General Category > AN Issues

Anyone skilled at VNG test results? Won't hold you to it...

(1/2) > >>

Notanotherthing:
Obviously I do not expect anyone to interpret my test I was just curious of something & Love your nonprofessional opinions. Although at this point I find most of you professionals.I have had sway and stumble balance problems since last fall. All doctors insist that my small AN will cause vertigo not balance problems. That's well &  good I listen to what they say  and figure I am just nuts. I have never had vertigo just list like a ship on the ocean and stumble like a drunken sailor.

Met with a new ENT and he sent me for the VNG testing today mainly because my vestibular therapists  are concerned because they are testing me and seeing an abnormal VOR.

So on warm water caloric my eyes went towards my affected ear, which I suppose would be expected. But they continued to nystag (or whatever you want to call it,)  toward the affected ear and I had involuntary turning of my head towards the affected ear as well.  Is that normal?  I was able to hold my eyes straight longer on that side than the other side. I am wondering if this even is vestibular nerve issue. I am thinking I'm crazy. I also threw up I was so sick after that warm water on my affected side.  Think it's psychological? Think it's my eyes? Just wondering. I was then told I should be walking with a cane.   I have some other neurological problems and they're always considering other issues. Just wondering what that reaction to warm water may signal.

jbbrown15:
I had this done recently. Warm water in affected ear - no response. Warm water in normal ear - dizzy and nauseous. Cool water in affected ear - no response. Dr didn't bother doing cool water in good ear, went right to ice water in affected ear. Ice water in affected ear caused little response by eyes (I couldn't feel anything). Dr told me my affected nerve scored a 2, and said that's essentially dead.

Good luck. Whatever you do, don't doubt what you're feeling. Just because one or two or three docs don't know what it is or why it's happening doesn't mean it's not real. I spent a long time trying to ignore problems because I was told they weren't symptoms of AN, only to find that many other doctors disagreed with the opinion and had treatments to help me.

Notanotherthing:
Thanks Jean. I agree with you that my vestibular on the affected side must be hanging in there so far. And I agree with you that you say potato I say potata & I too feel these doctors can't say how we feel unless they have an AN  with similar symptoms as us.

I suppose then this is not AN related. Anyone have an idea though of what may cause the eyes to not go back straight or to the opposite side of the warm air and what may cause involuntary head movement to the warm air side?  Once again not holding anyone to their opinion, but sometimes I just like to have an idea. The technician did ask me if I had any changes in my MRI from originals to my last one ( I have white matter lesions), and asked me if my mild cognitive impairment( which I have)  had worsened and I had to say unfortunately yes. And  that speech cognitive therapy had reached out to my neurologist for a differential diagnosis or they're going to have to call dementia Alzheimer's.    I am no spring chicken, but Im young for all this.  I am sure this question is not appropriate for this board and I'm sure glad that it's anonymous, LOL. But if anyone is skilled at the interpretation of this test I'd love to know your thoughts.

arizonajack:

--- Quote from: Notanotherthing on April 21, 2016, 12:40:56 pm ---Obviously I do not expect anyone to interpret my test I was just curious of something & Love your nonprofessional opinions. Although at this point I find most of you professionals.I have had sway and stumble balance problems since last fall. All doctors insist that my small AN will cause vertigo not balance problems. That's well &  good I listen to what they say  and figure I am just nuts. I have never had vertigo just list like a ship on the ocean and stumble like a drunken sailor.

--- End quote ---

No, you're not nuts, your doctors are nuts.

I can tell you from my own experience that your VS is very likely causing your sway and stumble balance problems (what I call the lurches) because that's exactly what my VS did to me. Not being able to walk a straight line and feeling like I was on a boat or subway train. I never had vertigo (dizziness, nausea, room spinning - none of that), just the lurching and my VS was also small (9mm x 4mm x 3mm) when I was diagnosed.

I was already deaf in that ear by the time I was diagnosed but my ENT sent me for a VNG which concluded that my balance issues were consistent with my VS. Duh.

Notanotherthing:
OMG @arizonajack you just made me laugh out loud!!  I'm sure I will be able to say "duh" too soon.

I just find it hard when people who don't have one tell you how you're supposed to feel. I mean it's the AN or I have a phantom hand  who pushes me trying to knock me down so I hit my head and join the spirit world with them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version