Author Topic: Gamma vs. Cyber  (Read 9223 times)

mandihester

Re: Gamma vs. Cyber
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 06:37:21 am »
PaulW- thanks for sharing! That is definitely encouraging and I'm so glad you are doing so well now! 
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

CattAN

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 02:28:16 pm »
I had CK in one-session similar to GK but without the invasive mask.  I chose CK over GK because I read that the drill sites of the GK mask can get infected.  It sounds like the whole GK treatment requires a full day for prep, while the CK prep is done 2 days prior to treatment, it was simple and fast. 
Right side AN diagnosed 6/7/2015
12x11 mm
Swelling to 15x13 mm @ six months
SSD, tinnitus, some balance issues....
~~~~~~~~~
Stanford CyberKnife1 9/2/2015 (single fraction)
Dr. Steven Chang & Dr. Iris Gibbs

Blw

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 08:26:22 am »
It actually takes 5 minutes to put the head frame on. Infections can happen with any break in the skin and are not really a big problem. They disinfect very well. It's not really a big issue, though in my case a pin was close to a nerve or blood vessel and the anesthetic wore off after awhile. I was darn glad to get that thing off. They put it on at 7:00 am, and I walked out of the hospital around noon.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:36:59 pm by Blw »

rupert

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 10:34:13 am »
I had CK in one-session similar to GK but without the invasive mask.  I chose CK over GK because I read that the drill sites of the GK mask can get infected.  It sounds like the whole GK treatment requires a full day for prep, while the CK prep is done 2 days prior to treatment, it was simple and fast.

just to be clear, there is no drilling involved in the GK treatment process. Yikes!

mandihester

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 12:52:22 pm »
I thought the pin sites had to be drilled in???
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

rupert

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 05:59:10 pm »
I'm not sure if you're kidding?   In any case no,  from all of us GK alums out there believe me there is no drilling.  The pins are not screwed into your head either!  :o    The head frame is put on your head and positions of the 4 pins are marked.   They numb those small spots with numbing cream and novacain so you never feel the pins.  The pins are then tightened so that the head frame does not move on your head.  It does break the skin however and they put band aids on afterwards.  As others have said, the head frame is a non event for most people.  Which treatment option is up to you but, seeking out opinions from very experienced teams is standard advice here. Where are you located? 

ANGuy

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 06:48:39 pm »
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

mandihester

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 06:37:03 am »
Well that is a relief then!  I'm fairly certain that I read on one of the hospital website sites that they drilled the head frame in.....I feel silly now!  :)
I remember thinking, how barbaric is that!!!
I live just outside of Macon, GA.  My original referral was to Augusta, GA, but I didn't go because I have an appointment this Friday at Emory in Atlanta. 

ANGuy- this is definitely similar to what I was picturing in my head about the frame!