Author Topic: New AN Memoir  (Read 5635 times)

Dr T

New AN Memoir
« on: February 20, 2016, 09:58:04 am »
Hello. I had a large, precariously located AN removed under emergency circumstances in 1985. I am posting for two reasons: 1. to offer my reflections/perspective to anyone interested about my experiences pre- and post-op; and 2. to advise you of a memoir I am about to publish where my AN journey is a subtext. I tried contacting the admin to see if it is appropriate to promote this here; if not, I apologize in advance and would be glad to relocate/remove this post. You are probably wondering why I am writing about this 30-years hence. A key event happened a year ago and it spurred me to write non-stop. Now 18 chapters later the book is complete and publishing details will be available in the next several weeks. The book is called White Man's Disease (provocative title, not a provocative book--it will be clear upon reading where that title comes from.) I have a blog with excerpts here: http://whitemansdisease.weebly.com. The photo is a placeholder for the book cover art. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:43:26 pm by Dr T »

Dr T

Re: New AN Book
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 08:03:56 am »
Hello. Many new excerpts have been posted to on my blog here http://www.whitemansdisease.com/blog. Book is in editing and should be available in about a month. I know my website has received some visitors from here--thank you for that!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:54:37 am »
Can't wait to read to read it. I am a white man and have black relatives. My family were slave owners in the 16th and 17th century, in northern Virginia. We are blood relatives, and we communicate in person and letters. Small world we live in. Love your neighbor.

James

Dr T

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 12:23:38 pm »
Thanks James for your interest. There is an interesting anecdote--well I think so--relating to where the book title comes from. If you have been to the site there is a blog post listing the table of contents, and it is in chap 9, titled White Man's Disease that I divulge the reason behind that title.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:58:10 pm by Dr T »

Dr T

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:51:21 pm »
New excerpt just posted, Ch 13, Muhammad Ali: "I will pray for you." Ali to me, June 1985 http://www.whitemansdisease.com/blog

Dr T

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 06:49:49 am »

Happy Mother's Day. In the spirit of Mother's Day, here is a brief excerpt about the fateful May 28, 1985 phone calls to my mom and mother-in-law after being told that I have some kind of brain tumor.

Book is close; editing done, proof & cover art draft on Monday. Also, since my last post, have added a "Fun Facts" page to the website--check it out. I realize it may be difficult for some to use the word fun in conjunction with AN, but with a 30-year look-back things take on a different perspective, and the book is about perseverance and triumph. Thank you: http://www.whitemansdisease.com/blog

ANGuy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 07:36:29 pm »
Cityview,

That sign on the hospital means there are people in there a lot worse off than you.  The sign where I go says something about brain cancer center.  Walk through there and see a bald headed kid or two and our problems seem small.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:23:04 pm by ANGuy »
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Dr T

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:56:39 pm »
Cityview,

Thanks for your kind words and wishes of good luck. Your synopsis is right on target--diverse background and experiences. I am sure we all have stories to tell. I can't even wrap my head around your comment about getting your MRI off the net and then Googling; I suspect you had your surgery well after 1985! I can relate to your comment about 8 people. That's the number of people I told about my one-sided deafness over 30-year period--and only 2 knew of my AN-related sight loss on one side (my wife at the time, and my current wife.) That's called vanity/self-consciousness.

I am glad you are interested in the book. I will post when it is available for order in a few weeks. Best wishes...Paul

Dr T

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:14:55 pm »
Brief new blog post: "The Event That Inspired White Man's Disease" http://www.whitemansdisease.com/blog

juliarke

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 09:50:40 pm »
I would be interested in the availability of your book. I had AN removed in 1995, 31 years ago and I still have questions and I have lots of answers and advice. I had to old surgery behind the ear and yes I am on SSDI for several reasons related to post-operative complications. My life has changed drastically over the years, still deteriorating, and I have to find other things to enjoy because I cannot do what I loved.  My church is my safe-haven.

Dr T

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 06:24:23 am »
Hello Juliarke. I am sorry to hear of your struggles to adapt to some of the changes resulting from your AN. I'd be glad to try to answer any questions that may be of help to you. Thank you for your interest in the book. It is just one man's journey--I'm sure everyone here has a unique one to share. It is largely a positive journey (after a very rocky post-op start) and to the extent someone finds it helpful, great. It certainly was "therapeutic" to write it. It will be shipping in June. I just received cover art and edits from the publisher (he toned down my language--guess I had a potty mouth at 29 which is when the book is set!) it can be ordered here now or at the site you can indicate your email to be contacted when it is ready to ship. Thank you: http://www.whitemansdisease.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html