Author Topic: Worried I may have AN  (Read 3865 times)

ChronicWorrier

Worried I may have AN
« on: May 26, 2016, 09:25:15 am »
Hello everyone,

By my name you can tell I'm a worrier but this time my worry has spiked.

So back in November of 2014 I went on a cruise. After the cruise I noticed I could hear my pulse in my right ear. Eventually it got worse. Once I looked it up I realized I had pulsatile tinnitus. Seeing that it was harmless I put my worries aside.

Last year at my annual checkup I told my doctor about it, she looked in my ears and didn't see anything. Now throughout the years it has gotten barely, it's gotten to the point where it can do days without happening. If it happens it means I'm usually annoyed.

Now recently (about a month ago) I had an ear ache in my left ear. I went to the doctor and she didn't see anything however she prescribed me some antibiotics since I do suffer from allergies. After that my ear didn't hurt anymore but it's been a downward spiral from there. I'm convinced something terrible is wrong and I can't take my mind off of it. Because of that my tinnitus has came back and I have headaches now plus mild vertigo (where the room doesn't spin but to bump) . At times I don't feel "right." I've been worrying  and this worry has caused me to have panic attacks. I talked to a nurse yesterday who said a lot of this maybe due to anxiety but I'm not sure.

I just want some advice, all of this is making me very sad.

Greece Lover

Re: Worried I may have AN
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:40:56 am »
There is only one thing to do here: go to a very good E N T Doctor.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:46:13 am »
Hi ChronicWorrier .....

First of all, take a deep breath.  The Internet/Google is a wonderful thing, but it can scare the socks off of us if we try to self-diagnose ourselves.

Some of your symptoms can be associated with an acoustic neuroma.  However, they can also be associated with several other conditions.  You do not mention any hearing loss, but some ANs do not present with hearing loss as a first symptom (mine did not).

For your own peace of mind, what you need is an MRI with contrast to rule out or confirm an acoustic neuroma.  It is important that it be done with contrast to be sure even a tiny AN can be seen.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mac84

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 12:29:56 pm »
As the father of a daughter who has struggled with health anxiety for quite some time I'm going to err on the side of anxiety. It can cause so many physical problems!

But, as others have said, getting to an ENT and getting an MRI if warranted is the way to go.

In the event you do have an AN, you can handle it! It's not a death sentence and so many of us deal with it every day.  ;)
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs

ChronicWorrier

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 04:08:29 pm »
Thank you all for your wonderful answers!

My next primary care doctor's visit is next month. I'll ask if she can refer me to an ENT.

amanda_r442

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 03:20:53 am »
My suggestion is also to consult an ENT. I am also facing some problems. The main problem is lightheadedness. I can’t stand or sit up. If I do so, I become weaker and tend to lay down. I am not sure about the fact which causes this. I am an alcoholic and I can’t live without it. My husband is saying that as the reason, but I am weaker even if I’m not drunk. One of my friends said me that it may be caused by acoustic neuroma. My husband is compelling me to attend an addiction recovery program where my friend is saying me to make a complete health check up. What do you guys think?