Author Topic: Bi-focals causing wonky head  (Read 2149 times)

robertwh2

• Personal Blog
Bi-focals causing wonky head
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:58:57 am »
I am 6 years post op with on-going balance issues. I have needed bi-focals for the last 2 years and bought a pair, but I cannot seem to get use to them. I use them while I am at my desk at work, at my desk at home, or sitting on the couch reading. If I get up and walk around much I start to get wonky headed. I cannot wear them and go up or down stairs without great difficulty.

I did talk to a Neuro Otto when I was first using them and he told me to not even bother. He encouraged me to have my normal distance only glasses and keep bi-focals for when I need them.

Has anyone had experience with transitioning to bi-focals? Any success you can share or thoughts on other things I might be able to try to get my head to adjust to them?

Thanks!
Diagnosed Feb 2010 with 2.3cm x 3.2cm left side AN
Trans Lab May 26, 2010 tumor had grown to 4.5cm, University of Michigan
Subsequent MRIs are clear
Left single sided deafness

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Bi-focals causing wonky head
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 12:55:08 pm »
Hi robertwh2 .....

Although I needed bi-focals long before being diagnosed with my AN, I can relate to balance issues with bi-focals.  Actually, I only wore my original bi-focals a very short time before switching to tri-focals because I could not adjust to the huge difference between the focal lengths (even before my disrupted vestibular system).

I still wear tri-focals, but I am very, very careful to tip my head down far enough when walking to be looking only out of the top (far distance) lens.  However, if you primarily need the better near vision at work or reading, you might be better off with two distinct pair of glasses ..... kind of a pain to deal with two pair, but better than falling .....

Just my thoughts .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

robertwh2

• Personal Blog
Re: Bi-focals causing wonky head
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:43:09 pm »
Thanks Clarice.

I work with 2 pairs now. One being my standard distance glasses for driving, walking, etc... they are my default pair. I use bi-focals when at my various desks. It is a pain and I am finding I need my bi-focals more often like reading my phone, the menu at a restaurant, etc.... Figured I would be stuck with 2 pair now on, but who knows. Most likely going to order a few more 'cheap' bi-focals to keep at work, at home, in my car, etc...

all part of the new normal and that pesky getting older thing. Still much better than the alternative!  ;D
Diagnosed Feb 2010 with 2.3cm x 3.2cm left side AN
Trans Lab May 26, 2010 tumor had grown to 4.5cm, University of Michigan
Subsequent MRIs are clear
Left single sided deafness