Author Topic: Eye Droop  (Read 11430 times)

Cindy-Lou

Eye Droop
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:26:52 pm »
How did you improve your drooping eye ?? I am starting to encounter that and having gamma in 2 months.  Any advice ? 

jaqiday

Re: Eye Droop
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 10:34:51 am »
My eye droop was caused by a paralyzed facial nerve from surgery. It took 7 months to start recovering. I didn't have gamma so not sure about that.  I assume your is drooping from partial damage or pressure to the nerve.

I saw a neuro opthamologist and was going to have surgery to tighten the eyelid if nothing changed after 6 months. So far doesn't seem to be needed. If you are experiencing any dry eye, consider getting a scleral lens. A lifesaver for me.

Some things get worse before they get better when recovering from an.
Right AN 3.2cm 2-27-15
Retrosigmoid 3-9-15 6 hours
Facial nerve paralysis, dry eye, balance problems
Finding a new normal...

Kerrybr92

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:11:53 am »
I did receive a platinum weight in my eyelid but I also had a very small surgery to lift my lower lid.  By pulling it up it made my eye look more symmetrical.

I have had the PROSE scleral lens since 2012 and love it.  Definitely something to consider.
Right AN 2.5cm
11/11/11 retrosigmoid surgery Drs. Barker and Mckenna MGH 16 hours
Right SSD, Right sclerel lens from Boston Foundation for Sight
Some facial weakness

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:57:15 am »
It was a simple matter of time for me...a good bit of it too. I’m remember a therapist telling me a long time ago, if I ever felt a twitch, I should do something with it to keep the movement going.

Patience!

Take Care ;)

Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 07:48:01 pm »
Having a Canthal lateral sling is what finally worked - it's better than just a 'sling' - I haven't needed any further surgery to keep the skin from drooping.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

THBKS

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:38:53 pm »
Hello,
This is my first post so not sure if I'm posting in the right place. I wanted to join after reading several posts.
I'm amazed at what I've learned reading the posts, I seem to learn something no matter what the posts are about.

My AN surgery was so long ago that I adapted to my problems and they became a way of life.
Have always had eye problems since surgery but was able to deal with them until recently.
I've been having a lot of eye trouble that I cant seem to get over, so I went to eye Dr. for the first time since surgery.
He wants to do lower lift and gold weight. Back when I had surgery I don't think this was an option or at least
I had not heard of it.
Not sure how but I've lasted 34 years just putting tear drops in eye.

Before surgery headaches that would last for days,
ear problems, balance, dizzy

My AN surgery was Sept. 1981, I was 22 years old
Paralysis left facial nerve, complete
inability to completely close left eye lid
Complete hearing loss left ear
Balance, Dizzy

Thanks
Diagnosed: Aug. 1981, AN 3 cm
headaches, dizzy
surgery: Sep. 1981, Age:22, BMC Texas
Dizzy, Deaf left side, Left facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:12:57 pm »
hi THBKS:  like I wrote , the only surgery that stopped the lower lid droop for me was the canthal lateral sling, it worked for my total facial paralysis.  See if you can find a surgeon to perform this surgery - I used an oculoplastic surgeon.  It seems there's some 'hardware' involved to really keep the lower lid from drooping.  Best wishes
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

THBKS

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 08:04:11 pm »
thanks nancyann
I'm not sure of some of the medical terms related to an.
It's been 34 years for me and I seem to have learned more the last few days reading these posts
than the whole 34 years.

so when I found this forum and researched the terms being used on the posts it has
educated me.

I did mention to the Dr. about the whole left side drooping, he did say I might want to consider
a sling later. I cant breath on left side caused by droop.
I think he said a mid lift.

right now I guess its mostly dry eye. I should have checked into things years ago to see what was available,
I had no idea about the different ways of what could be done.
thanks again to everyone
headaches, dizzy

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 06:24:36 pm »
hi THBKS:  I can't believe you've dealt with facial paralysis for 35 years without surgeries to help with all the issues - you are one strong person.  I was so miserable with the paralysis.  I had the T3 surgery (Temporalis Tendon Transfer) by Dr. Patrick Byrne at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore Maryland, 1 year after the AN surgery - one of the best things I did for myself.  When I bite down I get a 'mona lisa' smile, & no more droop!  The other best thing I got was the scleral lens (found out about it 3 years ago), Dr. Ken Maller in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (the best for contact lenses!).  I don't have to use lubricant in my eye during the day at all (& LOVE the wind in my face now!), I only use lubricant when I take out the lens at night, then put on the NITEYE bubble to provide moisture & protect my cornea.  Wishing you all the best on your journey. Always good thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:31:33 pm by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

THBKS

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 08:59:18 pm »
nancyann,
This is the first forum I've been on, having a hard time figuring out exactly how to use but
I have read dozens and dozens of posts on all subjects and I learn so much and also keep thinking these people are like me.
It helps a lot.
Thanks for calling me strong but I think it was more stubborn, scared and not informed.
I was in the service at the time, I went to Dr , next day back to Dr and was put in hospital that day.

