General Category > AN Issues

Is this a new procedure??? Seems so much better than Translab

(1/3) > >>

kkweiher:
 :D :D :D Okayyyyyyyy so if my growth warrants removal I am definitely going to check this out!!!!!!!!!!!  Acoustic Neuroma: Surgerty, Treatment & Symptoms/Skull Base Institute  http://m.skullbaseinstitute.com/acoustic-neuroma/?  The Translab caused so many issues its not even a little amusing :-\

BudD61520:
I read up on that awhile back while researching options for my treatment. i think the main upside is relatively quick recovery time with fewer side effects. the downsides were 1) it's relatively new, if not experimental, and 2) IF a hemmorhage were to occur during surgery (and i have no idea of the likelihood of that), it would be difficult to remedy resulting in severe complications/potential death.

arizonajack:

--- Quote from: BudD61520 on March 02, 2016, 02:41:22 pm --- it's relatively new, if not experimental,
--- End quote ---

Not really. The Skull Based Institute may have only been using the technique for 5 year but others have used it longer.

"The first report of fully endoscopic resection of vestibular schwannoma was by Shainian and
coworkers in 2004 (Shahinian et al. 2004). Kabil and Shahinian in 2006 have presented 112
fully endoscopic procedures performed via 1.5 cm retrosigmoid craniotomy with excellent
results. 95% tumors were completely removed. Subtotal removal was performed in 5% of
patients in an attempt to preserve their hearing. Anatomical preservation of the facial nerve
was achieved in all patients and of the cochlear nerve in 82% of hearing ears. Some or
serviceable hearing was preserved in 58% of preoperative cases. There were no major
neurological complications (Kabil & Shahinian, 2006)."

Quoted from the following article:

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/24330/InTech-Minimally_invasive_endoscopic_and_endoscopy_assisted_microsurgery_of_vestibular_schwannoma.pdf

BudD61520:
has anyone on this forum had the procedure done?

areles:

--- Quote from: BudD61520 on March 03, 2016, 11:59:58 am ---has anyone on this forum had the procedure done?

--- End quote ---

if you search it, you can see posts as far back as 2012, if i recall.  though i don't recall if there were any personal accounts - there was a lot of HEARING of positive personal accounts, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version