Author Topic: AN Monitoring after radiation 10 years ago  (Read 3696 times)

hoosiergirl

AN Monitoring after radiation 10 years ago
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:25:18 pm »
Hi everyone! This is my first post here.  I was diagnosed and treated for an AN almost 10 years ago.  It shrunk the AN tumor and I went back the next year for him to monitor.  I was supposed to go back at intervals and have it checked again, but have not.
Basically, because I have a very bad phobia about MRIs.  I have also had stage 4 endometrial cancer that ved to both my lungs so i have been fighting that, as well, so it was pushed to the back of my mind. But I have been reading about how important it is to go back and let them see how it is progressing, and I know it is important for me to go in and have that MRI so he can see for himself, but it is so hard to make that appt knowing I will be in that MRi for 40 minutes. It's actually been easier for me to deal with cancer that has spread and taking chemo the last 8 years to keep it batted back, than to have that MRI. I know, it sounds silly, but it is a fact.  I am not even sure why I am posting here. I'm sure most of you will think I am being silly. I know it does not make sense, but I can't seem to help it.

rupert

Re: AN Monitoring after radiation 10 years ago
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 06:17:50 pm »
Lots of people have phobia about things,  and nobody really likes the MRI machine.   If you really think it's a good idea to have it done then you should.  Just tell the doctor about your extreme phobia and he/she will give instructions to the radiologists at the MRI center.  All you have to do is show up. They will put you out and you won't remember a thing.  As a side note, at 10 years out if everything is looking good they will probably tell you that's it on the MRI's. Over and done with.

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »
As you are being checked for regrowth it should be possible to use an Open MRI..

Here is a photo of a sit up version...

http://www.uprightmri.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Upright-Open-MRI-Claustrophobia.jpg

and a lying down version

http://www.keulenkliniek.nl/IManager/Image/506/23764/40642/161868/0/1/0/EN/big_open-mri-scanner-wristmri-3.png
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

hoosiergirl

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:16:23 pm »
Thank you both for your replies. And the photos of the open MRIs were amazing.