Author Topic: Blood Sugar  (Read 6156 times)

Dfcman

Blood Sugar
« on: January 20, 2007, 10:45:39 pm »
When anyone had "this", did they notice they were having trouble with their sugar levels?  I know I had many instances where my body got totally paralyzed if I didnt eat something. It also seemed that my blood sugar could spike easier too.  Low Blood sugar doesnt necessarily mean Hypoglycemia or Diabetes.  I know a few years ago I got tested for it b/c I once had a panic attack and passed out and had low blood sugar.  Like 64 or something. Nothin there.... But it was prob all related.

I dunno, did anyone else experience this?  I remember one day I was traveling and hadnt eaten in six hours and I felt real wierd.  Like my one friend called and I literally could not speak correctly.  Like my speech was all slurrred and I wasnt making words.  It was odd, cuz my brain couldn't make my mouth form words. I was babbling and I really worried my friends... I stopped at a rest stop and ate something and I was fine.  It was almost like it never happened.

I dunnno, I guess it effects all differently.  But I reallly havent noticed my sugar levels fluctuating.  I am active just like I used to be.  The other day I went 16 hours w/o eating b4 I started to get a lil lightheaded(not that it was good for me).

I'm just kinda throwin this out there...
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

tony

Re: Blood Sugar
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 02:28:19 am »
Yes - its a strange one, somehow the AN seems to affect the blood sugar level ?
Well, maybe not directly
As far as I can tell, blood sugar levels are somehow more critical in ANers
than the non-ops. I think this is becuse we are more suseptable to the sensation
of fatigue (search fatigue or post op fatigue - lots to see)
To some degree increased sugar will help.
I would say though - the fatigue is largely brought on by the overworked balance nerve
- and the brain compensating. If you/we are having to work TOO hard to
stay upright - and on the straight and narrow - we tire, and easily
It does get better if you push it along
Regular balance and walking exercise is good here.
I can now play 4 hrs of golf - though lunchtime, with no lunch
Maybe tired after - but so is anyone who misses lunch....
Best regards
Tony

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 05:45:47 am »
Hi there:

When they tested your sugar before, was it just go in & they took blood?  Or did you have a Glucose Tolerance Test (a little more involved).
When I first read what you wrote, I thought, 'was he having that 'post op high'', it's almost like a manic state, euphoria sort of...
but when you said your friends couldn't understand your words...if that's not from facial paralysis....
I'd call my doctor & inform him/her of this, you may need a more involved glucose test.

Best wishes, Nancy

PS:  Hey Chris, didn't realize that was you buddy;  hope all's well your way. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:28:37 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 10:59:42 am »
i have noticed this too..... i seem to  need to eat at regular intervals to feel less spacy etc....
 this is recent in my life..... now and then before An was found (about 2 yrs of this off and on) and more frequently since An fsr treatment.

Someone who has diabetes checked my blood sugar levels for a lark during the holidays and was surprised that my count was questionable as it was a fasting count i.e. after sleeping and before breakfast.

I am having a glucose tolerance test done soon ( after mentioning it to my gp....)

In the meantime, i have been eating a low glycemic diet for about 3 months anyway, and i neevr have sugar in the house anyway for most of my life nor do eat sweet things, although i did have some over the xmas holidays...

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 11:12:16 am »
Hi, Chris,

I found that diet affect the way I feel big time and I had episodes that you described. I had to experiment with what works for me and now eat at regular intervals, no junk food, low-glycemic, avoid coffee but a lot of tea as well as take supplements. This made a huge difference in my day to day functioning. I think it is probably because we had huge tumors that were pressing on vital brain centers and the tumor removal was additionally very damaging. My friends (and actually family) can not understand why good food for me is such a big deal but I need to function, so no skipping meals, fast food or coffee and cake for me! If I cheat, I pay.

I was tested many times for diabetes but nothing was found.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 08:15:46 pm »
Chris about 5 years before I was diagnosed with the AN I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  It was just like you described.  I'd skip meals and pass out.  I did a glucose tolerane test and failed so followed a type 2 diet.  I never responed the way I should have to the meds and it wasn't until after the tumor was removed I was told I was possibly not actually diabetic.  I was retested with a glucose tolerance test and was within normal limits.  There was a study done somewhere that correlated type 2 diabetes and AN's. I just had my a1c done which showed in normal range and I've been eating regular sugared foods (thanks obita :o) and not watching my carb ratio like I used to.  I'm paying for it weight wise but not sugar wise.

southjersey636

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 08:00:17 pm »
I seem to have this same sort of problem where my sugar levels drop fast and I get spaced out and get uneasy feeling. I actually just got it tonight after drinking some chocolate milk and then eating a microwave meal. I do know that im still young and have a fast metabolism but my mom is also a diabetic. I actually plan to get tested for diabetes come next month when my health insurance kicks in at my new job.

My problems with uneasy feeling and whatnot seem to go away as soon as I eat something like peanute butter crackers since PB is known to help raise your sugar level fast since its a fast acting carb.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 02:08:04 am »
Hi All,

I have Type 2 Diabetes also.  I was diagnosed about a year or two before the AN reared it's ugly head.  But, I think that I would have gotten the big D anyway, since it runs in my father's family. I I've lost the weight (of course, I don't think I was THAT heavy, but apparently my body thinks otherwise!).  I also can never, ever be overweight again, because I get a "fatty liver" and that messes up the liver functions and when I lost the weight, the numbers all returned to normal.  So I have to keep my weight under 150.  I'm right there now, and I am trying to get it back into the mid to low 140's.  It makes me mad when I see these people who weigh 300 pounds and the story is they have a diabetes scare, lose the weight, and now everything is fine! I never weighed that much.  I was about 183 or something at my fattest.  I'm about 5'5".  A little under that I think. But I'm small boned, and I should be a slender, delicate thing!!  Body said....Too Fat, kiddo. Tough beans. It's the Big D for you.  I try to eat what I'm supposed to, but I cheat.  My stepmom has the big D too, but she is a very regimented woman and she has her strict routine that I've never been able to master. But she manages her diabetes so well, that she doesn't have much trouble with it.  I don't know how much correlation there is with both conditions, but it seems to me that since there are so many people with diabetes, then some of us are bound to have something else...like AN's. My New Years resolution is to be better with my diet and exercise and Hubby and I are trying.  It's hard, sometimes.  :P

Take care,

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Dfcman

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 06:45:14 pm »
that's good to hear that I wasnt alone.  Now that the AN is gone, I don't really get my lows anymore.  Maybe its a sign deep down though that I could be hypoglycemic....someday....eventually.   I must say I get cranky when I dont eat.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
Post Op as of 7/20/06

lmurray69

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 08:40:19 pm »
 I too am type 2 but I am on metformin and shots/byetta it helps keep me stable.I do like you said get high sugar and shake get sick. havent passed out yet. MY tumor is gone but my sugar stayed High. I do watch what i eat. the byetta helps too..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 10:15:56 pm »
I did the byetta...I was allergic to it  LOL  My sugar stayed high while I was on the decadron.  L was your tumor on the right or left?

Dfcman

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 05:59:19 pm »
I seem like a semi-retarted individual at times but what is byetta?  Sorry that might seem like a dumb question....

My Tumor was on the right side.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Dfcman

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 06:00:38 pm »
I capitalized "tumor"..it so does not deserve that...

decadron was a horrible drug!!!  I hated it and I ate like never before not to mention sweat perfusely.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:02:34 pm by Dfcman »
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
Post Op as of 7/20/06