Author Topic: Decision has been made. Middle Fossa scheduled for Sept 22 at Keck/USC  (Read 4585 times)

ANnIdaho

After months and months of researching,being on the W&W list without knowing it, and consulting with radio surgeons and neurosurgeons alike I've finally made the choice to go with Middle Fossa surgery to remove my AN in hopes of preserving my hearing which is still quite good. I realize there are no guarantees but I feel it is worth it.  If my AN had not been giving me such annoying symptoms that keep me from living my life the way I would like, I would probably wait longer and risk losing my hearing.  Working a full day brings on the smacky head and the facial symptoms that don't hurt but annoy me to no end such as the sense that my check is defrosting from a cold winter day, tip of my nose is numb, sometimes the tip of my tonque and my right eye goes from over dry to tearing on it's own.  My blood pressure has sky rocketed cuz I can't stop thinking out this little bugger in my head.  It's time for "Schwammy" to come out.

I realize that recovery is going to be hard but I want to do it while I have excellent insurance that allows me to have my surgery done at Keck/USC with Dr Friedman and Dr. Giannotta.  I hope in a year I will be able to forget this time in my life every happened rather than wondering if it's growing...etc. etc. as my daughter will be getting married and my son graduation HS and heading off to college.

I thank all the wonderful people on this forum who have been so helpful and open in answering all my questions and sharing with me their personal insight and experiences.  It's hard to talk about this AN with non AN-folk as they usually don't get it.  I wish all of you the best of luck on your own personal journey.

Bonnie
3/3/2015 MRI 9.2mm x 5.4mm AN discovered
Removed Middle Fossa 9/22/2015 by Dr. Friedman Keck Medcial Center. Hearing preserved! Doing great.  If you'd like more details as to surgery/recovery feel free to visit my caringbridge.org website @ http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sayonaraschwammy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Decision has been made. Middle Fossa scheduled for Sept 22 at Keck/USC
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:41:14 pm »
Bonnie -

congratulations on making your treatment decision.  Not an easy task.

Good luck with your surgery!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ANnIdaho

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:35:32 pm »
Thanks Jan!
Removed Middle Fossa 9/22/2015 by Dr. Friedman Keck Medcial Center. Hearing preserved! Doing great.  If you'd like more details as to surgery/recovery feel free to visit my caringbridge.org website @ http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sayonaraschwammy

RetroBoy

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:50:59 am »
Hi Bonnie, that's great news. You've been in touch with my wife JaneMD (not an MD) about Keck/USC. We've scheduled mine for 11/3 at Keck with Drs. Friedman and Giannotta. They have recommended a retro-sigmoid approach. I'm not 100% sold on retro-sigmoid but, not being a neurotologist or a neurosurgeon, I'm not sure how much my opinion counts.  In any case, best of luck on all this. Keep in touch and let us know how things go.

Josh
Diagnosed 2005. Watched and waited until Nov 2015 when 1.6cm removed at Keck. Hearing lost but no other issues.

ANnIdaho

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 03:06:53 pm »
Hi Josh,

I just heard back from another patient who just under went the retro-sigmoid approach at Keck, Aug 19th.  I gave her Jane's email and she will most likely get in touch soon and can share her experience with you in regards to surgery and staying in LA.  I know that the surgical approach matters on the location and size of our tumors.  Thank you for the wish of luck and I wish the same for you in November! 

Thanks,

Bonnie

michellef08

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:14:43 pm »
Bonnie -
Making the decision is the hardest part! :) I had my "tumie" removed 2.5 years ago with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House, and it is the best decision I have ever made! Good luck!!
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

ANnIdaho

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 06:37:22 pm »
Thank you Michelle.