Author Topic: third time the charm?? Brainstem recovery????  (Read 3222 times)

tenai98

third time the charm?? Brainstem recovery????
« on: January 30, 2017, 01:01:45 pm »
Tomorrow I am going to see my neurosurgeon to prepare for my 3rd  surgery to control the Booger.   First op was in 2009, via translab.    Last June, the tumour had re grown and I did 3 rounds of cyberknife.  Since then, I have been experiencing double vision, balance issues (even though the balance nerve was cut) and a feeling that my brain is out in the left field.  MRI confirms it is either growing or swollen to the point where I have no choice but to go for invasive surgery again...uggggh.....It cant never be completely removed as it is very tightly wrapped around my facial nerve.  This time, it will be the retro approach.   Who has had retro and what was your recovery like???  I know we are all different, but just to get a ball park figure.  I think I am ready for this surgery as I was for the first one.   I just want my life back.  Doctor ordered me not to drive.  My job is driving....uggghhh....The tumour is compressing into the brain stem.  Does the brain stem recovery or will I always have this feeling of my brain being drunk all the time.   Venting done  :)
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

LakeErie

Re: third time the charm?? Brainstem recovery????
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:57:11 pm »
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Since there is mass effect on your brain stem, partial removal of the tumor will relieve the pressure. But it takes time for the brain stem to readjust and you may experience symptoms of your return to normal positioning
I had a very large tumor with significant mass effect including shift of the 4th ventricle and was told I had 5 or 6 weeks to have the surgery. From the MRI's it took significant time, over a year, for the brain stem to move back where it was. I also had some compression of my cerebellum.
I had minimally invasive retrosig and was discharged in under 48 hours but had a long recovery because my tumor reached the Xth cranial nerve, the Vagus, and I had vocal cord paralysis and swallowing muscle paralysis which took 18 months to recover basic function. Every tumor seems different and every recovery is, too.
Brain stem will return to normal at some point depending on on degree of mass effect.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 05:29:32 pm »
So sorry, Tennai.  I had retrosigmoid on 12/12/16.  My tumor is also on the facial nerve, so the surgeon just debulked it.  It was very slow growing, but anything can change with these guys.  I'll have my follow-up MRI next month, and hopefully it will stay little and fairly empty, but who knows? 

My recovery has been excellent.  One night in ICU, 3 more in hospital, then about another week and a half before I felt normal.  But I'm retired and have very little in the way of responsibility.  If your job is driving it could be different.  At least you get to sit!

Sharon

riabovamd

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:54:50 pm »
I had same symptoms from my 4.7 cm AN pressing on cerebellum and brain stem. Also constant nausea.  All that improved 2 days after removal, double vision went away in 1 week, balance normalized in 10 days.  Make sure you walk and do balance exercises on your own. Cerebral edema, Hydrocephalus, cerebellar symptoms will all disappear as soon as source of increased pressure is removed.  Good luck.