General Category > AN Issues

The closet I could find...

(1/1)

Jessa:
Hi I was diagnosed with a ?schwannoma A year ago today, my tumour involved the vagus and hypoglossal cranial nerves, I was also 27 weeks pregnant with my first child, I have deficits from the surgery such as vocal cord paralysis, quite hoarse voice, and at times difficulty swallowing. I want to have more babies but due to the uncertainty of it returning or me putting my future child's life at risk I am a bit lost in what to do! Anybody else that has had or is having this?

Tod:
Hi Jessa, there are few of us that have suffered vocal cord paresis, swallowing difficulties, and the rest. I had a 32-hour surgery and wound up with a completely paralyzed left vocal fold and could not speak above a whisper for a year. Eventually my voice returned to about 80% of normal. I still have difficulty yelling or communicating in very noisy/stressful environments. The swallowing difficulties "enhance" these problems by adding to the hoarseness. Interactions with the vagus nerve result in occasional unpleasantness.

I don't *think* these are deal breakers for future pregnancies, but you need to sit and talk with your doctors about it. You may wish to at least wait another year before trying. I know I felt much better at the end of year two than at the end of year one.

-Tod

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version