Author Topic: My Experience with the UVA bug zapper  (Read 5369 times)

Blw

My Experience with the UVA bug zapper
« on: January 17, 2016, 02:36:39 pm »
I was diagnosed in August this year after a sudden onset of symptoms that greatly affected balance. There was also a hearing decrease that was worsened by allergies, and about two weeks later, some facial asymmetry that suggested facial nerve involvement. A round of steroids cleared most symptoms. The balance loss was striking as I felt like I had been at happy hour for 8 hours. It was almost impossible to go to work. After being diagnosed, the hard part started--deciding how to be treated and where. Being a professor at a medical school, I know how to use the literature (Pubmed) and eventually found this site, which is a must for anyone with these tumors. I wanted nothing to do with surgery and in fact, considering you will likely lose your hearing, and that it is major surgery, I'm surprised that radiation is not the standard of care. It's about a 6 hour treatment as an outpatient with very high success rate. Yes, it can fail, but then you havethe surgery, though it is a little more complicated then. However, my thinking was that who knows how advanced treament will be in 5-10 years.

I gradually identified all the best places, Stanford for Cyberknife and Pittsburgh for Gamma knife, and then started reading clinical studies. Getting multiple opinions, as this site suggests, is a must. I visited Stanford (they don't do the phone consult anymore apparently), and they were great. I sent images to Lunsford as well, he sent a standard letter back. I also met with a neurosurgeon just to touch all bases, and no one thought surgery was a good idea. As I read more, and after talking to my neurosurgeon, I thought gamma knife was the best route as you do not want to mess with the facial nerve (see other areas of this site), and gamma knife has great outcomes for facial nerve involvement. My surgeon had trained with Dr. Sheehan at UVA, so I figured I'd get a second opinion on gamma knife since I made up my mind I would have this method. I emailed Dr. Sheehan, and he emailed back right away. We corresponded for the next few weeks and he always responded promptly and thoroughly. He was trained by Lunsford and UVA was #6 in getting their instrument in the US, so I decided on Sheehan. He is an MD-PhD, and like Lunsford, publishes often on AN's. UVA, like a number of places also has an active acoustic neuroma group, so I was confident they would be good. Interestingly, I had a bunch of doctors at UVA and they were all MD-PhD's, quite an impressive program.

The UVA staff were excellent and shaved a day off my visit. I flew in Tuesday night, had an MRI the next day (large bore 3 Tesla, with the automatic contrast injector, so you don't come out), and procedure the day after. We reviewed the tumor, which was on the small side, of around 1.6 cm, and the calculated treatment was 33 minutes--about 10 songs on Pandora. The headframe gets put on like a pit stop at Indy--I had 5 people, and they were done in about 3 minutes. I was awake the whole time and remember everything. Probably a little to light on the anesthesia. In fact, the frame was quite uncomfortable. They think one of the pins was near a blood vessel, which draws away the local faster, so it actually hurt, even with an extra shot of fentnyl. But I got through it fine. When they took the frame off, if felt like the rush of endorphins right after setting a broken arm. Lots of cringing. However, day 2 post treatment, I have yet to take a tylenol and have no pain killer prescription. Going through this site, I know what to expect in the coming months and now will just be waiting it out until my next MRI.

rupert

Re: My Experience with the UVA bug zapper
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 07:27:14 pm »
Glad to hear it went so well.  The auto contrast injector would be a nice feature.  I'm going for my 6 year GK follow up this week and I'll bring that up to them.

Blw

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 05:13:57 pm »
Yeah, you don't even know when it happens. On the otherhand, 30 mins staright in an MRI might be a lot for people who are claustrophobic. The larger bore helps some, but I opened my eyes on the way out and it is still pretty cramped in there. I think the open MRIs don't have has good details, so that would be something that could use some improvement. I also noticed that I went pretty far in for the GK. Had my eyes shut for that too. :-[
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:14:17 pm by Blw »

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:56:46 am »
It's comforting hearing from an educated professor at a medical school who chose radiation over surgery. It makes the decision process for people considering radiation who are on-the-fence a little easier. Plus, I usually spend 45-minutes in my local "open" MRI machine. I'm interested in why you would have chosen Cyber Knife over Gamma Knife if your facial nerve would have been in a more favorable position?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:58:48 am by mcrue »
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

Blw

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:05:18 am »
I liked the concept of Cyber knife--the radiation source moves, and I was set on that initially. I think there may not be as much collateral damage and perhaps better hearing preservation with CK. With GK, it is 65% at 5 years and 50% at 10 years, and could actually be worse depending on tumor size and location. The headframe is a very minor issue, but all things being equal, not a bad thing to avoid, particularly in my case as it was way more uncomfortable than I anticipated. However, tumor size plays a part in the outcome. In short, Dr. Lunsford said that the absolute best outcomes for facial nerve involvement were with GK, which is correct based on the literature. I think I would be inclined to take more damage just to avoid surgery no matter what type of tumor. That is just such a major event, and the radiation is so minor, that it seems like the natural choice.

