Author Topic: My experience with trans-lab surgery.  (Read 9509 times)

PranaRN

Re: My experience with trans-lab surgery.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 03:36:34 pm »
I truly believe the surgical option was the best choice for me.  I know people who have had longer recovery with radiation and surgery.  I do think there are long term effects that can be experienced from radiation that are not worth that route.  But it's also, to each their own and what they may want for themselves. 

I do want to share this past weekend, I started having feeling back in my ear.  It's been a long time since I've felt it, so it was a happy moment for me!!  My hair is also growing back and although I look a bit like Alfalfa...there is light at the end of the tunnel.   ;)

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 04:12:28 am »
I truly believe the surgical option was the best choice for me.  I know people who have had longer recovery with radiation and surgery.  I do think there are long term effects that can be experienced from radiation that are not worth that route.  But it's also, to each their own and what they may want for themselves. 

I do want to share this past weekend, I started having feeling back in my ear.  It's been a long time since I've felt it, so it was a happy moment for me!!  My hair is also growing back and although I look a bit like Alfalfa...there is light at the end of the tunnel.   ;)

PranaRN,

That's terrific that you're having some feeling restored in your ear, and that your hair is growing back.  I wish I was that fortunate. How is your Tinnitus after the surgery?

I agree with you that everyone needs to make a decision based on what is best for their particular situation, as AN's are a nerve tumor and will always be close to the cochlea/facial/hearing nerves. As a Registered Nurse, I'm surprised you weren't shouting out the size of your AN to anyone that would listen. Speaking for myself, the first thing I did when I meet doctors (or friends) was to tell them I have a 1.8cm brain tumor. If you have a moment and are willing to share, I'm curious to know about the people you mentioned who have had a longer recovery with radiation compared to your very eventful surgery? As I understood it, with radiation, the recovery is primarily from the pin sites healing.

In any event, if you get a chance to find out the size of your tumor it would be most interesting to compare notes with everyone here.  I see a lot of us have put the dimensions of our AN in our signature.  I hope your hair continues to grow back so you look better than Alfalfa. If you don't mind me asking, what were the long term side effects you were worried about with radiation that made it not worth pursuing? It seems like you would have been a perfect candidate considering you mentioned it was so small.  My friends couldn't believe your story when I forwarded it to them. Anyways, I'm glad to hear you're doing better now after brain surgery.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:15:12 am by mcrue »
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

Jet747

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 07:18:54 am »
I'm curious to know about the people you mentioned who have had a longer recovery with radiation compared to your very eventful surgery? As I understood it, with radiation, the recovery is primarily from the pin sites.

mcrue,

Having had GK radiation nearly 1 year ago, I would say the longest part of recovery was the tiredness I felt following the procedure.   I'd estimate it took 4 weeks to feel "back to normal".  Your right on the pin sites though, they too a couple months to heal but they were more of a nusience than anything.  It's hard to know if the tinnitus I have now is related to surgery or the radiation but it really acted up about 4 months following the radiation (10 months following the surgery). 

Jet
RS Surgery May 2015

GK Radiation October 2015

https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21969.0

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 01:12:41 am »
I'm curious to know about the people you mentioned who have had a longer recovery with radiation compared to your very eventful surgery? As I understood it, with radiation, the recovery is primarily from the pin sites.

mcrue,

Having had GK radiation nearly 1 year ago, I would say the longest part of recovery was the tiredness I felt following the procedure.   I'd estimate it took 4 weeks to feel "back to normal".  Your right on the pin sites though, they too a couple months to heal but they were more of a nusience than anything.  It's hard to know if the tinnitus I have now is related to surgery or the radiation but it really acted up about 4 months following the radiation (10 months following the surgery). 

Jet

I hope you're feeling better after enduring both surgery and radiation treatments. My pin sites healed really quick in just 14 days with no issues.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan