Author Topic: Follow up once you are home from LA  (Read 3563 times)

gahanorama

Follow up once you are home from LA
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:27:51 pm »
Hi all,

I just joined this forum and my previous post has not shown up yet. I found out I had a smallish 1 cm AN in October. It is coming out of the IAC already. The doctors here in Austin wanted to do translab. I think that had they been able to do the surgery in December, I would have gone that route. However, they couldn't and that gave me some time to send the MRI to House. Obviously, going to House is a great option if you can work out the logistics. It happens that my insurance will cover it so the added expense of going to LA is just airfare and housing at Seton (both pretty reasonable).

My only worry is follow up care. I just talked to the office of the doctor here in Austin, Dr. Patrick Slater. I told them that I had decided on LA because the costs were about the same. I made sure to tell them that while I liked Dr. Slater, I felt going to a place that does so many made sense. I then asked if I could stay on as a patient for possible follow ups and/or hearing aids. The receptionist thought it would be fine but I then got a call back and she told me that Dr. Slater will not take patients that have been to House.

Is this normal? Could the people that have gone to House from elsewhere let me know how they went about getting follow up care? Do you just go to the ER?

Thanks so much
Kate

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Follow up once you are home from LA
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 03:06:33 pm »
Hi Kate and welcome to this forum .....

I do not know where your previous post is because it has not shown up in posts needing approval yet.  Maybe the Cyberspace gremlins got it!   ;D  Please submit it again, if possible.

Re: follow up care for House patients ..... I asked that very question before I went to House.  I was told that the follow-up was done through MRIs which are done locally and sent to House.  Further Dr. Friedman told me that if an issue is going to happen post-op, it usually happens within the first 10 days after surgery.  That is why they want you to stay in the area for 10 days post-op.  After stitch removal, there really is usually not a need for a face-to-face visit with your surgeon unless you have complications.  Dr. Friedman told me that in the unlikely event I needed help after returning home, he would put me in contact with a local doctor who would see me.  I did not need that.

As for a doctor refusing to see a patient who has gone to House ...... my initial reaction would be that an ego got in the way of a hippocratic oath.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

rupert

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:52:11 pm »
I don't think that is normal.   I had surgery scheduled with one surgeon and then canceled to go with  GK through a different surgeon.  I asked the original  surgeon his opinion and he said whatever I decided I would still be considered his patient if I ever needed anything.  Good to know. My local ENT also said that he would be happy to take care of any follow up problems like removing stitches, arranging MRI's or any other concern so I wouldn't have to travel hours away just for that.

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 05:04:44 am »

As for a doctor refusing to see a patient who has gone to House ...... my initial reaction would be that an ego got in the way of a hippocratic oath.

Clarice

Priceless!

Unfortunately, I heard about this exact situation occurring while attending my local ANA support group last October. Apparently, some doctors at the University of Michigan neurosurgery department will also refuse to treat you if you have had treatment anywhere else.

I was shocked to hear this as well.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

gahanorama

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:51 am »
Thanks y'all,

I am hoping that going to House will minimize the need for any after care but I do want my bases covered. I emailed Dr. Wilkinson and he said that in the unlikely event there are complications after I leave LA, they will find a doctor here.

"I do not know where your previous post is because it has not shown up in posts needing approval yet.  Maybe the Cyberspace gremlins got it!   ;D  Please submit it again, if possible."

My previous post is now sort of moot. We were thinking about taking the kids because it is spring break. I was going to fly back but I just wanted to see if it was possible to make a long drive after this surgery.

We already ditched that idea, found friends to take the kids and have tickets to LA.