Author Topic: Proton Beam Treatment was a good solution  (Read 4508 times)

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
Proton Beam Treatment was a good solution
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:08:46 am »
My hubby still gets tinnitus at times and he still is deaf in one ear, but otherwise he's had a good outcome from Proton Therapy. If you are interested in an outcome that is good, please do an advanced search and look up the posts under my alias "Keep Smiling". Maybe this treatment would be helpful to you too. I hope so.
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
Re: Proton Beam Treatment was a good solution
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:12:41 am »
Glad your husband! did well.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

KeepSmiling

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:41:22 am »
Just for the record- It has been 3 years since the proton therapy and my husband is still quite well. No growth. No issues other than the occasional tinnitus. He's always in good spirits. He still works full time in an intellectually demanding field with increasing responsibilities.  He is enjoying bicycling a few times a week-but he complains about how hot it is here and how his friends -who are younger than he is- are biking at speeds of 23-27 m.p.h. , and how, after a couple hours, he's said he has been dropping out of the group on some Saturdays. He will be 59 this summer, so, maybe he's not as invincible as he once was, eh? 

For those who are considering proton therapy, please do research for yourself about how the team of doctors you may be considering may have procedures to make it possible for the patient to not disturb the treatment because of possible movement/sneezes etc. 

For my husband, there were custom fitted foam "restraints" and also a dental restraint- he bit into a customized head gear thing.  I saw how the staff spends lots of time throughout the 6 weeks making absolutely sure that the patient is immobile and reasonably comfortable for proton treatment of the head. 

I have photos. If interested, simply send us a personal message and ask us to send you photos of the head and body gear that prevents possible movement during the 28 sessions.

We could also send photos of the time when he gave a little talk about rockets and space to the other proton therapy patients - which consisted of kids from around the world who were being treated with Proton Therapy.  That photo is really cute and sad at the same time. (Proton Beam  is used for children who have malignant cancer.  We met the children and their parents -who traveled- internationally- to get Proton Therapy to save them) Those kids with their profound struggles are still in our thoughts.

Why did we pick the Proton Therapy? My husband has a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and he was impressed by the science of Proton Therapy. He said he was impressed when he read how there is no "exit dose" with Proton Therapy.  What this means is when Proton Beam Treatment is done properly,  the radiation hits the target and not the surrounding tissue. The normal tissue is spared. This is what makes Proton Therapy different from other radiation. When he saw there were not  many studies about proton beam therapy,  he talked to those patients here at this forum who had Proton Therapy. He also decided to try to get his treatment by one of the authors of the few studies at the proton therapy center where the study occurred.  We contacted the Proton Therapy centers that were connected to the authors of the studies and ultimately selected one, once the insurance issues were finally FINALLY resolved. 

As always- best wishes to all.
PS Prostate issues and other issues may or may not be optimally treated by Proton Therapy or may be. We do not know. We did no research about that issue at all because it was not relevant. There could be many variables to consider when researching proton treatment for prostate and other issues.
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 03:31:42 am »
Glad to hear your husband is doing so well 3-years after Proton beam therapy.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

Bomberman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 07:44:52 am »
Where did you go to get this therapy? My radiologist prescribed me a very similar procedure, but he said that the nerve would also get radiated as well. What is your husbands result now? Is the tumor shrinking? Did he have good hearing to begin with?

Thanks you.

KeepSmiling

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 10:03:35 am »
The proton therapy took place in 2013 at the Francis H. Burr Proton Therapy Center, which is part of Massachusetts General Hospital. To learn more about that facility you could "google" Massachusetts General Hospital and the words "Frequently Asked Questions About Proton Beam Therapy".

Obviously outcomes will vary-it depends on the patient’s age, medical history, diagnosis, disease size and location. In general- With Proton therapy-In order to ensure a minimal amount of radiation is exposed to normal structures the doctors customize an apparatus- they  "conform" the proton beam very tightly to the target. Diagnostic quality pre-treatment x-ray and ultrasound imaging allows them to keep the margins very tight.

There is a newer type of proton therapy that may be even better and it is called Proton Beam Pencil. It is possibly available at a few places. I'd start a search at MD Anderson. I don't know enough about it to offer any enlightenment.

In answer to your question: He did not have any hearing in his left ear before the proton therapy and no hearing was restored after Proton Therapy. The tumor did not shrink and it did not grow, as of 3 years after the proton therapy.  Read more about him by doing an advanced search. Go to advanced search and type in "Keep Smiling" I've posted frequently and you'll find lots of details.

Send me a private message if you'd like more details. Good luck!