Author Topic: Walking Down Stairs  (Read 15353 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Walking Down Stairs
« on: April 14, 2007, 01:56:27 pm »
Anyone experiencing the same as I describe below?

I discovered, while visiting our daughter in Germany, I would fall forward on the "last" step while coming down stairs.  I live in single floor home, so never use stairs.  This was terribly frightening as one set of stairs in a building had a landing and at the bottom stair I fell forward towards the landing railing (if not for the railing I would've fallen from the second story) catching my fall forward.  I could not believe what was happening to me as all the stairs from the top were not difficult to "see".  I would keep my head in a neutral position (not looking down at my feet) and proceed one step at a time without problems.  My brain told me there was another step, and another step, and so on until the last step.  This step disappeared, I would step, but my legs reacted as if there was no step causing me to fall forward.  Like I was stepping into nothingness and there was no floor.  My family thought this was strange as they didn't have a problem, so I began wondering if this is an AN balance issue.  I also found myself not seeing curbes and lurching forward into the street catching myself at the last minute.  A few times of this and my husband started to put his arm in front of me when we approached curbes to cross the street (you know, the subtle signal to pay attention)   :-[
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Windsong

Re: Walking Down Stairs
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 02:35:07 pm »
Arushi, I have experienced this. It's mystifying and frightening when it first happens. For me it was after a viral attack and after my vesitibular system screwed up (about 7 yrs before my An was discovered). That last step was weird. I personally concluded it was a "depth perception" thing but am really guessing as why would it only show up when walking down a set of stairs?  Whatever it was,  I suspect it also was behind my vertigo and loss of equilibrium when I went for an appt at this hospital here a year later and had to navigate through walkways with lots of glass walls and railings etc and even a glass floor if i rememebr correctly. In any case i rememebr lots of glass disorienting me. The same was true at the Roy Thomson Centre in Toronto going up and down escalators with glass and mirrored walls all around. No problem for me before all the vesitbular crap but a major balance disruption sensation after. Slight inclines were also hard when walking and stepping over a metal bar with sliding glass doors type thing. I'm sure anyone watching thought I was "mental" or drunk.  Nothing like being in that situation to know what it REALly feels like. Good news is that over time a lot of it disappeared. But i am seeing a reoccurence of that lately ... NOT fun.
W.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 05:20:37 pm by Windsong »

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 02:53:15 pm »
Hi Arushi:  oh yeah, happens to me too - not as often, but when walking in unfamiliar territory like you said - happened 2 weeks ago, didn't see the step coming out a store & hit the ground hard with my foot - didn't fall though, was able to catch myself !!!!   Always going down a step, never up.
Oh, also, I find it difficult to walk on uneven surfaces, like when the sidewalk slopes for a driveway, that's always fun !
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 03:47:23 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tony

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 03:20:05 pm »
Yes carrying a cat downstairs is just about the most
dangerous thing I ever try to do - its borderline life threatening
Anyhow a tip for up or down stairs is
put your elbows OUT when on the stairs
(to contact with the wall or banisters)
yes, it rubs a little, but the proximity info
definately helps tell the brain where you are
So less likely to fall
Oh and a second hand rail helps too
Best regards
Tony

Shrnwldr

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:05:51 pm »
Stairs even before surgery I have always had a problem  I considered it having a "depth perception" problem, but I have had my eyes examed many times in the past few years and my depth perception isn't a problem.  I generally look down and hold onto the railing.  I also have problems with sloping sidewalks I usually will walk at the top because I have fallen so many times.  I also find going upstairs I have a tendency to want to fall backwards down the stairs.  Talk about scary!
So it will be interesting post-op how I do.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 02:57:24 pm »
Thank you everyone and Windsong, thanks for the out-loud laugh I had reading your words...."I'm sure anyone watching thought I was mental or drunk."   ;)  I have the same thoughts on a daily basis when I stumble.  So, I feel better I found the answer as when I asked my GP he was stumped, as was my family.  Gues this is "special" to us "special people!"  Still don't get why it's the LAST stair and not the first, second or so on.  This will be an ongoing challenge for me as stairs don't enter into my life that often.  Have a great day everyone!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear