General Category > AN Issues

has this happened to anyone ?

(1/1)

Kathleen_Mc:
Hi everyone.
I have a question for those who are a number of years post-op who also lost the left 10th cranial nerve during surgery (vagus nerve).
Anyone having difficulty with heart rate regulation ?
I ask as in the last couple of years I have developed a fainting issue, that is to say I have developed a different kind of faint than I have ever had before (always been one to faint).....my heart rate is noted to be dropping ! At times I have found it to be in the low 40's, even while up and about and not feeling faint..... Feb past I had a significant event (fainted and turned blue at work..... co-workers WEREN'T IMPRESSED ) and since have had many tests without the problem showing on EKG, although it is believed to be a heart issue the doctor's keep stating "you're too young for this" and I ask them all if this could be the long term effects of having lost the left 10th cranial nerve over 25 years ago.......they cannot answer my question, they don't know.....hence I turn to you all, the experts in AN's.
I had a recent CT of the head, last MRI was fine, EEG fine as well (hence the reason they believe it is cardiac in nature).
Anyone ?
Kathleen

LakeErie:
I did not lose my 10th nerve, but had major involvement with the tumor. My vocal cord was paralyzed and gradually improved but still not normal. My swallowing muscles were impaired and still are somewhat. These issues are attributed to a branch of the vagus nerve;.
As far as heart rate, my experience is the opposite. As a long time runner I always had a very low resting heart rate, in the 40's upon awaking, with no fainting problems . Immediately following surgery my heart rate was in the 110's. It slowly dropped but is twice what my normal used to be. A cardiologist told me it was higher than he liked and if I were not asthmatic he would prescribe a beta blocker to lower
it. I am almost 5 years since surgery and no real change in heart rate as it is regularly in the 90's.
For those who are not aware, the 10th cranial has a branch to the heart.

Kathleen_Mc:
LakeErie:
Funny that you say you've had a problem with racing heart rate......this used to be my problem say 10 years ago but mine was consistently in the 140's.....couldn't find a cause at that time......then it returned to a normal 80-90 .....it was only about a year ago I discovered the bradycardia.
 I had sent an email to my original surgeon (pioneer neuro-surgeon here in Toronto) but he didn't respond.....Internists and my family physician haven't a clue. 
Thanks for responding
Kathleen

v357139:
Kathleen,
Sorry for your troubles.  There is still so much these doctors do not know.  At times we definitely have to advocate and investigate for ourselves.  I am sure there is a doctor out there with the answer.  You just have to find him/her.  Keep looking if you think that makes sense.  Best of luck.
Rich

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version