General Category > AN Issues

Outer ear cartilage painful

(1/2) > >>

pmcollings:
Hi everyone .  It's been awhile.  I'm 3 years post op this month.  Learning to live with my new normal and I am having progress but I have a new development-  I actually it's been in the works for awhile.  The outer part of my ear - the cartilage part hurts.  I can't lay on that side because of my plate, which I've come to accept but this is something different.  It's not the canal it's the big dumbo ear part lol.  Anyone else having this problem ?  I think what might be going on is my plate shifted and there is a very sharp edge that my ear rests up against.  I think I have some kind of rubbing action going on or maybe a broken ear - I don't know.  lol !!  It looks the same as my other ear but redder and it hurts.  Any thoughts ?   I am going to my regular dr on Monday.  I haven't found a new neurologist since I moved from Austin, Texas to Houston.  Guess it's time. 
BTW-  this group saved me when I was first diagnosed and after.  Thank you all who helped me on my journey.  It means so much than you will ever know !  xoxo Pam

Doc:
I had the same thing that came and went. It was on the AN side only, also behind what you so aptly refer to as the ‘dumbo’ part of the ear - lol. I never did figure it out, and never inquired either.

Anyway, with all the ‘lol’ you’re doing, I’d say if this is the worst of what pains you, you’re doing great.

Take Care ;)

Doc

pmcollings:
Doc , thanks for the reply !  Yes I was laughing at my dumbo statements.  Sometimes you just have to laugh no matter how you are feeling or what the circumstances !!!!  have  a great weekend !

Doc:
Cheers!  :D

InnerGrace:
I know it has been awhile since this topic has been discussed.  But I was searching for anyone that may have a similar sensation as me... and this sounds familiar as to what I am experiencing.  So in hopes that one of you are still around... :D..... I am 6 months post op and I also have a sharp ear pain, in the same location as described.  I guess I describe it as the cartilage area where the ear attaches to the head...lol  It comes and goes as well.   Like, I'll go a month or two without having that sensation and then it'll creep back in.  Sometimes it's just a dull throb but other times I will get sharp aches.  I can feel it intensify when I tilt my head back, as when I am looking up.  I am assuming it is just part of the healing process as I had asked my neurosurgeon at my last visit in September and he stated that it was just healing but didn't explain what it could be.  Scar tissue?  The nerves firing up?  I don't know.  But I'm glad I'm not alone and was wondering if either of you are still experiencing this sensation?  Also, not all the time, but when I am in not such a deep state of sleep, I hear a "buzzing, zinging" noise in my ear.. as if a huge wasp is buzzing by...it almost sounds electrical.  It usually happens the same time I am feeling this sensation.... Kinda strange.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version