Author Topic: Post Op Scuba Diving  (Read 3756 times)

Seahorse

Post Op Scuba Diving
« on: August 22, 2015, 04:42:41 am »
I have just been diagnosed with a 2.5cm AN.  I am enjoying my retirement by going on lots of wonderful scuba holidays.  Now I am terrified by my diagnosis, not only by having the surgery but also that it may ruin my chances of diving again.

Has anybody had their AN removed and been able to continue Scuba?  If so, please let me know how yours was removed and your experiences.  Thank you.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

PaulW

Re: Post Op Scuba Diving
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 03:25:57 pm »
It's definitely a question for the doctors...
If you are in watch and wait or have had radiation you will need a medical clearance..
If your balance is OK then there is no reason I know of that prevents diving.

With the operation the answer as I understand it gets more complicated. People that have Translab surgery have the entire inner ear and balance organ removed. To get to the tumour the Dura is cut. (That's the membrane that surrounds the brain and keeps the brain fluid in.)
When they are finished fat is used to help seal the dura again. The Eustachian tube is also blocked...
Doctors are concerned I believe with change in pressure that the repair will fail, and you will get a brain fluid leak.  You will need to ask your surgeon.. Because how the perform the surgery, the dura repair, and deal with the Eustachian tube is important..
I believe if you have middle cranial fossa or retrosigmoid approaches your Eustachian tube remains in tact... If your hearing and facial nerve are damaged you may not be able to sense whether you have cleared your ears or not and may risk a burst ear drum...  So I don't think there is a short answer.. You will need to talk to the surgeon...or if your tumour is smaller than 3.0cm choose radiation
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

GaryWNT

• Ready for 1st MRI post CK . . .
Re: Post Op Scuba Diving
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 12:11:34 am »
Seahorse, I can relate to your reaction to the diagnosis. I think any of us who are leading active lives and hear this diagnosis are shocked. I know I was . . . and am. Our AN's are about the same size from what you posted. As we're both retired, we may be of a similar age. I'm wondering what your symptoms are and what your doctors have recommended. If you don't wish to comment publicly, maybe a PM. Or, for that matter, if you'd rather not comment at all, that's understandable. I'm not a diver, but I ride motorcycles regularly and cherish my balance!
GaryWNT
Sudden hearing loss in left ear 02/15
MRI 07/15 showed 2.5cm AN
CK at Stanford (3 days) 11/16
No change in symptoms (Mild tinnitus, mild balance issues, moderate hearing loss)
1st follow up MRI coming 04/16
some evidence of central necrosis on the treated left acoustic neuroma 05/10/2016