Author Topic: Possible Re-growth 3 Months Following Surgery  (Read 4843 times)

surfagain

Possible Re-growth 3 Months Following Surgery
« on: October 16, 2016, 08:32:31 am »
Hi,  I had a 4.2 AN removed 7 months ago- retro. surgery  The surgeon said he removed 98 percent and left behind a portion to preserve the facial nerve. During the 3 month pot op MRI, he said he thought he noticed some growth. He ordered another MRI in three months rather than the normal six months to have another look. That MRI is scheduled in two weeks from now.
A few questions:
Is this type of regrowth shortly after surgery typical? 
Has anyone noticed this type of early growth and done nothing only to experince idleness or shrinkage of the tumor in the future?
What if anything is the downside of doing nothing in the case of minor growth?
Please, any comments are welcome.  I will followup with what I learn in a few weeks.  Thank you.

LakeErie

Re: Possible Re-growth 3 Months Following Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 09:15:35 am »
Sudden regrowth is not typical, but it has happened. My own tumor remnant started regrowing at four years and was progressing further at 5 years so I just had GK last week to arrest the growth.
Regrowth does not immediately require new treatment. My neurosurgeon's opinion was that he would not operate on my regrowth yet, but I should consider GK now or soon because a sudden spurt in growth would require a larger dose of radiation and enough growth over time could preclude the use of GK entirely. The Gamma Knife Center physician simply told me that smaller is better when using GK, so I went ahead and had the treatment. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

surfagain

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 01:08:13 pm »
Thank you L.E. for the reply. You mentioned that sudden regrowth is not typical and that's why I wonder if it is swelling from the surgery. Please let me know how it goes for you.  All the best.

LakeErie

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 06:25:15 pm »
Here is the abstract of one study of regrowth of vestibular schwannomas showing "the times to regrowth ranged from 6 to 76 months (median 31.9 months.)"   Journal of Neurosurgery 2011.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21214329
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:08:12 pm »
Can't say anything about the typicality of quick regrowth other than to say every case is different. What I will point out is that the amount of regrowth might be the real issue. Was it the same MRI machine? What is it's accuracy? How much growth does he think he saw? It may be no more than a slight difference in the MRI or the slices. But, if the tumor has a good blood supply like mine, it may well grow quickly. It was about 18 months before my surgeon decided the observed growth was real and should be radiated. I was still on a six-month MRI schedule then.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

surfagain

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 04:26:35 pm »
Tod,
The first MRI was done at Sloan immediately following the surgery.  The second was taken three months later at Weil Cornel. Does your question refer to the accuracy of the machine itself? I would think the two previous are both state of the art at those two facilities. The MRI next week will be taken at an imaging center closer to where I live. How do you know if a tumor has a good blood supply or not?
I will know more next week and appreciate your feedback and everyone elses.  Thank you

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 08:20:22 pm »
Even if the machines are state of the art, the tolerances are such that two machines could give slightly different views. There are variety of posts on this site about the differences in MRIs that are possible. As for whether or not your tumor has a good blood supply, your surgeon ought to be able to tell you that. My tumor is right on an artery which not only allowed to grow easily, it also made the tumor very sticky which is why my surgery was so long.
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

caryawilson

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 06:46:08 pm »
I've had a bunch of MRI's since my surgery, 18 months ago.  One immediately after, three months, 6 months, and another at 6 months.  It appears I MAY have a recurrent turmor near my trigeminal nerve and it's around 1.2 cm.  However, there is also a theory that an outer capsule of the AN may have been left after surgery, and now it's collapsing and forming what appears to be a tumor.  In my case, all MRIs are done at Hopkins and I have a consistent history to compare.  However, this is NOT an exact science.  Over the next couple MRIs, it should become more apparent.

I would say one of the MOST important criteria is to at least have all MRIs read at the same facility.  This normally requires having the MRI done at the same location.  I know from my Dad's cancer, the MRIs do have different tolerances, but it's the consistent interpretation of the MRIs that is critical.  I fly 1,000 miles to get my MRIs at the same facility as my surgery.
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

JLR

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 05:43:41 am »
Hi Can u explain the facial paralysis. Thanks.

surfagain

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 10:15:44 am »
My doctor reviewed my recent MRI and noticed no growth in comparison to the previous MRI. I was expecting a plan for radiation and instead, he wants to see me in a year.   My recovery continues and am happy to have time to progress.  Thank you for the feedback.