General Category > AN Issues

Hearing implant

(1/1)

Willbur:
Hi All,

I hate to create redundant threads, but it looks like some of the posts are outdated and wanted to get some input. I have my surgery next Tuesday and I'm trying to look beyond that for a hearing implant. I know there is BAHA and another device out there, but I wanted to find out which one most people generally go with. Being that we are in 2017... I'm hoping one of these devices will be natural sounding. I tried YouTubing what it would sound like, but only Cochlear implant sounds were on there and everything sounded like a demon/monster voice.

Thanks,

Will

alabamajane:
Wilbur,
Good luck with your impending surgery. Before long you will be on the other side and onto recovery,, best wishes going out to you ,,,,

The BAHA device is manufactured by two companies,, Cochlear and Oticon Medical. Both are the same type device. I have the Cochlear, which I had implanted 2 years ago. I have the "4" model and in the Spring of 2015 they came out with the 5. They now have a 5S and 5 power I believe. The 5 is smaller than mine and supposedly a stronger processor. There are some other differences,, but mainly they have wireless and Bluetooth (to iPhones) capabilities. And several accessories available.

You can "try" the Cochlear with a headband device. You won't get the same results of course but similar. I haven't watched the YouTube video; however, I would assume those results are typical of the headband. Nothing , that I am aware of, is going to give you back "normal " hearing. So I would suggest not going after anything that will.

I have not had real good results  with mine, fair and better than without it,,, but not real good speech recognition. But after wearing it awhile, I believe a lot has to do with whether you have tinnitus in that ear. And I do. There are many though who love theirs and wouldn't want to do without it. There are many days I don't even wear it. SSD ,, single side deaf,, is not that bothersome for many of us. You adjust by learning where to sit when with others and other adjustments. I waited 3 years before getting mine and that may have impacted my results. I got "used" to hearing from one side,,,,,

Anyway,, I'm sure others will respond,, I wouldn't say I wouldn't do it again,,, as the surgery is very minor,,, but SSD is not that bad either,,, all a preference,,,

Jane

Willbur:
hmmmm so nothing that will sound natural? I want the best product out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version