Author Topic: Tooth Extraction With Facial Paralysis  (Read 4373 times)

InnerGrace

Tooth Extraction With Facial Paralysis
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:56:15 pm »
Hey all!  Was just wondering if there was anyone out there that has/had residual facial paralysis that had to get a tooth (teeth) extraction done.  I am 8 months out (30th of this month) and still have some facial paralysis...  (I was an HB 6 when I left the hospital, if I had to make a guess, I'd say I was a 3 now, maybe a 2...but probably 3.. think I'll ask my facial therapist the next time I see him...lol)  Anyway, just visited the dentist today and I have to get 4 molars extracted.  2 on the non paralyzed side and 2 on the paralyzed side.  The one that needs immediate attention is on my non... but, I didn't know if there should be any concerns with a tooth extraction while healing from facial paralysis.  Any info would be appreciated!  Thank you advance!
Diagnosed 4/28/2016
2.4 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN
Symptoms:  Mild Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus, Mild Balance Problems, Possible Vision Issues, Some Vertigo.
Retromastoid Craniectomy 05/30/2016. UPMC Presby
Dr's Gardner and Hirsch
Left SSD. HB 6 Facial Paralysis.  Waiting for the nerves to wake up...

researcher

Re: Tooth Extraction With Facial Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:20:45 am »
No advice on the tooth extraction but it's great news that your facial paralysis has improved so much! :)

UpstateNY

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:35:40 pm »
I did not have facial paralysis after my surgery last Feb, but needed to get an old large filling in a molar on my AN side replaced with a crown last month.  My dentist injected novocaine into the nerve/gland on the AN side to numb the area.  I usually need two shots, but this time after one shot I could feel each branch of the facial nerve start to numb.  After the second shot, my lip and gum numbed, but the entire side of my face froze up.  I could not close my eye, so needed to have it taped shut while they worked on me.  I've had novocaine shots many times in the past, but never had this reaction before.  It wore off after 45 minutes and all was back to normal, but my point is if you intend to get novocaine it may be worth asking your doctor what (s)he thinks.
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

JLR

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:51 pm »
Hi all have very swollen right side face. Had retro sig 5 months ago. Possibly need tooth extraction or root canal on an side. Are there problems with novacaine or sedation..thanks. Joan