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 06:39:36 am »
Thank you Blw.

I was also leaning towards CK at first because of the "better" hearing preservation rates and less radiation in one hit.

I agree that traditional microsurgery is a major event, and the thought can be frightening.

In regards to the 3 microsurgery methods of Retrosigmoid approach, Translab approach, Middle Fossa approach, and also including the various radiation methods such as Gamma Knife, Cyber Knife, Proton Beam,  or other radiation.... as well as Watch & Wait approach.  I think regardless of the treatment one selects, the chances of my Tinnitus increasing in perceived volume after treatment is about the same?

Am i WRONG?

Blw

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:10:26 pm »
I think the rule of thumb with what is associated with ANs regarding symptoms is that every patient is unique. I have not had any tinnitus to speak of, however some people have it bad. In my case, the most striking thing was how fast the symptoms came--over night. I also had unbearable pain behind my jaw. I just spoke to my nurse today and the thing about these tumors is that they can originate on any one of those nerves, and then grow any direction. They also can be amorphous, with odd shapes. So I'm not sure if there are any hard and fast rules. I got the dimensions on mine today, 1.1mm x 4.5mm x 4 mm. So I think that is somewhat smallish, which tend to have even better radiation outcomes, so I am quite comfortable I took the right path.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 03:18:59 pm »
You are absolutely correct that every AN patient is unique when it comes to growth and progression of symptoms.  However, an acoustic neuroma (more appropriately called a vestibular schwannoma) arises from the 8th cranial nerve so most symptoms are consistent with balance and hearing issues.  See: https://www.anausa.org/overview/what-is-acoustic-neuroma

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 04:53:41 am »

From my research, it appears that a significant number of patients who undergo radiation treatment experience an increase in their tinnitus, especially if their tumor ends up swelling two-to-three months post-treatment and/or when their hearing declines.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:13:18 am by mcrue »

Echo

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 06:49:21 pm »
Mcrue - I don't want to hijack this thread but thought I'd post a quick note regarding tinnitus.  I have it mildly in my AN ear.  I experienced several issues post Gamma Knife during the time the AN swelled (search my posts for details), but increased tinnitus never happened. 

Blw - Congrats on getting through your Gamma Knife treatment!  I found it a huge relief to have it behind me, hopefully you will feel the same way.  I had a similar experience to you with the head frame.  Two neurosurgeons attached mine.  They injected the anesthetic prior to placing it on my head,  however the anesthetic actually wore off on one of the pin sites.  I noticed the one pin site feeling a bit tender as I went into the Gamma machine and by the time I got out it was pretty sore.  The nurse was quick to give me some pain meds and everything was fine within an hour. 

My first 3 months post GK were uneventful.  The next 6-9 months had their challenges.  Coming up to 3 years this September and couldn't be better!  Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Blw

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 11:18:46 am »
Thanks Cathie. I think we had the same head frame issue. I am just getting full feeling in the back of my head. After I got the extra fentanyl, it really didn't help, so I just toughed it out. But I'll never forget counting those ten songs on Pandora. So far, I wouldn't even know I was treated outside of the local scalp issues. Waiting for that 3-6 month window when things start acting up. I have yet to take a tylenol so I am hoping maybe I never have any side effects. The final size of my AN was 1.1 cm so I am glad it was on the small side.

kentcorbin

• Kent Corbin's Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 03:51:14 pm »
I can relate to the head frame woes. When I asked later why one of the pins was so painful despite extra local anesthetic, one of the nurses said I must have gotten "unlucky." Sometimes one of those pins lands directly on a cutaneous nerve. When they sunk that last pin I almost jumped off the table! (I didn't, but I wish later that I had spoken up. I probably could have been made considerably more comfortable.) It took a good three months for feeling in the back of my scalp to return completely.
32 Years Old, Diagnosed March 2015. 12x5 mm right-sided AN. Diagnosed via MRI. Treated at Cleveland Clinic 9-21-15 via Gamma Knife. So far so good!

Blw

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 02:44:29 pm »
I think I am a month out and am just getting the full feeling. I agree on the nerve hit. I just had the feeling that anymore anesthetic wasn't going to help much. What a relief when they unscrewed it.