Author Topic: Retrosig Surgery soon  (Read 5421 times)

mandihester

Retrosig Surgery soon
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:58:11 pm »
I am having retrosig surgery for my 1.5cm AN on Halloween.  I'm beginning to get fairly nervous about this and would like to know the details that they don't tell you at the Dr. office.  Like- pre/op experience, dos and don'ts, hospital stay, how do they shave your head, lunbar drain ( I will be having one put in during surgery), etc.....anything you can think of would be very helpful!

Thanks!
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

caryawilson

Re: Retrosig Surgery soon
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 06:37:35 pm »
My surgery was for a 4.5cm AN, and I've definitely had my share of issues.  However, I wasn't really surprised, and the recovery took time but the post op was NOT as bad as I had imagined.

I was a little suprised at the MRI, I had a day before the surgery.  They put small "magnetic stickers" on my face that I needed to leave on until my surgery..  This helped them correlate my head to the MRI image for the surgical procedure.  So nothing negative.

The advice the worked for me:
1. You will be on high dosages of steroids, after the surgery, to control the swelling.  Plan on an ultra low sodium diet.  This will help minimize water gain and worked well for me.

2. You will have liquid steroids in the Hospital and switch to pills when you go home.  During the switch from liquid to pills, you may get a few symptoms.  For me this was sweating and hot flashes.  Also, as you ramp down on the pills you will also have some symptoms. No big deal.

3. I was off the pain medicine (and Tylenol), five days after my surgery.  I was NOT pain free, but I liked being less dopey. However, pain medicine in the hospital is AMAZING.  Goes right into the IV..

4. Start walking immediately in the hospital.  Walk as much as you can.  It won't be pleasant.. vertigo, tiredness... Push yourself.  The vertigo is a false signal (or lack of signals) to the brain.  Your brain should learn quicker if you are more active.

5. No lifting more than 8 lbs for the first couple weeks.

6.  Sounds funny.  Eat foods that won't have you "strain" on the toilet.  Pushing to hard can cause complications.

7.  I loved "grapes" during my recovery.

Lumbar drain??? Sorry no experience.

4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

ccooper

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:38:24 pm »
Best of luck to you! I had a very large tumor removed in Feb & July, both retrosig. My takeaways...
Get up and move - restore your balance
I hadn't anticipated the pain I'd have from being on the table on my side for so long
First experience pain meds were different from the second procedure. One made me feel like a zombie. Don't be afraid to request another.
Line up your post op care in advance. I scrambled for PT which was a mistake. Find a good alternative options like chiro, acupuncture if that's your thing.
Demand post ops, be an advocate for yourself. My first experience was at a huge hospital where I felt a bit like a number
Accept support
I didn't have any of the typical steroid symptoms that you hear a lot of people taking issue with
Echoing what Cary said - post op was not bad. I was out both times after three nights. Little pain, just adjustments to my patience level and small things in life
Nutshell, everyone is different. Be prepared. Have support. It's really not that bad. I was back to work within four weeks.
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

JLR

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 04:17:42 am »
Dear Caryawilson and Ccooper, what a relief to hear A positive post op review.  I'm in for surgery nov 1 and nervous as hell but after reading your post op remarks I'm ok. Really. I'm going to read it a few times haha. Thanks again, Joan

mandihester

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 06:39:51 am »
Thank you for sharing  Caryawilson and Ccooper!  I'm glad things turned out good for y'all!  I can only pray for a positive experience.
I'm thinking about you Joan!!!  Where are you having your surgery?
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

LakeErie

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 08:12:14 am »
Lumbar is lower region of your back, operative lumbar drain reduces intracranial pressure during craniotomies by releasing cerebrospinal fluid ( CSF.) I had one during my surgery and never noticed anything. It is a common practice.
Lumbar drains are also conservative measures post operation to treat any CSF leaks that may occur as a complication of surgery. If they work, and they often do, re-operation can be avoided. I had a nasal CSK leak after my surgery, but it healed on its own without any drains needed. Good luck
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:14:39 am by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

caryawilson

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 05:30:58 pm »
I can understand.. Brain surgery.. Sounds extremely scary.  Remember the absolute best doctors in the world are brain surgeons.  This is a crazy elite field, and is much safer and less painful than it sounds.

It may not sound like it, but there are much more painful and dangerous surgeries, by less competent doctors.
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

Highwireart

• AN is small. Surgery is 11/30/16. Out damn spot!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 01:54:59 pm »
I am an RN. I have worked in ICU's. Now a case manager in a hospital. I am 57 and find I am worried more as Nov 30th approaches. Heck, it's not even November yet. Maybe I know too much. I figured that when I am throwing up postoperatively, it will be cathartic because I will demand my brain to regurgitate all the words and sounds I ever heard from Donald Trump. Seriously though, having someone at your side in the hospital is helpful otherwise, use your electronic devices to record any meetings with the doctors or the physical therapists, etc, in case you do not have someone available to give you an accurate replay. That is what I plan on doing. Find humor.
"It's always something." ~ Gilda Radner

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 08:01:55 am »
I figured that when I am throwing up postoperatively, it will be cathartic because I will demand my brain to regurgitate all the words and sounds I ever heard from Donald Trump.

If you're going to go there, the same could be said about HRC depending on one's point of view. :)
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan