General Category > AN Issues

Research at Mass Eye and Ear and MGH

(1/2) > >>

Cityview:
These are two links to research that was done at Mass Eye and Ear/Mass General. One study found that NSAIDs (aspirin) may inhibit growth of vestibular schwannomas. The other was a study that found that secretions from some tumors cause cochlear damage, while secretions from other tumors do not. I'm hoping that pharmaceutical companies will develop medicines to inhibit the growth of tumors. I'm not sure if the links will work on this forum, but you can copy and paste them into your browser.

Secreted Factors from Human Vestibular Schwannomas Can Cause Cochlear Damage
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep18599

Researchers Find Salicylates, a Class of NSAIDs, Stop Growth of Vestibular Schwannomas
http://www.masseyeandear.org/news/press-releases/2015/02/2015-vs-aspirin-translational-medicine

DizzyMamaIL:
I hope the day comes when taking medication becomes the fourth option!

Geminigirl:
I have heard that there have been or Perhaps are clinical trials on the use of Avastatin.

Crazycat:
If it weren't for rotting out the stomach and digestive system, NSAIDS would be the pain killer of choice. There's probably a direct correlation between NSAID abuse and the modern day plague of gastric reflux disease.

Interesting about the NSAID-AN research because there is a similar study being conducted at Mass General on NSAID and colon cancer at the present time. I know because I was invited to participate. They'll pay $500 for 2 visits 8-12 weeks apart. I'm not sure I'm up for it. I don't particularly relish the idea of taking NSAIDS every day for weeks on end; also, it means I'd have to drive into Boston and I hate driving (double vision, nervous wreck, fear of texting iphone zombies etc....) Maybe I'll take the train in? It's only a 30 minute ride. It's just that every time I've tried to go in by train, it's failed for one reason or another, so like a lot of other things (chronic NSAID abuse included), I don't trust it.

Kerrybr92:
I think like everything you need to be careful about taking too much. Moderation, I am afraid is the key.  I was sort of on the NSAID bandwagon for both pain control and also the prospect of it reducing the growth of the remains of my tumor.  But through an unfortunate series of events, including taking it  on an empty stomach I ended up with a rupture of my stomach lining.  Now that was not much fun. 

So my advice is be careful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version