Author Topic: Dr. Morcos  (Read 3337 times)

Telisa

Dr. Morcos
« on: December 02, 2016, 08:01:13 am »
My original meeting with a neurosurgeon was a little surprising. He said in his 20 plus years experience he has only seen two AN's located where mine is.  My AN is against my Cochlear. Deep into the vessel. Although it is small he recommends it to come out. He referred me to Dr. Morcos.  I have my first appointment with him December 13th.  Can anyone give me some insight or experience with him as a surgeon?  ???

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Dr. Morcos
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 07:31:24 pm »
Please look into radiation.  I had surgery with Drs. Fred Teleschi and Dr. Morcos, Univ. of Miami.  It was Dr. Teleschi who chose to cut my facial nerve.  Please get other opinions and look elsewhere.  I have had to deal with total facial paralysis for over 10 years now.
Best wishes to you.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ANSydney

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 07:37:33 pm »
Like others, I'm suggesting you don't rush. Talk to at least two neurosurgeons who regularly do craniotomy for acoustic neuroma and two that do radiosurgery. This will give you two sets of viewpoints.

caryawilson

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:51:13 pm »
Studies, that I've read, have shown the location, NOT the size, is more indicative of symptoms, and after you have significant hearing loss, it's an indicator the hearing loss will be permanent.  As indicated by CitiView, unless, your AN is extremely large, urgent surgery is almost NEVER required, and while it's tough to grasp, most likely will NOT change the outcome.  Keep in mind, from the time I was diagnosed, to my surgery was about 2 months (45 mm AN).  I lost the ability to produce tears during this time, which was a clear indication of the damage to my facial nerve.  However, my facial nerve was severely damaged and my outcome would have been the same if I had my surgery the day I was diagnosed.

"Against the cochlear", doesn't sound to be a major issue compared to the host of other issues that can be attributed to the AN.  I don't see anything that should give you a major concern.  Normally, the ENT will be responsible for clearing out the tumor in and around the ear as well as opening / closing the skull.  As the tumor grows, the neurosurgeon will be more focused on removed from inside the brain.  Therefore, for a small AN, the ENT will take the lead, while a large AN will be lead by the neurosurgeon.

In the end, schedule a second consult at one of the major centers and as recommended by the others, radiation should also be a consideration.  Miami is NOT considered a major center.  I live in Delray Beach, and went to John Hopkins. 

4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene