Author Topic: Regrowth & Symptoms  (Read 3304 times)

brandi42

Regrowth & Symptoms
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:19:07 pm »
My 4cm AN and 4cm regrowth occurred in 2002 6 weeks apart. I had 2 craniotomies, VP shunt, and Gamma Knife to treat them. However, I was only 31 at the time so only partial resection was performed to preserve the health of the facial nerve. I have recently learned that there is a greater chance of regrowth with partial resections. This year I am 14 years post-op and have just been told that there has been a 4mm regrowth making my tumor remnant 1.1cm. The Dr says its growing very slowly however I have had crazy eye twitching, eye closing, and numerous falls this past year. Now all of this makes sense. So I suppose I am in the 'watch & wait' mode. I think I need to contact my primary doctor to tell him that he was incorrect in assuming that my being 14 years post-op would guarantee no regrowth!
My Neurosurgeon will be calling me within the week to touch base on how often we should monitor this.
I have to say I am a little speechless with this news :-X
Brandi : )
Brandi
4cm Right AN Craniotomy April 2002, right side deafness, 4cm AN regrowth 2nd Craniotomy Sept 2002, Gamma knife Nov 2002, 11mm tumor remnant remains currently.
Barrow Neurological Institute. Dr. Spetzler

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Regrowth & Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:02:31 am »
Hi Brandi .....

So, so sorry your AN remnant decided to grow again!  Life is just not fair sometimes!

As you already know regrowth after 14 years puts you in the "rare and unusual" category.  The vast majority of tumors that regrow usually do so within the first five years after treatment.  It is, indeed, rare for them to regrow after 10 years.  Obviously we all need to be diligent in following the recommendations for follow-up MRIs and not ignore significant changes in symptoms.

See my reply to your PM.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Patti

Re: Regrowth & Symptoms
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:05:48 am »
I had retro-sigmoid surgery 15 years ago for a 4 cm tumor.  All my follow-up MRIs have shown no regrowth-until this August!  I thought I was in the clear, too.  I am currently 3 months post SRS (stereotactic radio surgery) and due for my next MRI next week. I guess we are in a rare club!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015