Author Topic: Scleral Lense Advice  (Read 5478 times)

Derrick1268

• Trying To See All The Beauty
Scleral Lense Advice
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:00:07 pm »
I have had a cornea transplant several years ago in both eyes due to severe karetaconus. My ophthalmologist told me the best I would ever see was 20/40 or 20/30. for the past few years I have been wearing eye glasses and actually hated it. After researching and talking to a few optometrist I was told about the scleral lenses. During my exam the doctor had me reading 20/20 on the eye chart. I was amazed and couldn't wait till my lenses came in. Finally, I would be able to play golf and not have to ask "were did that go?" So I have been wearing the lenses for two weeks and my eyes are constantly read and I can fill the presence of both lenses. there is a small pain at the inner part of my eye lids close to my eyebrows and the inner parts of both eyes stay read. I see great with them, but I'm constantly being asked by other about my redness or what is wrong with me eyes. the pain is mild, but I'm wondering if this is the norm. I have to wear cheap reader glasses to read or do any computer activities, but as I stated, I see perfect. I use preservative free solution as recommended by my doctor and the six hour cleaner every night. I make sure the lenses are free of the cleaner before inserting them, but the redness is really concerning me. Please, can someone tell me if they have experienced this.

Thanks,
Derrick
Derrick T.

ccooper

Re: Scleral Lense Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 12:18:15 pm »
I have the same experience. Redness around the outside of the lens. I figured it's because it is a hard lens and just irritation. It is a bit less if I keep lots of fluid in my eye. I make a point everytime I go to the bathroom of adding drops so it kind of floats. I had temporary lens before I got my final one so it wasn't fit well and it really made my eye red so maybe your fitting isn't ideal?
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

Derrick1268

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:05:55 pm »
Do you have permanent lenses now?, if so, how are they? And what kind of drops are you using? and do you still have the tender pain around you eyes?
Derrick T.

ccooper

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »
I still get redness around the outside edges. Nothing like the temporaries. But it's better than an exposed open eye :) I just use regular drops to keep the lens lubricated throughout the day.
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:18:38 am »
HI Derrick & Cooper

You shouldn't have redness in your eye, either your lens isn't fitted right or you're not using enough eye drops (I use eye ointment) or perhaps both.  If the lens isn't fitted right it causes irritation which inflames your eye then the lens causes you pain because of the swelling.  If you don't keep your eye moist enough it gets irritated, swells and becomes painful.  I used the scleral lens for about 3 years, the first 2 1/2 years it was great, no redness or pain.  Then I started getting allergy problems with the lens and started using a daily use disposable lens.  There are pros and cons to using both lenses.  I don't have any issues with the lens I use now and have been using it for a year.  It costs me a dollar a day and the insurance company won't pay for it, but it's worth it to me.  The lens is so comfortable that I went to bed the other night without taking it out, remembered it just as I was drifting off to sleep.  Please check with your eye doctor to see why the scleral lens is causing you problems, it shouldn't be.  There are several posts on this site about both lenses, please check them out.  Jill
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:11:01 pm by Jill Marie »
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Derrick1268

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:50:45 pm »
Will do, and thanks Jill.
Derrick T.