact that he wanted a teethy grin, had he been away from home so long that he forgot that Mom can't smile like everyone else or had he grown use to me over the years and didn't realize I couldn't give the camera the smile it wanted?  I didn't ask him about it as he had a lot more important issues on his mind that day as he found out that morning he was being deployed.  Thanks for listening! Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

marg

« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2007, 12:47:45 am »
Jill,   Sounds like he was preoccupied... and with good reason..........I'll pray for him.
Margaret
Marg 

Jill Marie

« Reply #268 on: October 07, 2007, 02:53:02 pm »
Thanks Margaret,

Our son called us this morning to let us know he's doing fine.  They are all settled in and should start doing there job in the next week or so, that's when I really start worrying!  I best get going as he placed his request for a care package which means it's time to bake the German  Chocolate Brownies and get them ready to mail along with some energy bars to keep him going.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

marg

« Reply #269 on: October 07, 2007, 11:22:57 pm »
Great idea Jill.  Chocolate helps make most things a bit easier (at least for most of us) and I'm sure your son will appreciate all the love that is going into those brownies .
 I have a nephew who was in the first Gulf war....... he is home now but I haven't forgotten how it felt to have him over there.... or how much we prayed. 
      Let your son know that there is a teacher in Washington state that appreciates him and all service men and women.  On Veterans Day I will share (as I do every year with my class), how important our service men and women are.  I have a banner that I put up that says   ' BECAUSE THEY SERVED ... WE STAND FREE '  and I send home stars for the kids to fill out with names of family members who have served our country.... I fill them out too: my nephew (the marine), my dad (WW2), my grandfather (WW1) etc.  These kids need to understand what it means ..and what it cost to live in a free country.  My husband's uncle gave his all in WW2... he is still on the Oklahoma .  I am very grateful to be an American..... please tell your son thank you and that I appreciate what he is doing.
Margaret

Marg