Author Topic: Scelera Lens (bad reviews)  (Read 7527 times)

Jenn K

Scelera Lens (bad reviews)
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:29:19 am »
Hello,
  I am going on my 7th year as a survivor tomorrow 9/24.
  I am tired dealing with the eye. I have thoughts about the lens after someone told me about it. I guess I would like to know WHY I WOULD NOT qualify for it.

My eye history:
Gold weight in
Gold weight out
Entropion/Ectropion
Entropion/Ectropion (first one failed)
tarsorrhaphy
partial ablation of eye lashes

was using drops for a while and now back to the  B&L Soothe ointment.
Also wear a "moisture chamber" patch at night.

Thanks!!
Jenn K

DX 7-26-08
9-24-08 Translab
SSD Left
Left side weakness
4-16-10 Nerve Graft
Several Eye Lid surgies

Kerrybr92

Re: Scelera Lens (bad reviews)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:19:48 pm »
I guess my first question is who said you are not a good candidate for it?  If it happens to be just a local eye doctor who may not have a lot of experience I would seek out another opinion.  If you are near to a large university hospital please look into an affiliation with the Boston Foundation for Sight.  They work wonders not just for AN patients but for many with dry eye issues.

I have a platinum weight in my eye.  It did make the fitting process more difficult but we were successful in the end.  But that is not your problem. You do need to get your eye open enough to receive the very large lens.  I am not sure if your tarsorrhapy prevents that.

I also used many tubes of ointment prior to receiving the lens so that should not be it.

I hope you are able to look into it further.  If you get the same answer again I am sure you would like to know why.

Good luck. 
Right AN 2.5cm
11/11/11 retrosigmoid surgery Drs. Barker and Mckenna MGH 16 hours
Right SSD, Right sclerel lens from Boston Foundation for Sight
Some facial weakness

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:17:19 pm »
Jenn - Have you been denied by your insurance company? Has an Ophthalmologist said we’re not a good candidate? It’s unclear from your comment why you say you’re not a good candidate.

I actually got word today that Tricare will cover my Scleral Lens 100%. Should take delivery in two to three weeks. Hope you get yours going soon. I’m six years post-op and understand very well what you’re dealing with.

Good Luck!

Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Jenn K

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 10:17:42 pm »
No one told I couldn't as of yet. I am going to try to get a consult. I guess where I think I have severe dry eye it would prevent me from getting it. Now I have eyebrow hairs that fall if my eye and irritates it bad. Won't this lens irritate it too? Just does not seem that giving up the stupid ointment, won't be an option.
Jenn K

DX 7-26-08
9-24-08 Translab
SSD Left
Left side weakness
4-16-10 Nerve Graft
Several Eye Lid surgies

Doc

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:13:07 am »
Jenn,

Follow this link and read the info about the Lens - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scleral_lens
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Kerrybr92

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:13:41 am »
No you have it all wrong which is good news for you :). The scleral lens is perfect for dry eyes.  It is a very large hard contact lens that you fill with saline before you insert it.  Once inserted the saline bathes your cornea all day.  And if your eyebrow hairs fall they will fall on top of the lens and it will not be bothering your cornea.

I promise the day you give up the ointment will be one of your happiest days.  You will be able to see again clearly out of that eye and it will not hurt.  For me getting the fit was hard and I wanted to give up a couple of times and just stick with what I knew.  I am so glad I did not.  To say the lens change my post surgery life is absolutely accurate.

I am glad you are going to get a consult.
Right AN 2.5cm
11/11/11 retrosigmoid surgery Drs. Barker and Mckenna MGH 16 hours
Right SSD, Right sclerel lens from Boston Foundation for Sight
Some facial weakness

Doc

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:50:04 am »
Kerry is right. Just wearing the test fit lens for the short time I did to get the process started was an amazing feeling!

Jill Marie

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 08:37:36 pm »
Jenn K,

I know how you feel.  I've been dealing with the dry eye for 23 years now.  Eye doctor after eye doctor told me they couldn't help me and I wasn't a candidate for a contact lens because I had no tears.  In desperation 3 years ago I went to my doctor, he told me to contact but not make an appointment with a doctor that specialized in lenses for problem eyes.  He said she probably couldn't help me but we had to try.  She did help me, she had no doubt I could use the lens, she was right.  Best Christmas present ever, got the lens 2 weeks before Christmas 3 years ago and love it.  Please do everything you can to get one.  We are all different so don't get disappointed if things don't go exactly like another poster.  I still use ointment with the lens, but not like I use to.  I'm not sure but I think I'm the only one that uses the ointment with the lens everyone else I know just uses the lens and drops. 

Please let us know how the lens search goes, Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

elsie

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 08:49:43 pm »
Chiming in late here.

After suffering with my dry eye since 1988, I finally got real and sustained relief with soft contacts, Jill Marie and I have been on this journey together.  Two months ago I got my first eye glass prescription, which prompted me to explore Sclerel lenses.  I found out that they are a great solution, but there are two steps before:  a new type of soft contact lens made specifically for dry eye, an intermediate hard lens that is smaller than a sceral that is probably made for people like me - small eyes with a tarrsohaphy, and the scleral.  There are a few types of the soft lens- I have now tried two.  I got complete relif and don't think that I will have to go to another lens at this point to find comfort.

Please go to a PROSE certified center, mine was the U of Illinos-Chicago.  They know dry eye and will find the apprpriate solution for you.  Please remember that what works for me, may not work for you.
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 07:44:25 pm »
my doctor had to go before a board of 5 docs (telephonically) from my insurance co (Av Med) to justify my needing a scleral lens: facial paralysis, severe dry eye, etc.  they finally agreed this is medically necessary & allowed the 'insurance amount' of approx. $300.  big f-in deal. the lens cost over  1k, but at least they approved the medical necessity.  Thank God for Dr. Kenneth Mahler in Ft. Lauderdale for goint to bat for me!  I've had the scleral lens since 2013 & am so happy with it.  Even if Av Med didn't pay for it - the $ was worth it.  I no longer have to put lubricant in my eye every 1-2 hours!  I thank God for Dr. Mahler!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis