General Category > AN Issues

Newly Diagnosed and Overwhelmed

(1/6) > >>

Pattib:
Hello everyone,  I have recently been diagnosed with a lft sided acoustic Schwannoma and am feeling over whelmed with everything that I have been reading about this.  On June  26th, my ENT gave me the news.  He was unable to give me a size or location but provided a name of a neur otologist in Knoxville for me to see.  In trying to make an appointment, I found that the earliest I would be able to meet with him would be mid August.  Getting frightened and panicking I knew I had to have more information on just what this AN thing was about.   

I am so grateful I found this forum.  The information that is found here is truly amazing.  I had absolutely no idea what all was involved with this AN thing.  I must say there was a lot of information that I read that I was not emotionally ready for however, it is always best to know what you are dealing with no matter what the circumstances. 

After reading much info on this forum about getting more than one opinion and since my ENT was unable to give me a size or location,  I decided it might be in my best interest to goto Vanderbuilt for a consultation while in wait to see the Dr in Knoxville.  I am scheduled to go to Vanderbuilt next week.  Thanks to this forum, I also sent out the MRI & Audiogram to the House Clinic as so many have advised.  I sent it out 1 wk ago, next day air, and have not heard anything yet?  Is there any timeframe on hearing from them?   I’m just wondering whether I need to check with the post office to make sure that the package made it to the destination. 

Right now I'm just trying to fight the anxiety of not knowing what the MRI is saying and what it all means.  On the written results of my MRI  the "Impression:" only states "left sided acoustic Schwannoma".  Another statement on the MRI results reads  "There is a single subcentimeter focus of TV signal in the white matter of the left centrum semiovale".  Another statement reads "There is linear enhancement within the left IAC on the post contrast images consistent with acoustic Schwannoma".  Should anyone know what any of that might mean and care to comment I would appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post.  Thank you all for sharing your information and being there!!

CHD63:
Hi Pattib and welcome to this forum .....

Most of us can relate completely to the feeling of being blind-sided and overwhelmed upon hearing the diagnosis of having an acoustic neuroma (aka vestibular schwannoma).  Take a deep breath.  We are all here to support you as you walk through the decision-making process ..... which, in many ways, is the worst part.

You are off to a good start with seeking additional opinions.  It helps to be able to make the best decision regarding treatment and/or which kind of treatment.

In the meantime, if you have not already done so, send for the free informational materials from the ANA.  There is a wealth of accurate information in the materials.  See:  https://www.anausa.org/contact-us

Although I went to House four years ago for my surgery (when Dr. Friedman was still there), I would also urge you to send your MRI CD to Dr. Rick Friedman at USC for a free consultation.  He will personally call you, usually within 24 hours of receiving your materials.  See:  http://www.keckmedicine.org/doctor/rick-a-friedman/

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice

arizonajack:

--- Quote from: Pattib on July 07, 2015, 06:48:41 am ---
Right now I'm just trying to fight the anxiety of not knowing what the MRI is saying and what it all means.  On the written results of my MRI  the "Impression:" only states "left sided acoustic Schwannoma".  Another statement on the MRI results reads  "There is a single subcentimeter focus of TV signal in the white matter of the left centrum semiovale".  Another statement reads "There is linear enhancement within the left IAC on the post contrast images consistent with acoustic Schwannoma".  Should anyone know what any of that might mean and care to comment I would appreciate it.

--- End quote ---

Hi Pattib,

Welcome to the club that nobody wants to be a member of. You'll get lots of support and information here.

When I sent my MRI to House a few years ago it took about a week to be contacted so you ought to hear from one of the doctors within the next few days.

As for the terminology you posted:

"left sided acoustic Schwannoma"

That one's self explanatory. :-)

"There is a single subcentimeter focus of TV signal in the white matter of the left centrum semiovale". 

I've never seen that in any of my reports so all I can say about that is "subcentimeter" means less than one centimeter. A centimeter is about 3/8 of an inch.

"There is linear enhancement within the left IAC on the post contrast images consistent with acoustic Schwannoma". 

That's the easy one. IAC is the bony Internal Auditory Canal where most ANs get started.

Check out the following article that I posted the other day. It gives you all the basics in an easy-to-read format.

http://www.stlukeshospital.com/workfiles/patient_resources/hospitals/acoustic_neuroma.pdf

If you have (or can get) the CD with your MRI images you can compare your images with other AN MRI images on the internet so you can see the location and size.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1000&bih=586&q=acoustic+neuroma+mri&oq=acoustic+neuroma+mri&gs_l=img.3..0l6j0i30j0i5i30j0i8i30j0i24.2702.6846.0.7111.20.12.0.8.8.0.100.1053.11j1.12.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.20.1143.87DOD9Nbnik

MRI images often have a centimeter scale on two sides of the image so you can get an idea of two of the measurements.

A small AN of less than one centimeter could look like this one:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/tumors/images/acoustics/acoustic%20r0002-cropped.jpg

Were you having any symptoms that prompted the MRI?

Pattib:
Actually it was back in Oct 2014 that I had gone into my ENT for very loud hissing in my left ear.  He gave me some medication at that time and it seemed to help at least making the tinnitus not be so loud.  I needed to go to my ENT for my checkup regarding my allergies in June and that's when he asked me about the tinnitus.  I actually had to stop and listen but yes I could still hear the hissing in the left ear.  That prompted the MRI.  I have had some dizziness once in a while but that seems to be when I get up suddenly  or turn my head quickly to one side or the other.  Never gave it two thoughts.  I have had some tingling in my left cheek but I only started to feel that since I found out about the AN and started reading about it.  One of my big fears would be the involvement of the facial nerve.  I can't help but wonder if my nervousness about this whole issue isn't causing me to feel things that are not contributed to the AN.   

Thank you Arizonjack and Clarice for your responses.  It is so helpful to be able to reach out to others in this time of uncertainly.  I am so gratefull!!

PaulW:
I am not a medical professional so please do not accept anything I say as true..
"There is linear enhancement within the left IAC on the post contrast images consistent with acoustic Schwannoma".  The good news the IAC is small so your AN is small.. Probably 10mm or less. A good size for Watch and Wait. So it's not urgent..
The other enhancement can be a lot of things, most are nothing to worry about.
Migraine is the most common cause. Infection as well. i wouldn't worry about that unless you have other problems. It would appear from the report that the radiologist has made no attempt to identify what the "focus" is.. White spots are common especially as we get older, and very common for migraine sufferers. Do you get migraines?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version