Stayed in hospital about a month before surgery. Army is slow.
After surgery they did want to sew eye completely shut, I refused, they said I would have to later if I didn't do it then.
They mentioned hypolossal anastomos I refused.
I just wanted to go home.

stayed in hospital abt 11 days after surgery. was told to use tearsol drops in eye, went home for awhile then went back to be processed out of army. I guess if I had surgery in home town I would have gone back for follow ups.

abt 15 years after surgery I did go to a Dr. about being dizzy because it seemed worse than usual. I took medication a couple weeks and quit.

So for 34 years I've used tear drops, had eye problems dust wind etc but seem to deal with it alright.

About month ago was having trouble with eye, I'm guessing dry eye that wasn't going away, last couple weeks Iv'e been using my regular eye drops,  gel drops and ointment for the first time, so I go to eye Dr. for first time he sees me twice sends me to another Dr. who wants to put gold weight and tighten lower lid.
I did find my surgery records from 81 it mentions fragments of tissue and then brain stem acoustic neuroma 3 cm in diameter
vii nerve viii nerve sectioned.
sorry I went on and on but you have to understand after 34 years I have found people that understand and can help me.

thanks

headaches, dizzy

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 06:10:25 am »
hi THBKS:  I'm stubborn too - I also refused the 7/12 nerve jump surgery, mainly because I was afraid to have anyone operate on my nerves again.  I do have a platinum weight in the upper lid (I had an allergic reaction to the gold one).  Whatever surgeries you decide to have to help with the paralysis, go for it - oculoplastic surgeons specialize in this area & things have changed alot from 34 years ago!
I do suggest the T3 surgery, like I said, Dr. Patric Byrne at Johns Hopkins is a wonderful, down to earth guy & excellent surgeon. It really boosted my confidence, people don't stare as much since the T3, my face appears more symmetrical (until I open my mouth to talk (lol).
So glad you found this site.  I was lucky to find it a few months after my AN surgery.  Always good thoughts, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Penbury

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 03:40:41 am »
My eye droop was caused by a paralyzed facial nerve from surgery. It took 7 months to start recovering. I didn't have gamma so not sure about that.  I assume your is drooping from partial damage or pressure to the nerve.

I saw a neuro opthamologist and was going to have surgery to tighten the eyelid if nothing changed after 6 months. So far doesn't seem to be needed. If you are experiencing any dry eye, consider getting a scleral lens. A lifesaver for me.

Some things get worse before they get better when recovering from an.

So what happened after 7 months. Did you wake up one morning and suddenly it was ok or did it happen over a couple of weeks. It's encouraging to hear that I can recover my eye droop but 7 months is a long time.
So many people benefit from PhenQ and you would too.

jaqiday

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 01:56:46 pm »
At 7 mos it got markedly better in appearance. It has slowly improved since.  You will probably not wake up one day and be back to where you were before surgery. Nerves heal slowly.  I am now at 1 year post op and I look almost normal but still have dry eye, my eye almost closes if i concentrate on it. My mouth still has a way to go but is better, my numb tongue is almost gone. 

All you can do is give it time and be patient. Difficult i know
Right AN 3.2cm 2-27-15
Retrosigmoid 3-9-15 6 hours
Facial nerve paralysis, dry eye, balance problems
Finding a new normal...

Rhcdad

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 06:57:54 am »
Thanks for all your posts. I am a little over 5 months with left side facial issues, cannot blink eye and lower lid droop, since Translab surgery. Use gel drops during day and night and tape it shut. Trying to be calm, still doing some facial massage, no excersises yet. Waiting 6 months to start. Hoping things will get better with time. Thanks for posting, so helpful to someone like myself.

Translab- 10/27/15
2.54 cm tumor
TransLab @ House Clinic
Surgery 10/27/15
Numerous Post Surgery Issues

Trudie

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 03:54:23 pm »
Hello, I've read some useful info on this board just since I joined yesterday.  My 40 year old son have a tumor connected to his facial nerve.  Right side facial paralysis occurred after his surgery three weeks ago.  A nerve graft was performed.  His doctor says he will need a weight in his eye lid.  Says this can be removed if movement returns.  The doctors also recommend a procedure to switch the corner of his eye in order to keep it from drooping.  The surgeon mentioned drilling into some bone.  Can this procedure also be reversed when movement returns?  I just don't understand about the procedure to keep the eye from moving.