General Category > AN Issues

Need MRI for diagnosis but allergic to gadolinium

(1/3) > >>

farmgirl:
Hi Folks,

I may be joining your ranks.  Not sure yet.  I'm scheduled to have an MRI on Monday to confirm suspicion of AN but I've had a reaction to gadolinium in the past. (rash on arms and legs 24 hours after exposure, resolved with benadryl) 

I'm wondering how someone like me can go through diagnosis, treatment and follow up without contrast?  It seems as though imaging is extremely important with this condition.

- If I can't have gadolinium can I still be treated with radiation rather than open skull surgery?

- Are there more accurate MRI machines or setting protocols that might improve images without contrast?

- How do you get access the radiologist to ask questions when the only lines of communication seem to be between him and the otologist?

Thanks,

Farmgirl 

arizonajack:
MRIs can be done without contrast with some success but contrast is the best way.

There are alternatives to Gadolinium. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRI_contrast_agent#Gadolinium

You can still have radiation treatment in spite of a Gadolinium allergy because the radiation treatment, Gamma Knife for example, uses Cobalt 60 to kill the tumor.  See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiosurgery#Gamma_Knife

As for reaching your radiologist, I have no clue.

farmgirl:
Thanks!

I understand that GK and CK don't use gadolinium. 

My question is, since GK and CK require very accurate images of the tumor, will they be able to get the information needed without the superior quality of MRI w contrast to place and dose the radiation correctly.

ppearl214:
Hi Farmgirl and welcome.

I had CK over 9 years ago. Please know that they utilize MRI guidance while doing the radiation treatment.  They did the MRI immediately prior to my treatment and used it to hone in on my little bugger.  Over 9 years later, it worked.

I hope this helps... and again, welcome!
Phyl

arizonajack:

--- Quote from: farmgirl on August 13, 2015, 10:22:53 pm ---Thanks!

I understand that GK and CK don't use gadolinium. 

My question is, since GK and CK require very accurate images of the tumor, will they be able to get the information needed without the superior quality of MRI w contrast to place and dose the radiation correctly.

--- End quote ---

Forgot about that. Yes, they use the contrast during the procedure.

Talk to your doctor about possible alternatives to gadolinium.

If alternative contrast isn't practical a 24 hour rash is small price to pay for effective treatment without invasive surgery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version