General Category > AN Issues

Surgery on a Friday?

(1/1)

JimGagnepain:
I was just scheduled for surgery.  They gave me a Friday date.  This sounds kind of strange.  Seems like there won't be much follow-up.  Also, I'm concerned about the enthusiasm level, when the surgical team just wants to leave for the weekend.  I'm still waiting to hear from other surgical facilities, so this isn't firm.

Has anybody else had a Friday AN surgery?

Cheryl R:
A hospital big enough to do ANs will have the weekend covered for care for all weekend.    Iowa City does surgeries on Thurs and Fri.    Many nurses may be weekend package nurses so they work every weekend and know the usual post op routine.     There will be a dr and probably will be the Fellow there and some residents.       Sometimes a weekend can be better as there aren't as much other surgeries going on and may be less busy.          I say may as the patients there still will be getting what ever they need if an test or procedure is needed.              I am a now retired nurse and was just at a smaller hospital where we worked every 3rd weekend.        Some weekends were quiet and others not.          I iwsh you well where ever you go.                   Cheryl R

Troutbc:
I had my surgery on a Friday and was concerned about the same thing!

Not to worry, though, surgeons work on the weekends believe it or not! They will definitely check on you on Saturday, and their fellows may check on you on Sunday, but the surgeons are always on call. By no means does this mean there wont be follow up.

Although AN surgery is arguably becoming a "routine" surgery, this is still a very very long and big surgery. I was surrounded by doctors in nurses in the 2-3 days following surgery. After-care is their job.  Not once did I wish for a bigger presence of my surgeons. They'll check on you, but you'll be well cared for, don't worry about it!

JimGagnepain:
Thanks for this helpful information.

Kerrybr92:
I had surgery on a Friday as well. Depending on how big the hospital is you will most likely have resident doctors following you over the weekend. The on call neurosurgeon will also stop in to see you. After the surgery your new best friends will be the nurses.  They really do most of the followup care along with the residents.

Don't worry about it being a Friday.  They are professionals. And they are used to performing surgeries all week and on weekends if need be. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version