Author Topic: 16 weeks Post Op - translab retrosigmoid  (Read 3148 times)

stcalico

16 weeks Post Op - translab retrosigmoid
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:03:21 pm »
Hi all.  I have not posted here before, but I did review a lot of posts before my surgery and appreciated some of the good news stories.  I thought I would post mine too in case it helps anyone. 

I'm 47 yr old female and had 3 cm tumor removed at the end of October in Vancouver B.C. by Dr. Akagami.  I'm doing pretty well and most people tell me that they can't even tell I went through surgery (even tho I can tell).

16 weeks later: Obviously, I'm deaf in my right ear and have some tinnitus.  Hate being deaf in one ear as it is a huge inconvenience and frustrating in social situations. Also I enjoy birding and now when I'm out I can't tell where the bird calls come from.. :(  - but it is what it is and I will deal.  I have some minor balance issues but far less than before surgery and am slowly improving - I can put my socks and pants on without leaning on the wall or dresser now.  lol.  I have one eye that does not tear as much as the other, but I seem to be fine without drops.  I still have a bit of fullness in the one ear and it bothers me a bit to lie on that side for very long.  I went back to work after 6 weeks, back to the gym after 8 weeks and back to doing Crossfit after 12 so generally I feel I'm doing pretty good considering. It could be worse.   

I posted up a blog entry for my family and friends right after my surgery (so I did not have to e-mail them all separately .. I was too tired to do that.).  So if anyone wants to read about my first week post-op experience, then feel free to read it here:  http://hospitalfun.tumblr.com/

Cheers all and my best wishes go out to you all. 

Tracie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 16 weeks Post Op - translab retrosigmoid
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:06:00 pm »
Hi Tracie and welcome to this forum .....

We love to read about the successful stories.  It gives us reassurance and hope!  Thank you for sharing your story.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ccooper

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:04:47 pm »
I appreciate the story. Mine is very similar. Nice to hear your progression of activity. I'm at week five and so eager to work out but my neck pain is still pretty bad.
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

Katerina

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:56:53 am »
Hello ni ce to hear you are doing well.

I had my surgery on 12 April but when I stopped the steroids (do not know if thats the cause) I started having facial nerve issues that didn't have before. Also my eye is behaving really strange and is very dry.

I don't know if you had such symptoms.

Katerina